Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Aaarrrgh! My SB8 is annoying!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pelera

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:03 am    Post subject: Aaarrrgh! My SB8 is annoying! Reply with quote

I've got that dreaded intermittent problem that is a pain to hunt down. I hope you gents can shed some light on it.
My SB8 left me stranded on the freeway after 5 minutes of easy riding. Bike hadn't even come up to temp yet. Started sputtering/coughing a little at first, then more and more. Finally, dead. Pulled over, popped open the fuel cap to make sure it wasn't an air breather problem, but that didn't help. No "hiss" when opening the cap either. I tried over the next hour to start, but it ticked over a few seconds, then nothing.
I got it towed to my house where it sat for a week. Today, started it up and rode it (not too far from home) for about 10 minutes. Rode it VERY aggressively with NO hiccups at all! What could it be? I replaced the fuel pump a year ago with somewhat similar issues. It still stubled right after the fix, but not as much. Is it possible my pump is bad again? Do fuel pumps work sometimes and not other times? Please help!
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That mate is the "Joy of Ownership".

It sounds like you thought it was fuel starvation, could it be a fuel filter ? a kinked fuel hose or maybe the fuel pump electrical connector is half on / off
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy

Last edited by Evilchicken0 on Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
SB8R Tuner

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like the TPS to me. I had my TPS go nuts and act like that before. I also was dyno tuning an SB8R and had the same thing happen on the dyno. TPS are hard to come by and very expensive!! If the cost of a new TPS scares you, I have an alternative fix for that. Haven't had any fuel pump problems before.
Suzuki 1988 GSXR-750
Suzuki 1989 GSXR-750R
SpikeC

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does sound a lot like a clogged fuel filter. Did you change it when you did the fuel pump?
Or maybe it was just because you weren't riding it hard enough! Very Happy
1965 Triumph T100SC
pilegoteam

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fuel press reguletor??? just under the fuel tank...
wdm

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree w/ SB8R Tuner. Had similar issues w/ both of mine. Mark position of TPS (Sharpie silhouette on TB will get you close). Remove and clean with Electronic cleaner aerosol solvent by spraying into small hole on the side of the TPS using the straw provided with the cleaner . There are two holes, one works better than the other. Try rotating the TPS while doing so to expose all internal surfaces and provide mechanical scrub. I saw small black particles (carbon?) coming out with the solvent as I rinsed. May take a few tries. Probably want to check the voltage output of the TPS per instructions as they are sensitive to clocking after re-install. I believe the build up is from blow-by into the TPS housing. Scared the $hit out of me a few times while riding on the highway before I fixed mine. Eventually all the hesitation and rough running went away.

Good Luck!

I saw them new on eBay.de awhile ago. A can of the parts cleaner is a lot less.
atomibart

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry guys I am French and not so familiar with english technical words so could someone explain again to me what TB is and where the TPS is located?
I am experiencing the same problem with my SB8RS now...last winter I cleaned the air filter, changed the spark plugs and some crackled hoses, had the injectors cleaned in ultrasound bath...and for the first ride of the year I encountered this problem when opening the throttle.
I'm still fond of my bike though.
Many thanks in advance.
atomibart
wdm

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see waggy posted the parts diagram in another thread showing the TB's and TPS. Were you able to fix the hesitation?
Best - Whit
atomibart

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Whit,
I didn't have time to fix the bike yet. I have to remove tank and air box and throttle bodies again before accessing to the TB.
I will post when it's done and my SB8 runs fine again.

atomibart
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> SB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: