Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Fitting Ohlins forks to YB8 Series

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bimotabob

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 10:09 am    Post subject: Fitting Ohlins forks to YB8 Series Reply with quote

Hi people,

I have been looking at what model forks be the easist to track down Ohlins wise to fit on a YB8 framed Bimota.

I thought since the Ducati 916/996/998 are similar having the forks interchange for a 10 year run that would be a good start and getting triple clamps or other related parts is possible.

Does anyone have experience with this?
Theres so little information on the YB line even though the series was well received internationally.
Stuck on not being able to find out how long the fork's on the Ducati's measure? If anyone knows i would be most grateful.
Like for example my legs measure total of 730mm from centre of axle to the top of the fork where the top screws on.
However the Ohlins universal fork the FG324 measures 800mm.
So have looked and read online but this information isnt in print.
So i dont know whats a typical figure for a sportsbike, maybe mine is average maybe not.
Bearings and triple clamps are next issue but stuck on fork for starters.
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will probably end up with either bolting in a complete front end or using a cartridge kit.
Because the forks on Bimotas are good quality a cartridge kit might not improve the handling by a significant amount. They will feel different of course.
A front end will most likely come down to a pair of Ohlins R+T forks then you'll have to have a think about radial brake callipers and front wheel spindle sizes ... which is why you end up considering a front end, but of course the geometry can be different so you end up with new yokes.

I'd look at the cartridge kit first - try contacting Ohlins and see whats possible. You might have more luck with a GB company like KTech or Nitron.
bimotabob

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm way ahead of doing that.

The Ohlins forks on the Furano are terrible forks for road use, yes can get cartridges and improve them but looking at $1500 at least to do that and I can see what looks like a hard chroming area getting thin so possibly more costs. Coupled with oddball fork seal size and huge cost ($150 a set on special) And even if i done all that id be stuck with the same brakes which are well off radial braking i have found.
R/T forks off a 916/996/998 would be great to get some measurements off to see if they will do, axle and spacers smaller issue to sort and anyway 17mm axle be ditched for 20mm is a good thing plus i dont use a speedo drive on the front wheel so less to worry about.

I measured the offset and its 35mm, However the other issue is the old ohlins are 51,53 clamp sizing.
Whole front end great option, but then need similar looking rear rim and no doubt many mods to fit that in.

So I'm basiclly in a bad situation compared to if I had just brought a Ducati but i'm stuck with the bike now so need to look at all options, just no information available so its very hard work.
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't just accept it for what it is and ride it anyway ???

Radial master and billet callipers with good pads will be more than adequate for road use and a track day isn't competition. Make the best of what you have up to an acceptable point or as you say buy a new more capable bike

Maybe
bimotabob

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen photos of other Furanos with different forks, they get changed for a reason. You see it a lot with Ducati and Japanese bikes. Changing forks is fairly common.
Its a 25 year old bike and one of the things that can let an old bike down is suspension.
Have put up with it for too many years now, better late than never.
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair comment
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently GSXR are about 735mm
bimotabob

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats interesting, do you know what triple clamp size they are internally though? I'm not sure if theres a Suzuki standard as such on their sportsbikes.

I know the Ducati 848/1098/1109 are 715mm which can be extended to 725mm with the 130mm stroke option.
They are 53,53 triple clamp ID and since mine is 51,53 its probably doable but rather have something where the length is closer, Hayabusa are 730mm.
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know the dia bug maybe a gsxr forum could help. I say it because your asking for ohlins so chances are they do a gsxr replacement fork ...
who

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Furano triples I have here are roughly 51mm top, 53mm lower?

Can't you just re-spring your forks? Usually harshness is a result of over spring, compression and rebound damping should be available through a wide range so you wouldn't think would be part of the problem? Have you checked your sag? (no innuendo intended), you know what I mean... Rolling Eyes

In relation to your deteriorating chrome you could have them re-done for probably less than $300.

Perhaps have a talk to Terry Hayes at Shock Treatment in Sydney au. in relation to solutions, he's a straight shooter and keeps everything real. For instance I phoned him about some forks I have here, and rather than selling me everything that could possibly go into them, he said "they are a very very good fork, some aftermarket springs to suit your specific weight would help you". Great people. I bought some springs!

I can tell you the RSV1000R ohlins I have here are 51 -56 mm, and a set of 06 zx6 forks I have are 740 mm and 50 mm top and 52 lower. Could perhaps shim? They are a radial upside down. Will the tutara forks go in to your triples? Are you sure the lower triple on your bike isn't 53 mm?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> Bimota Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: