Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Zard sound on a DB6

View previous topic :: View next topic  
quikduk

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:58 pm    Post subject: Zard sound on a DB6 Reply with quote

Lets see if this link works and if the sound is not too distorted. I had to shrink the file down but it is still 4MB.

http://vid107.photobucket.com/albums/m304/ducatisti750SS/Zard-DB6.mp4

edit: sounds great with the ear buds in and the volume cranked.
quikduk

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can someone tell me how to upload an mp3 audio file here? Photobucket obviously won't upload it and I cant figure out the code to share the files.
2bims

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good
.....never heard the squishy zardcarbons before.... Image zard cat free headers and titanium baffle free arrows on my DB6R....wonderful sound....bit....and maybe it's an age issue.....just a bit too loud....lots of back pressure and popping and banging.....cat free zard headers and oval titanium open cans....on my Db5....which are a nice sound, without giving you a headache...
quikduk

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will have to ask the previous owner. He may have internally de-catted these pipes. That was in the garage so a little louder and with some resonance. I like it though and since I wear ear plugs to minimize wind-noise caused hearing loss (ex racer...what was that you said?).

I was able to convert these other sounds into MP4 videos with a still image and sound added so as soon as PB is done uploading them, I'll share them.

Wish my bike sounded like that (once you hear them you'll understand).
quikduk

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing runs great now. Sometimes, I think I am having a little fueling hiccup between 3000-4000 RPM...but it might have been sloppy throttle use over bumps as the suspension is still a bit stiff. I will be taking existing measurements this weekend and will report my findings.

Overall, the suspension is very nice. It is just a bit jarring over sharp bumps and rough pavement. It is as you said in another post, they are setup right for the track but not so right for roads.
quikduk

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok so the cost of cat-free headers from Zard is around 420 Euros including shipping. I just need to determine what benefit if anything is worth that much versus almost covering the cost of the Matris steering damper kit which i could really use at times.

Decisions...decisions...
2bims

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hhmmm....there is an easy answer....that you can probably guess......get both.......... Laughing

If your climate and riding terrain is tights and twisties regardless of whether the wind is blowing......and roughish roads......yeh the damper takes priority....the DB5's dont have one and dont need one....rarely if never do they get twitchy....but the larger more upright position and head front mass of the DB6 means they do get affected by side winds etc...that gets eliminated by the damper....and on the flie adjustment helps with its mounted position....a quick click here and there and its sorted....

Cat free makes for easier starting, quicker warm up due to free-er breathing...and a deeper profundo bellow from the exhausts......Do you have noise emission level tests on used bikes in your parts??

The engines in either bike need a really good strong battery...anything below 90% and they struggle to turn the lump over....unlike in-line 4's...all electrics may work, horn, lights etc....but the starter wont even crank once if the battery is low...some folk think theres a problem elsewhere as it gets so critical at a point....had it on 750's, 900's and the 1100's....all seems fine but not a murmour from the starter motor and Zero engine turning.....which is sort of good as a low battery can throw the sprag clutch.......

with your previous post you mention the odd glitch at 4-5thou...or maybe its throttle control.....I'd say the later....the fuel injection system is almost like a fly by wire system whereby the slightest movement of the throttle can stumble the motor...far less forgiving in movement than say carbs...part of this is ironed out by cat free system.....I'd ask Spike on here....he has a DB5R that he decatted....for his opinion also
quikduk

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darn it! I guess I "have" to get both then. Wink

I have a brand new Earth-X LiPo battery in it and it stays on the maintenance charger when not riding for more than a few days.

I did the better battery/starter cable setup for my son's 1198 and it made a big difference so I will likely go that route. I made my own out of the same electrolytic oxygen free copper fine strand wire for my 750SS after having to rebuild the sprag twice and it too made a big difference.

I have to work some more to save some extra "mad-money" for bike parts so it will be a bit before I get both items. The head pipes from Zard are definitely better priced than the dealer marked up items over here.

Has anyone actually been able to reach inside and gut the factory cats or is it too much trouble? There are some great motorcycle pipe manufacturers around here so maybe I'll see what it costs to cut out and replace the cats. I just have to match the pipe size and type. Do you know if it is 304SS?

Re: sound restrictions, there are some areas where the California Highway Patrol runs meters and tickets anyone over their chart indicated DB rating...but they DON'T have ratings for the Bimotas... Cool
SpikeC

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can testify that the cable upgrade and li-po battery transforms the starting of these bikes!
As far as the Zard head pipes go, I felt that the price was very reasonable and I am happy that I did it, but whether it improves starting and running, I can not really say. My ass is not sensitive enough, I guess!
1965 Triumph T100SC
quikduk

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:53 pm    Post subject: Zard sound on a DB6 Reply with quote

Don't know what happened to the audio file but it wouldn't play a minute ago so here it is again.

http://vid107.photobucket.com/albums/m304/ducatisti750SS/Bimota/Zard-DB6.mp4

I've got to check my PB account to see whats up.
quikduk

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpikeC,

I am still debating the whole head pipes versus steering damper. I think I could use the later more so perhaps that comes first. Otherwise, more carbon fiber parts are required so I can get better gas mileage as I feel that is far cheaper and less work than me losing some weight... Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> DB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: