Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Chain fouling suspension bolt

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan_Drover90

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:54 pm    Post subject: Chain fouling suspension bolt Reply with quote

Just had my sprocket carrier milled out and an insert made to accept a 6005 bearing, as the seat was pitted, it's now running true but the chain is still rubbing on the bolt head that fixes the suspension linkage tie rod to the swingarm. Parts manual shows the inboard spacers are correct, I'm at a bit of a loss now does anyone have an idea whats wrong? I'll get some pics up later
Thanks Tom[/img]
Alan_Drover90

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now realised that because the 6005 bearing is narrower than the oem bearing my rear sprocket is offset too close to the wheel. I can slightly see this when looking along the chain and obviously the rubbing is a dead give away.
Bike came to me with a 6005, it was a close fit but not tight and was spaced out with a homemade spacer done out of coke can or something resulting in the pitted seat and oval bore! I was incorrect in thinking a custom insert would solve the problems.
As it is now the sprocket carrier sits flush to the wheel, should there be a gap between the two? A gap there would bring the rear sprocket into line and get the chain clear. Either the inboard spacer needs to be longer to rectify this, or get the actual right bearing from Bimota Spares (in stock) and get another insert made, this time to original size.
I'm also getting new cush drive bushes and rubbers to replace the obviously homemade rubbish that's fitted at the moment. I've got a history of work done on the bike and it's shocking as all this has been done by a very well known suspension company back in 2000. Previous owners must've been clueless, at least it's come to a good home now even if I have got a lot to learn.
Any advice or rant would be appreciated!

Cheers Tom
Alan_Drover90

Double post

Last edited by Alan_Drover90 on Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Alan_Drover90

Triple post!
2bims

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've posted in the YB section....but not said which YB...what wheels are on it? 3 spoke Oscom/Bimota wheels? A picture would paint a thousand words and let others help/comment.......
Alan_Drover90

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah! YB7, 3 spoke oscams, it's got to be the narrower bearing as I said in my second post. Hoping someone can say whether theres supposed to be a gap between sprocket carrier and wheel, if I could find out the width of the original bearing I can get the inner spacer made to suit. I'll get some pics up tonight cheers
2bims

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming that your sprocket carrier is the same as used on DB2 that also has the Oscom Bimota 3-spokes.....there is no gap between the sprocket carrier assembly and the wheel......Wheel sould evidently have a bearing either side and a steel tube inbetween them that one face of each bearing drives against.....then the sprocket carrier itself has 2 bearings in it and the rubber rings and steel round collats that locate over the allen headed bolts that fit into the hub of the wheel....the whole thing locking together with spacers either side on the outside....and the rear brake caliper bracket

Laminator is the one to ask on here as he has a YB7........
Alan_Drover90

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks there's only one bearing in a YB7 carrier assembly. Forgot to get a picture of the suspension linkage bolt but maybe we can see what's going on from these

The carrier assembly on the wheel with faces touching:

The inboard spacer has some play between the wheel beraing and carrier bearing

Exploded view of everything except the wheel:

They are in the same order as shown in the workshop manual but it doesn't seem to show the very outside spacers anywhere

Dodgy cush drive repair? :
who

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Normally (on all bikes) there is a spacer (separate or built in) between the sprocket carrier and the wheel. Otherwise the carrier gets pulled down onto the wheel, and there is then no clearance between the cush and the wheel, and things crack etc.

The spacer is required to keep all the bearings in tension.

What you have to determine is whether the carrier bearing when fitted is spaced (with a spacer, or integral by design) against the wheel bearing.

I've had bikes where the spacer has lost during tyre changes, and hence missing. I'm not sure about the YB7, especially since you have been changing things, but there should be no free space between bearings.

All bearings should be in contact with each other (at the correct spacing), so when the axle is tightened the bearings remain at the correct distance from each other, leaving the bearings to be the thing that is under load.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> YB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: