Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Replacement chain and sprockets

View previous topic :: View next topic  
50something

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 7:35 pm    Post subject: Replacement chain and sprockets Reply with quote

Can anyone help. have a SB6R and am trying to replace chain and sprockets, how do you get at the front sprocket to remove it?
2bims

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calling all SB6 owners....someone please tell him....you should be taking this task in turn with the news.....not being an SB6 owner...I darent tell him.....not my task.... Laughing
50something

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't tell me I have to drop the engine, I was hoping for an alternative, not much room down there,
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pour yourself a drink and sit down Very Happy

Yup you need to drop the engine - so if the chain is old but still serviceable I would take the rear sprocket off clean and turn it around. Then wait for the end of the season before changing them. If it absolutely can't wait and you want to use the bike buy a rear sprocket and a reasonable quality chain cut the old one and use it to pull the new one through, run it till you can change it.

Check the valve tolerances when you have the engine out. Phil is looking at making some engine stands to make the job easier they might be about £170
2bims

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done Evil...you took one for the boys there...and are relinquished from the sorrowfull task next time around........

PhilFingers has made the stands to make the task easier....his number and the stand is on page 5 of this thread....under an SB6 engine...

http://www.bimotaforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=4337&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=45
Jonny B Bad

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 10:00 am    Post subject: SB6R chain & sprockets Reply with quote

Just done one. Basically, it's all the gubbins above the motor off. Then the rad off, noting that the bolts holding the rad brackets are likely to have seized and will prove interesting to get out. Then the downpipes have to come off. Next the engine bolt at the back of the motor out and the spindle which holds the sidestand bracket, whilst supporting with a jack under the sump. Loosen a little (but leave in) the front engine mounting bolts and the motor will pivot down on these two bolts. Unfortunately, even with the chain fully loosened, it will not allow the motor to pivot down enough. So break the chain, by grinding the head off one rivet and pushing it out with a chain breaker. Put in 3/4 links from an old chain, or buy a new chain that is too long and take a few links off it. Clearly, the extension links can be inserted with M5 bolts and nuts, they don't need to be riveted. Now the fun really starts!

With your longer chain, the motor will now pivot down enough to get at the engine sprocket nut. First of all apply the most powerful rattle gun you can buy, while the nut laughs in your face. Then put a large piece of wood through the back wheel spokes above the swingarm so that the wheel is prevented from turning. You will also need to put a piece of wood between the back of the motor and the swingarm to stop it pivoting, whilst your trying to turn the nut. Then apply a breaker bar, whilst the nut again laughs in your face. Then slide a scaffold bar over the breaker bar, whilst the nut again laughs in your face, saying "is that all you've got weedy boy?" You then respond by sliding an Olympic weight lifting bar into the scaffold bar - by now you're about 10 feet away from the nut, so best to have somebody holding the socket squarely on to the nut. You then apply all of your strength to the far end of the weight lifting bar. Just before the end of the bar touches the ground and you're starting to contemplate calling in a strategic nuclear strike on this pesky nut, it suddenly goes "alright big boy, you win" and comes loose with a bang that makes the loyal assistant at the socket end think that he/she's been shot!
50something

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. at least I now know what needs to be done, I think I will just replace the chain and rear sprocket and revisit at the end of the year as suggested.
Cheers.
Jonny B Bad

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 12:31 pm    Post subject: SB6R chain & sprockets Reply with quote

Like big cats, these nuts sense you fear, and prey on it Laughing
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wise man Smile

If you use an Afam chain you can get one of these tools http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-FJ1200-ABS-91-95-AFAM-Easy-Riv-Chain-Tool-/282011631868?hash=item41a93400fc:g:GDQAAOSwYIhWl~eT
Easier than a hammer and riveter
The sprockets are GSX-R1100, there's a code on them that you can quote to get replacements.
50something

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I have used the Afam chain and it came with the tool as part of the deal. Could you tell me the torque setting for the front sprocket?
Cheers for the help, much appreciated.
Jonny B Bad

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 12:19 pm    Post subject: SB6R chain & sprockets Reply with quote

130NM I believe, which transforms itself to about 13000NM, after a few years of the output shaft screwing itself into the nut every time you give it the beans!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> SB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: