Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

YB9 SR Imported from Italy

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PaulDB2

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 11:57 pm    Post subject: YB9 SR Imported from Italy Reply with quote

On Thursday my second Bimota arrived, a YB9 SR. I had been thinking about a YB8 or YB10 but having sat on Laminators examples at the Manchester show I had persuaded myself I was a bit too old and stiff for their riding position. However I must have forgotten all about that when this YB9 turned up on Ebay in Italy. The temptation was too much Very Happy
Not had much chance to go over it in detail yet, but I am sure those more knowledgeable than me may have some observations. The original exhaust can, pillion seat pad and a pair of new tyres came with it. Will get some fuel for it tomorrow to check the engine out.
Overall it seems very clean, but the disappointment being that I did not spot from the photos it no longer has the Bimota clip-ons. The vendor mentioned the surface cracking around the nearside mirror but not spotted was the corner of the screen is missing though it has been tidied up quite well. I suspect a fall on the nearside which may have taken out the original handlebar. Despite claims by the vendor that everything works, the front sidelight doesn't work, the rear brake light switch appears inoperative, and the indicators seem to have their wires crossed, indicate right and the rear right and the front LEFT come on and vice versa Shocked Hopefully easily sorted (famous last words)
[img]
[/img]
[img]
[/img]
PaulDB2

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops, may be wrong about the clip-ons. Just been looking at the BCP website and the picture shows a black handlebar similar to mine.
2bims

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks allright though Paul.....not so familiar with YB's as you know....not so sure that they came with bespoke Bimota clip-ons...as the switchgear, brake master and cable operated clutch were yamaha items from original bike...so maybe they are stock???

Indicators should be just switch front cables around......rear brake light switch...check if front works...fine...then twin filament bulb OK....clean connecter spade on rear brake light pressure sensor on back of brembo master brake unit...as its hydraullically operated off the pedal...sometimes its just a bad connection...but they are known to fail...and once gone...theyre gone....Ducatis use same unit....900ss, 748/916 etc

Not quite the same unit..but would fit...the old style units for Ducatis are getting rare and not now normally stocked by Ducati dealers....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-single-banjo-pressure-brake-light-switch-M10-x-1-00mm-ideal-Ducati-Aprilia-/150946196296?hash=item2325182b48:g:TQAAAOSwBahU0-Uq
2bims

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skidmarx still do screens for YB9's in a myriad of colours and tints..evidently they dont have the fairly standard "black" borders that Bimota use though around the sides where it meets the fairings

http://www.skidmarx.co.uk/bimota/20388-bimota-yb9-standard-screen.html
PaulDB2

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks 2bims, I knew you would be able to help. Will check out skidmarx later. Brake light works from front brake, not sure if rear brake switch is needed for MOT. Need to NOVA the bike this weekend.
2bims

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes....is needed for mot.....fr and Rear
Bud977

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is one nice looking bike. Bimota did a great job of moving the YB4/6/8 design up with a more modern look. That great frame is still exposed and it is a real feature of the bike.
richie rich

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a lovely looking example Paul! I've just bought my first Bimota, a YB9 as well (in Blue). Needs a bit more work than yours to bring it back up to spec as it's spent 15yrs sitting in a warehouse in Japan, despite it's 10,000kms it needs a bit of TLC.

I like the higher mounted exhaust on yours, looks much better than the standard low-slung job, will use yours as an example of where my exhaust needs to sit.

Cheers, Richard.
firststrike

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice looking Yb9, i also have a Yb9 but the Sri model, skidmarx do make the screens which need a little bit of fettling to fit and you have to drill them yourself, not as nice as the standard screen though. One other thing, that fairing must be fun to remove for servicing, the Sri one is in three parts so easier to remove Very Happy
firststrike

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 11:36 pm    Post subject: Wooden block Reply with quote

Does everyone have a wooden block under the side stand? must have been standard issue from Bimota. Very Happy
PaulDB2

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

richie rich wrote:
That's a lovely looking example Paul! I've just bought my first Bimota, a YB9 as well (in Blue). Needs a bit more work than yours to bring it back up to spec as it's spent 15yrs sitting in a warehouse in Japan, despite it's 10,000kms it needs a bit of TLC.

I like the higher mounted exhaust on yours, looks much better than the standard low-slung job, will use yours as an example of where my exhaust needs to sit.

Cheers, Richard.

Thanks Richard, good luck with your YB9, the blue model is much rarer variant, only 26 originally according to the Sarti book. With regard to the exhaust, I too think the higher level of the exhaust looks more attractive, just ensure the alignment of any exhaust you fit has enough clearance, mine is very tight to the swing arm and closer to the footrest than I would have preferred. Laminator's YB9 has the same Arrow system as mine and has more clearance. I'll try to post a picture later.
PaulDB2

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 12:44 am    Post subject: Re: Wooden block Reply with quote

firststrike wrote:
Does everyone have a wooden block under the side stand? must have been standard issue from Bimota. Very Happy

Wooden block is not a Bimota part Laughing I have noticed this on pictures of other YB9s, they do seem to lean a lot on the sidestand!
Not got around to removing the fairing yet, but I know care will be needed to get it off, SRi version seems to be much more practical Very Happy
richie rich

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulDB2 wrote:
richie rich wrote:

Cheers, Richard.

Thanks Richard, good luck with your YB9, the blue model is much rarer variant, only 26 originally according to the Sarti book. With regard to the exhaust, I too think the higher level of the exhaust looks more attractive, just ensure the alignment of any exhaust you fit has enough clearance, mine is very tight to the swing arm and closer to the footrest than I would have preferred. Laminator's YB9 has the same Arrow system as mine and has more clearance. I'll try to post a picture later.

Thanks Paul, will be certain to consider those points when the time comes. Laminator (who has kindly helped me no end with information on some missing parts on mine) posted some pics in my earlier thread (on rear body panel fixings) you reminded me of this - and yes his pipe is at a good angle too.

That said, I got carried away and bought a NOS full Termignoli exhaust system (with carbon muffler) for my YB9 from Europe a few weeks back and it's almost too nice to put on the bike!
PaulDB2

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is the problem with Bimotas, it is far too easy to get carried away! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> YB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: