Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Rear brake pads

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BimotaBoy

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 10:49 am    Post subject: Rear brake pads Reply with quote

Hi Guys and Gals

Anybody tell me how to get the pads out of a rear brake on a YB10. I see the pin and I have tried to pull it but it won't come out. i don't see any "R' clip so I figured you just pull the pin, but I don't want to damage something.
Thanks
who

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, there is a small c-clip on the pin that creates an interference fit in the the body of the caliper on the head side of the pin. That combined with the center spring tension holds them in (and rust).

What I do is pull the caliper off the bracket, push the two pads into the center of the the caliper and off the lands that hold them in place, and tap out the pin on the small side with a small copper mallet, then use a appropriately sized pin-punch on the small tapered end of the pin, (which should be now flush with the caliper body) and tap it gently out a little further. The c-clip on the shaft of the pin will clear the body almost immediately, and the pin will-should easily then come out.

Because of the separate pins on the pads which sit on caliper lands, I don't think the pads could fall out once they are spread and fitted back onto the disk anyway, so in a way once the caliper is fitted up to the disc the pin becomes almost redundant. A new pin would be a sensible thing to replace with the pads.

I've never read a manual, so it is quite possible I'm giving you bad advice Rolling Eyes Hopefully someone else will confirm or reject this method.
BimotaBoy

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 11:32 am    Post subject: Rear brake pads Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. i went back after a cup of tea and managed to get the pin out. I thought of using a small punch but ended up just pulling and it came out. I can see the clip. I needed to replace the seals so once I've cleaned the caliper up and done what I need to do should be fine.
who

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news! It's an easy to understand set-up once you have seen it. I would personally prefer an r-clip. On future caliper rebuilds I will probably drill the tail and lock wire. Don't forget to use mentholated spirits when washing brake parts, as brake rubber seals-lines will be destroyed if you use petrol or petroleum based products. Cheers!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> YB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: