Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Disaster
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bannrikae

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:46 am    Post subject: Disaster Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

First I would like to thank all of you who helped mr with my starting problem, after changing the sprag clutch housing, she was starting first time every time.

Now the bad news, a week ago last friday, I took her out for a ride, still getting used to her and to iron out a few small issues.
About Three miles into my ride, she was loosing power and then a strange noise started to come from the Engine. It took me a few seconds to decide to pull the clutch and as soon as I did that the Engine instantly seized.

Long story short, the Head appears to have come loose causing the piston to seize, the engine then pulled the gudgeon pin from the piston which continued to mash the inside of the barrel before the conrod snapped, this then cut itself a nice grove in the barrel and also the crank cases.

Totally pi**ed off for the first week but now starting to feel a little more positive ( if thats the right word) about the situation.

Looks like I will need either a new Crank, Barrel, Piston and Head, if all these parts are available and then get the engine cases repaired if possible, or get a new Engine.

Still not sure what I want to do, need to get some quotes from Piero first.

Maybe should of brought that ZX10 Sad
redrobin911

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Piero will have the parts but might be worth shipping the engine back to him to look over and give you a price to repair, rebuild and leave it ready to go? Shipping and engine to Italy isn't as expensive or as time consuming as you'd think.....
vort28

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is bad luck , and not a good start to the relationship. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad But look on the bright side , things can only get better.
Shipping to Piero is not a bad idea, Piero has lots of bits but not many complete engines.
I've used Chas to move bikes and bits before and he is in Italy all the time
trev45

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fix it and fix it right and it will last for years

ZX10 or VDUE

Go forward in time and one day you will park next to the ZX10
that you almost brought at a road cafe full of bikes on your VDUE

The ZX10 looks old now real old umm

Some one will come up past the ZX10 and say wow nice bike
the the questions will start coming

- is it new ? its a 1998 model
- what motor is it Ducati ? no a Bimota motor
- Bimota motor ? 500cc two stroke
- that must fly ? yep thats why I am only stopping for fuel hahhaha

In time as all VDUE owners have found out they still look great , timeless I say like a lot of Italian bikes / cars
They don't make two strokes any more , all two strokes now are collectable really

All I can say is you will always be able to buy a ZX10 and the longer you leave it the cheaper it will be

The VDUE will cost more and will be harder to get in time , think long term

Cheers Trev
vort28

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very true Trev.
Think other than the lights ,they looks as good today as they did in 1997

Used mine yesterday, had no fuel in it so went to the local petrol station. Bloke on a 1098 Duc pulled in whilst I was filling up and just stood and looked, eventually spoke to me for 10 minutes or so, late for work again !!

One way home went pasted the TT ferry port in Liverpool , stopped at the lights and got surrounded , one RD500 owner I think messed his pants , he was like a kid in a sweet shop. Crowd was so big port security came over to check what was going on Shocked
45 minutes late home, diner in the dog !! Was I bothered !! was I F*ck , vdue just makes you smile.
Joe Johnston

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done trev and vort your two posts have managed to incapsulate the whole reason for having a VDue. when your knee down in your favourite bend your in the right gear at the right rev,s putting the power on as you exit front wheel in the air at 100 mph wow I'd forgotten it for a while.
bannrikae

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well thanks guys, really cheered me up hearing how awsome YOUR bikes are, off to sit on mine to pretend Smile

Ok, on a serious note, I thought I would put some pictures up so you could feel my pain, or have a laugh. Smile

I sent those to Piero and he said that he had never seen an engine so destroyed or seen a broken con rod before.

Working on a few options with him so hopefully will be back up running soon. Very Happy
trev45

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well what can I say but wow that is a big bang
and like Piero said not seen that on a VDUE before

Good to hear that it will be fixed

Trev
Matty82

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hell, when you said it was a big one, you really ment it. Best of luck an you know where I am if you need assistance
bannrikae

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if you're going to do a job you may as well do it right.
Thanks Matt, I'll let you know what happens.

BG
vort28

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that does not look good. Crying or Very sad
Think the rebuild cost against vs new motor have got to be close plus you would have spares.

Your vdue ownership not being the best upto now. Confused
It will be worth it !! Honest Smile
runesika

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That has to be about the worse start to a new bike ownership as it's possible to have .
You really have little choice but to rebuild it as selling it like that would lose you a big chunk of money , better to start again and end up with a super exclusive bike with the Bimota name AND a two stroke of the likes that will never be seen again . Good luck with it .
runesika

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That has to be about the worse start to a new bike ownership as it's possible to have .
You really have little choice but to rebuild it as selling it like that would lose you a big chunk of money , better to start again and end up with a super exclusive bike with the Bimota name AND a two stroke of the likes that will never be seen again . Good luck with it .
bannrikae

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Vort
Yep, spares v new engine not that much different and as you say, I will have plenty of spares.

Had a bit of bad luck to say the least but at least I've learnt a lot about the bike along the way.

Sent the carbs and ECU to Piero for checking and he found one of the Main jet needles had become detached from the circlip, he thinks that this caused the csrb to remain closed which caused the seize.

I dont think this explains the loose head bolts and when I removed the carbs, the needle was still in place in the slide.

New engine on the way now so should be back on the road in a couple of weeks and I'll have another go.

BG
vort28

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bannrikae

I always find it best if you can find a reason to pin the problem on , gives a slight bit of pleasure and allows for closure on the whole episode . Does appear you have extreme bad luck like me though.
Things can only get better from here. Very Happy
At least with the new engine you know where you are starting from and that some previous owner has not been messing with something they clearly did not understand and should have left alone.

Once you get the vdue 100% you will forget about this minor set back and spend the summer on a 2-stroke induced high !!!! Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> V Due All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: