Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Plug Changing on YB10 Dieci

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bimotajohn

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 6:07 pm    Post subject: Plug Changing on YB10 Dieci Reply with quote

Having suffered the usual ups and downs of Bimota ownership over the last 14 years, I am currently trying to eliminate a starting problem on my YB10, - by trying to fit a new set of plugs. This appears to be a nightmare task. I have successfully fitted new plugs to Cyls 1, 2 & 4, but only after draining and removing radiator. However, access to Cyl 3 plug is almost completely blocked by water pump and associated plumbing. An ex-Bimota mechanic tells me it will be necessary to remove engine and disconnect above plumbing to gain access to change the final plug, - which indeed appears to be the case from my inspection. If so, this is Italian engineering at its worst.
Would appreciate from hearing from any experts out there whether there is any dodge to obviate need for above. Bimota John
oily

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum John
Sorry I can't help with your problem but.......
sounds like normal Bimota engineering to me.
I am just considering inspecting the cutch and cluth slave cylinder on my SB6, guess what.......engine out for both jobs Wink
Oh the joys of bimota ownership
Wouldent have it any other way Laughing
whybeeten

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,Having just purchaced a dieci,i asked the previous owner various pertinent questions about the upkeep and easiness of general maintenance tasks,changing the plugs was brought up and he told me that by undoing the two front engine mounting bolts you are able to tilt the motor far enough to gain access to the plugs without actually removing engine from frame.obviously i cant vouch for this ,not having done it myself but it might be wortha try...hope this helps.

Phil.
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Plug Changing on YB10 Dieci Reply with quote

bimotajohn wrote:
If so, this is Italian engineering at its worst.

Maybe but Bimota are about design not just engineering and all design is compromise. If you look at it that the frame / bike is designed to be compact and that alone then it becomes a bit clearer, plug swaps are sacrificed to achieve the design brief
bimotajohn

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Readers may be interested to know that I finally managed to change all plugs, but only managed to change plug 3 by slackening off the bolt which attaches the thermostat to cylinder head, and then removing the bolt which attaches the cooling pipe to the thermostat. The extra clearance this gave enabled me to fit a specially slimmed box spanner on to the plug. Thank you for Phil's comment about swinging the engine forward. However I would be reluctant to get into having to disconnect exhaust pipes with the attendent risk of shearing exhaust studs. In response to other comment that Bimotas are about design and not just engineering: -In my view it is not really acceptable to cram, say a Yamaha engine into a Bimota frame to achieve low volume and weight, - but then virtually ignore the important aspect of maintainabilty. Careful thought on this is another part of doing a quality job to justify the "exotic" tag. (Another gripe of mine is the frequent Bimota use of Allen capscrews in inaccessible places, when hex bolts would be so much easier to access). [/size]
oily

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,
You've owned Bimota's for 14 years and now your griping about them Laughing
They can't be that bad or you would have moved on to Harley's long ago Wink
zombie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've can reach 3 plugs so its only a 1 in 4 chance that plug is causing the problem.

Don't Worry be happy Laughing

Seriously though, why not check how hot the downpipe on that cylinder gets from cold. If it gets hot really fast - its not that sparkplug giving you the problem. If it stays cold while the others are hotting up it is that cylinder for some reason - yep might be sparkplug Confused putting some water on the downpipes and watching which one stays wet is a good clue.
Pompey

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing zombie is a man of wise words Laughing
husson73

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bimotajohn has ther tipycal bimota owner attitude; we love them but sometimes we hate them specially when we must do commun work and discover we need to disasemble the whole bike or nearly to do it.
SB6 is an other example when you need to adjust the valves: with some frames you can succed without put the engine away or nearly, on some other frames you can't Shocked
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah - get athe SB6 you'll love that Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Fill the oil ... easier through the engine breather at the top of the engine.
Clutch - engine out
tappets - engine out
Dyna coils - no room
Chain and sprocket change - swing the engine on the top mounts
At least the batteries are easy to get to.
As I said before Design is all about the compromises you make, which reminds me, I must drop the engine again DOH !!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> YB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: