Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

DB6R new member and questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
michael ayache

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 12:23 pm    Post subject: DB6R new member and questions Reply with quote

Hello All

Happy to join this forum and looking forward to getting some useful tips.

I have had the db6 for 4 years now - bought it brand new from bimota italy and had it shipped to west africa. The bike only has 4,500km since i travel a lot and only get to ride it occasionally.

Yesterday, something strange happened. i rode the bike for about 150km.
i noticed that occasionally as i opened the throttle (say 7-8k rpm) and then close it, the engine does not rev down. This was very scary and i had to rev up again while holding the clutch for the engine to rev down again. Hope this is not too confusing and perhaps someone can share a similar experience if any. The throttle is smooth and opens/closes normally...but there seems to be a disconnect with the engine...

Second issue - i was told by a fellow rider who was behind me that there was a lot black smoke coming out from the exhaust during most of the ride. this also indicates a fueling issue?

The bike has been sitting idle for almost 1.5 years now. Full service was performed at that time and battery removed etc etc etc.

Any comments are appreciated. Due to my remoteness i do not have access to qualified mechanics.

Thank you and i look forward to your feedback

Michael
SpikeC

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings and welcome to the forum!
Does your bike have a fast idle lever on the left handle bar?
One thing that could cause the smoke is a clogged air filter. I don't know how that could happen with so few klics but worth checking maybe.
Best of luck!
1965 Triumph T100SC
michael ayache

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the prompt reply Spike C

I contacted Bimota italy and explained the situation
lets see if they come back with some troubleshooting suggestions

now one other question: where can i find an after market plate holder and rear turn signals? had to change them twice because they can't handle road vibration or some slight pressure. any suggestions? online store?

thanks

michael
Bivox

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi Michael,

Re tail: I guess Melotti has what you want.
http://www.exclusiveone.com/p/d/536155848

I had a carbon one from Bimota. But I am not sure they still make it.
Also, use screw retention. My DB6 threw off bolts from tail and belly pan.

Re black smoke: bad air filter is a good guess from Spike. If the DB consumes more fuel than usual it may be some electrical problem, a bad air sensor,or so.
The effect is the same: too much fuel, not enough air = black smoke.

Cheers Frank
michael ayache

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spot on Bivox....the air filter was totally disintegrated. Very strange because the bike only has 4,500km. Fortunately i had a spare filter which i replaced after removing the airbox and cleaning all the dust / debris. Bike is running normally now.

Thanks for the lead on plate holder. I will order one. Still looking for replacement to the turn signals though. Any after market leads on this too. The original signals are very delicate and break with the slighted pressure.

Many thanks

Michael
rocketrod

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael I had exactly the same problem with my DB6R when I put a new battery in it went in to limp mode and ran really rich black smoke I had to get the computer reset a mate of mine owns a ducati shop here in Australia I had to access the software through Bimota it cost me about 200.00 Aussie dollars and it was all sorted sorry I am a bit vague on it it was a few years ago.Also check your swingarm on the left hand side where that plastic guard is as the chain wears through and will damage the swingarm.

Regards

Rod
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> DB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: