Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

YB11 front fork strip to replace foot / axle bracket ..

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stevemartin911

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:47 pm    Post subject: YB11 front fork strip to replace foot / axle bracket .. Reply with quote

Hi guys,
The saga of the scrap fork foot on my YB11 goes on and on ....
Does anyone know someone who may have the tools and the ability to dismantle the Paioli forks ?
I am contemplating now having new foot produced from a billet, the welding option is not favoured and getting a spare is akin to rocking horse droppings !
My last alternative but again I do not have any real experience of modding bikes .....a set of replacement forks ? ...can anyone offer any advise on that option ? ... my logic is to better keep it standard if the new forks will cost more than a new foot for the ones I have ?
At 64 I am not track daying it nor going harry flatters on the road so any benefit offered by a new front end set up would be lost on me and my
skill ( or lack of it ) level anyway.
Any input would be welcome
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good suspension works for everybody you don't have to be on a track, in fact if your on the road it's arguably more important because theres more bumps Very Happy

I'd look at new (different) forks, probably from a Ducati / Aprilla because the wheels / discs are similar. You'll need the forks, clip-ons and yokes to begin with.
vort28

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just done a google search on YB11 Paioli and these came back

http://www.ebay.fr/itm/Bimota-YB11-paioli-forks-51mm-/201467497268

OK it was a year ago but Glen is on and off this forum every now and then , might be worth giving him a mail , sb8rs is his forum name.

http://www.bimotaforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?p=35229&highlight=#35229

Worth a try. If not he could give you a few pointers on fork changes. Win Win if you ask me.
quikduk

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about these links?

www.ceriani.com/inglese.html

http://www.paioli.com/eng/index.html

The biggest diameter appears to be 46mm so new triple clamps? As others have said, maybe some off of another Italian bike mfr. You will have to research and see which bike came with 51mm USD forks. Calipers could be another issue as well as wheel spacers, disc rotors etc...
2bims

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know, only the YB11 was ever fitted with 51mm forks, world's largest ever fitted to a motorbike.....try roy54 on here, he had a YB11 and he fitted the upgrade all Billet 51mm paioli forks to his YB11... He sold the bike and gave the old 51mm forks to the buyer also, so the buyer should still have the old forks....
Stevemartin911

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:32 pm    Post subject: Thanks for your input guys Reply with quote

Hi, thanks for your input guys I am very grateful,
Have spoken to Glen who was very very helpful and gave me some useful info.
The two links to Paioli are dead, they went bust at the end of 2013 no one seems to have any spares stock.
The last one for the ' roy54 ' I will try and get in touch with him.
I think I have resolved the problem as best I can for the time being, will still actively look for a set of forks but in the meantime I have Phil at Italia Sales in Lincoln and a welding shop contact of theirs doing the work for me , one stripping and reassembly and the other the weld repair. I am confident between them they will do a good job for me.
Have a great xmas and new year one and all, we arrive back for our winter visit on the 14th so will try and pack some warm sunshine with the fork leg in the luggage !
Regards Steve
quikduk

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve,

What actually happened to this fork leg? I am assuming it cracked somehow. If so, the casting needs to be very carefully cleaned (scrubbed and then soaked) in a non-petroleum based parts solvent to remove all traces of fork oil as the aluminum castings can be porous. You then need to soak it in something similar to acetone or benzene as a follow-up non-residual cleaner as a second parts rinse and then finally with a good detergent but the final rinse should leave no trace of any oil.

The reason I say this is that I have had many cast aluminum parts in the past (fork legs, automatic transmission housings) that were subject to continuous contact with semi-caustic fluids (of which fork oil and transmission fluid are) and the castings absorbed enough that it made clean and structurally sound HeliArc or TIG welding very difficult without spidering.

Good luck on your repairs and/or hunt for spare parts though!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> Bimota Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: