Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

DB3 VIN

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rikrok

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:28 pm    Post subject: DB3 VIN Reply with quote

I'm heading to the DMV to register a 98 DB3 later this week. I noticed the number stamped on the frame neck does not match the decal number. Is this normal? The title bears the same number as the decal, but the clerks at the DMV go by the frame number.

Thanks
Rick
Florida
vort28

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally the frame head stock number and the sticker number match, but I don't have a DB3 so don't know for sure on that particular model .
I think I have also read that the USA importer would change the stickers for years, so there would be a 97 -001/002/003 , 98 -001/002/003 etc.
Rikrok

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, it has DB3 00313 stamped on neck
Sticker is ZESDB314WR00001

Since it came from another state, they require a visual confirmation to register it. I hope they don't require me to register it as a salvage bike or the like.
vort28

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vdue chassis numbers are like this

So W is 1998 , which is as your DB3.
My DB4 has a ZESDB4008XR000-- number on the headstock and sticker.
2bims

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup...its as Vort says......For some reason the USA got to number their bikes separate from UK and Europe.....and each year was registered different to that number stamped on the headstock....the number on the headstock is the "real" true identified number for the production run...supposedly 454 in total made between 1995 and 1998........at least your number of 313 on the frame isnt shown as being owned by another person on the only existing register as below:-

http://www.bimota.ch/register/register_bimota_db_en.html

Bob steinburgler of BimotaSpirit in the USA would be able to confirm...there was a US collecter that sld off a few Bimotas in the last 2 years or so whereby each Bimota, including a DB3 mantra, was claimed to be the First i.e. 0001 of each production run.....which we now know is a "run" of bikes for the USA where the USA got to number them differently for each year...starting at 0001 again each year.....The "R" in the serial number is for place of manufacture, that being Rimini

Is it a red and black one? with Silver Antera wheels??? Owner used to always upload a video on youtube to include in each sale on ebay...as below...so check out the video...and license plate which is CA, California??...as his bike was always listed as being 0001 model

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S77weWWFBuY

The uploader on youtube is Cdolan....all his uploaded videos showing the same garage under house with cast iron railings are on here....including a Bimota DB2 and SB6 which were also listed on ebay as being model number 0001...and also a jet bike!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/user/CDolan2/videos

You can also search for Old ebay adverts for sold bikes and your bike should come up also.....
Rikrok

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the bike I bought. I waited for the price to get where I felt comfortable with it. I've only see 2 for sale in the US. The other is $9000, I got this for $5000. Seems to be in great shape with the only mod I can see is that the fuel pump has been bypassed and it is now gravity fed.

So, if I am reading all correct. My fame is #313. But when registered in the US, it was assigned #1 as the first 1998 registered.

Thanks,
2bims

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup....thats correct.....and heres the original advert where it was described as vin tag No 0001

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1998-Bimota-DB-Mantra-With-Ducati-Motor-/331997315836?nma=true&si=UVExFNabwNf4tseDXCrP5pTG1lQ%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

reading the questions section it would seem that the battery has been relocated to under the seat...a decent mod as originals were tucked away under fairing/tank....and I say were, as there would have been 2 No. 6 volt batteries rather than one 12 volt battery
2bims

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've also posted up in your Workshop manual section.....I have workshop manuals on DB4 on pdf's that I could email through...not sure if they ever did a workshop manual for the DB3....it would seem that BimotaClassicParts doesnt have any for sale...although they do have the Owners manual in english...if you havent got one...usually they tell you how to remove the bodywork, wheels etc.....not often in most manufacturers manuals...but often in Bimota ones as the dealer would need to know....and it aint always so obvious
Rikrok

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I would like that DB4 download. I will order that owners manual from them. You are correct, most manuals are useless for actually working on a bike. Most are generic in nature as how to ride and care for the bike.
Rick
Rikrok98@msn.com
2bims

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paoli girroti is the owner of BimotaClassicParts in Italy......they also sell the original leather key fobs that would have come with the bike from new....I'm surprised that the seller didnt include the owners manual...he looked like quite a serious collecter...with also having a Db2, Sb6 and SB8, all Serial number 0001......
This is the key fob that they sell:-
http://www.subito.it/vi/126791316.htm?from=shop&no_navigation=1

and this is the owners manual also...(click to second picture)

http://www.subito.it/vi/123732489.htm?from=shop&no_navigation=1

The guy does also take Paypal with a percentage added for fees as otherwise its bank transfer to euros which may cost more....I would try asking Bob steinbugler at Bimota Spirit in the USA also...as he may have the manuals...I bought DB4 owners manuals from him...and they were a better price

http://www.bimotaspirit.com/forsale.html

I'll dig out the DB4 workshop manual and send through...it maybe a link to a download site via dropbox depending on its size.......
Rikrok

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for all of you help. I'm think of removing (and storing) the windscreen, exposing the total odd looks of this bike. I have been gathering a few of the "different" European bikes lately.
I have
98 Cagiva Gran Canyon, looking for a Raptor
91 Ducati 907ie
90 BMW K1
98 Moto Guzzi Centuaro Sport
03 Aprilia Tuono Racing with all the track bits

Of course living in the US, I have the obligatory Harley
2bims

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rikrok wrote:
thanks for all of you help. I'm think of removing (and storing) the windscreen, exposing the total odd looks of this bike. I have been gathering a few of the "different" European bikes lately.
I have
98 Cagiva Gran Canyon, looking for a Raptor
91 Ducati 907ie
90 BMW K1
98 Moto Guzzi Centuaro Sport
03 Aprilia Tuono Racing with all the track bits

Of course living in the US, I have the obligatory Harley

It was all going so well....right up until the moment you mentioned Harley.. Laughing ...Each to their own, we dont mind...and at least its backing American workers eh?? give it a couple of days and Maybe trump will ban all imports and everyone will be on Harleys.

I've sent you a link to Dropbox to download the Db4 workshop manual...it may require you to register, but its free and you dont get annoying emails or adverts
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> DB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: