Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

DB5 fork and yoke

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bivox

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:45 pm    Post subject: DB5 fork and yoke Reply with quote

Hi, I got my DB5s with the handelbars mounted above the yoke. Obviously, the fork has been pushed higher up through the yoke for that. As I want to go back to standard for better stability I wonder how much does the fork normally go through (in millimeters)?
Tnx much, Frank
2bims

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow...I'm amazed that someone has managed to drop the forks through that much and been able to ride the bike with the clip-ons above that level...without them having conflict/the levers hitting the fairing....Although saying that...the top yoke is recessed with the intricate milling and "sunken" appearance....I can post pictures up of a standard DB5S where it looks at least 10-15mm through the lower level of the top yoke.....On my DB5R...which admittedly has different forks but similar sunken edge around the forks on the top face the forks protrude through some 13mm this distance being just the shiney silver part of the fork and not including the top cap...Just be careful when relocating the clip-ons below the top yoke....that the throttle cable and choke cable are properly routed...so that on full lock they arent trained....
2bims

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When re-tightening the centre steering tube ring nut....Workshop manual says tighten to 22Nm and then turn back by 20 degrees....fork clamps on yokes are 22Nm for M8 bolts and 45 Nm for M10 bolts....so check what size bolts are holding your yokes...should be M8's from recollection
Bivox

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks 2bims, will do.
BTW: clearance of the handlebars is not an issue. For my taste the DB currently is too nervous. Although admittedly the riding position is quite comfortable with the bars up.
vort28

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bivox wrote:
For my taste the DB currently is too nervous.

Wow , I would'nt class the DB5 as nervous. Think when you raise the yokes back up the forks things will get far better.
They are a nicely planted stable ride.

You might want to check other things if the bar/yoke change does not sort it out.Previous owner may have changed rear ride to compensate for forks.
vort28

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bivox wrote:
For my taste the DB currently is too nervous.

Wow , I would'nt class the DB5 as nervous. Think when you raise the yokes back up the forks things will get far better.
They are a nicely planted stable ride.

You might want to check other things if the bar/yoke change does not sort it out.Previous owner may have changed rear ride to compensate for forks.
Bivox

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@vort28: You're right, the "nervousness" might result from a combination of various factors. One being rather harsh load changes. As a new chain is due anyway, I will go down one tooth at the rear sprocket. Hopefully that will smooth things over a bit.
The rear damper is the standard Extreme Tech, turned to the soft side though. Tires are Michelin Pilot Power III which I don't like as much as its predessors.
2bims

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should find the bike Far better with the clip-ons in the right place.....whether it be a DB5S or DB5R...neither bike is ever fitted with a steering damper....as it simply doesnt need it....so when corrected you should find a massive improvement.....check your tyre pressures are right...as I find Michelin Power series a good ride on the DB5....Original Pirelli corse tyres used to whiteline and made the front twitchy with its V profile.....
vort28

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I generally replace all my OEM tyres with Michelins when I need replacements. Like the michelin profile, seems to suite my riding style. However I did move up from the old Power 2's to the newer 3's earlier this year on my DB7 , and they do steer a bit quicker than the 2's but still a very nice smooth role in and feel confident , not twitchy/nervous.
As with all Bimota's the suspension is infinitely adjustable, which means it can be messed up as easily as refined.
I'm sure with a few twists here and there you can have the 5 back to were it should be.
Do you have the handbook with the standard settings ?
Bivox

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep. I have the book and also the workshop manual.
Re settings: I went from standard to the soft side, 2 clicks or so, but left the preload untouched. It is still not as comfortable as my Voxan but ok Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> DB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: