Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Potential electrical issue

View previous topic :: View next topic  
quikduk

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:49 pm    Post subject: Potential electrical issue Reply with quote

I was out riding the other day/evening and on the way home this issue popped up.

My DB6 has a TransLogic MD3-12 electronic Dash which appears to function correctly. I was riding home at night and I swear my headlight dimmed several times for no reason, then brightened back up.

Now ordinarily my options would be battery or rectifier replacement but when I returned home and put a test meter on the bike, the voltage input at the battery terminals while idling was at 13.95 VDC and the battery is a nearly new EarthX LiPo unit so I doubt it is bad.

The dash indicates 12.6-12.7 VDC so I am not sure if I can adjust it upwards to what my Fluke meter read. I then put the battery on the charger/maintainer and it said 95% immediately after shutting it off and this was after a 35 minute ride at freeway speeds.

The bike also after being immediately pulled off the maintainer still appears to struggle with starting (maybe the battery cable replacement thing is necessary) and the dash still shows 12.6 VDC so what gives?

Any help is greatly appreciated
quikduk

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OH. The other thing was when the light was dimming, the bike started to run like crap (burbling, not smooth, hiccup-like action)...? Confused
Gavin944888

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quikduc

I had a similar issues although not at night with my 999r based bike.

New battery ...new loom ....new ecu........
turned out to be a slack...ish bolt on the earth to the Power Commander

Check your ecu .....battery and any other main earths......it might help

Good luck,

Gavin

Cagiva Elefant 888/955 & adventure sidecar
Cagiva Elefant 999r engined
Cagiva BIMOTA Motard Concept
BIMOTA DB9 (with DB11 rear-end)
BIMOTA DB7-11 VLX MULE (build coming to an end)
BIMOTA DB11 VLX Supercharger
2bims

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the left hand side of the engine, Base of vertical cylinder, there's a big brass earth bolt holding many earth wires. It screws in to a ss unit and then into the alloy head....remove and clean up all bits as there's three different metals there that cause corrosion, it's exposed as well...it's a known issue with that engine on Duc bikes...
quikduk

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I will check all of those out and report back. Does it help to wipe dielectric grease on each ground connection prior to tightening the bolt(s)?
2bims

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd clean all with a wire brush, wire wool. Then tighten then apply grease over the top to seal...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> DB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: