Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

SB6R Service Items and exhaust

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spongebob

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:34 am    Post subject: SB6R Service Items and exhaust Reply with quote

Putting my SB6R to bed for the winter so thought I'd give it a once over before she goes off to hibernate. I have got the bodywork off and discovered the following:

Exhaust - bad crack where the pipe splits back to 2. Suspect repairable but does anyone do a more "sporty" rear system?
Air filter - looks like just a lump of old foam roughly chopped out. Is there a proper service item or do I just wash this out as per owners handbook?
Radiator cap - has obviously been leaking. I guess it's a Suzuki item but couldn't find the right part number trawling on line parts diagrams. Anyone advise?
I'll drain and flush cooling system. Is it worth replacing hoses with a Samco kit given originals are now nearly 20 years old?
Finally will the engine start and run with a remote fuel tank in order to do the above?

Anything else recommended whilst she's naked so to speak.....

Many thanks for advice
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

to the last 2.
I've used a Samco kit on mine (SB6) but be prepared to cut them to fit.
Yes you can run it on a remote fuel tank, you'll be surprised how fast the fuel drops !!!

I don't think there's a sporty pipe as such, you can cut the silencers off and use aftermarket
Airbox foam - I think you can buy pipercross foam or look for a flat panel KnN type cut it to shape and silicon a frame to it
Jonny B Bad

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:41 pm    Post subject: SB6R Reply with quote

Exhaust - later ones were supported at the joint by a plate welded on. Aftermarket cans can readily be made to fit to the seat unit. The tricky bit is the bent "Y" piece connecting the cans to the downpipes, because you can't offer it up without the cans attached to the seat unit. But it can be done. A lighter exhaust, combined with lighter wheels, make the 6R a completely different bike.

Air filter - ITG will make you a proper one.

Rad cap is not sourced from Suzuki I'm afraid. Your only answer is to get a new neck made that will take a readily available cap.

It's well worth replacing the coolant hoses. Samco does a kit, of which the 2 bespoke hoses fit (fortunately), but many of the others do not, as Chuckie says.

I put my tank on a workmate and connect a longer hose to the pipe into the airbox.

Worth doing the valve clearances while you're in there.

Getting the HT leads and the hose to the rad neck back in, to allow the battery box to be put back in, after valve clearances can be difficult. A lot to be said for putting in flexible aftermarket leads, which necessitates new coils.

If the bike hasn't been apart before, brace yourself for some seized fasteners, by buying a large box of cobalt drill bits. Take as many bolts out as you can and copaslip them, for future ease.

I assume the fuel pump has already been junked? If not, now would be a good time to get rid of it.

Good luck.
Spongebob

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies; really helpful. Other than the lower fairing all the bolts have come out fine and this was no big deal as it still gave way pretty easy. I'll certainly do tappets, change plugs etc whilst I am in there. Coolant will get drained and flushed and most likely invest in Samco hoses.

I am toying with the idea of different wheels. It's just a question of cost against other priorities. I reckon at least 3k by the time i factor discs and tyres as well. I will be having a word with Jon at Racefit when I go to the bike show about exhausts though!
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spongebob wrote:
I am toying with the idea of different wheels. It's just a question of cost against other priorities. I reckon at least 3k by the time i factor discs and tyres as well. I will be having a word with Jon at Racefit when I go to the bike show about exhausts though!

Do you have the Anchor wheels ??? Very Happy

Racefit do a legend system for a UJM for £1500 I think. I was going to have a look at the back of the system made but never got around to it.
vort28

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have antera wheels you can probably get a 6kg saving.
I have done a previous thread on wheel wieghts.

http://www.bimotaforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=3913&highlight=dymag
brian

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a set of samco hoses sitting on a shelf for about 3 years, not got around to fitting them yet. It's really an engine out job to fit them. Lots of other engine out jobs should be done at the same time... check clutch, rebuild slave cylinder, front sprocket etc
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bits under the headstock and the two hoses at the back of the head could be tricky with the engine in. BTW take pictures of the hose routing and on those back of head pipes the jubilee clips need to go a certain way or they'll foul the throttle linkage. It might be easier on the 6R with less headstock bracing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> SB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: