Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Spondon ducati restoration
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
waggy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi 2Bims,

I did order the form over a week ago online so hopefully it will be here soon but why 10 days, surely its all computerised and machines knocking the forms out. Have ordered another one for next time though.

I am not a fan of blingy anodising, and there was quite a bit of it on the bike, l used the old caustic soda trick, it makes light work of anodising.

The bike did have a starter motor and battery and originally to start her you flicked a toggle switch. The electrics was the hardest job on the bike, it didnt help that the loom did not agree with any wiring diagram in the haynes manual, every wire was red or yellow! Maybe it was some sort of race loom. There wasnt a single fuse on the bike either, so have fitted a fuse box. The old shunt reg/rec that was mounted on frame has been replaced with a mosfet unit under the seat. All plugs are superseal and basically everything designed and moved to allow easy engine access. To drop the engine from the frame its just remove the exhaust, 3 engine bolts and 3 plugs, two fuel quick disconnects and little else.

The little koso dash is perfect and easy to fit, though did have to fit an oil and neutral switch to the engine. Speed sensor picks up on 6 magnets fitted to disk bolts.

I have also used the evans waterless coolant. The rear number plate hanger is a old rizoma item l found on ebay, modified to fit along with a led brake light. So far everything working great touch wood.
2bims

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As ever...well done......and evidently there was just a touch more to do than it certainly first appeared....No fuses and only 2 colour schemes....sounds like the Bimota Santa Monica....they have no fuse box either....but only use one colour wire....Purple.....

Wiring loom not matching anything not such an issue....I foolishly consulted my DB2 owners manual for the wiring loom and its evidently all in Italian...but also bares little resemblance to the actual....
2bims

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aye Up........I see the "Rare Spondon Purchase" in NI has made it into this months Practical Sportsbikes as the "star" article....nice 2/3rds page taken for it and a short story.......... Very Happy
waggy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aye up that was quick, must take a trip down to newsagent .
Think their interested in doing a feature on it later. V55 arrived and posted, hopefully there will be no problems, would be nice to enjoy her before the summer is over.
2bims

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had the photo boy and the odd journo around a couple of times....quite interesting to see all the gear the camera boys bring......and if you ask them nicely they offload all their pictures onto a disc for you and pop it in the post with a copy of the mag featured.....nice to have professional photos of one of your bikes.....

A good time ago they used to offer a free set of tyres for doing an article...but that was when they had an offer on from a supplier...so it was take what was offered and not my choice of rubber.....now theres so many folk tinkering in their garage on "throwbacks of yesteryear" that just having an article done is all thats offered.....most of the journos and photographers are all self employed also...so their time is their money...but if they did a "riding" article....be sure to offset a whole day pretty much as thats what it takes
2bims

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see that in this months PS magazine someone has written to the mag begging for an article on the Spondon Ducati......
waggy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prefer someone writing into dvla and telling them to give me a break. Hope to get the old girl registered soon, fingers crossed.
2bims

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having problems Waggy?.....I fnd that if you get to speak to someone and deal direct usually things get sorted....Whats the issue?
waggy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Having problems" brexit negotiations would be easier. Too long winded to explain but hopeful latest package of evidence sent will sort things out. Would be nice to enjoy before the summer is out.
vort28

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you made the mistake of being to honest with the DVLA. !! Shocked
waggy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it took over two months, but miracles do happen, V5 has just arrived. So its off to get the number plate made up and hope for a dry day Very Happy
brian

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great news Waggy
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
2bims

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hooray......what did they register it as?...Spondon, ducati....waggy special??.
waggy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi 2bims,

They have just registered it under make as 'Sports Motorcycles'
They could have called it bumble bee for all l care, just glad to get it registered.
2bims

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Age related Number plate? or do you have "funny" plates over there......Dont suppose it matters with a spondon framed bike re "manufacturer"....so yeh...sports motocycle is fine...as long as they didnt list it as a tractor/3-wheeler........
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: