Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Matching frame and engine numbers ?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
runesika

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:14 pm    Post subject: Matching frame and engine numbers ? Reply with quote

I did post this question up in another thread but it failed to get an answer .
Do engine and frame numbers match on the Bimota Vdue ?
My 03 evolution Vdue are frame and engine number 000222 but many seem mismatched , are they later assembled bikes ?
trev45

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No match that I have seen

Cheers Trev
runesika

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Trev . Wow ! I had always assumed that Vdue's were matching but only because mine match . VIN NUMBER ) ZESVT5000WR 000222 ENGINE NUMBER) ZES499AEV 000222 .
Was it just a fluke that my engine and frame come together ? Do I really have the only matching numbers Vdue ?
2bims

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would make sense that the intention was to have matching numbers....as it is the only time they could have done this as its the only engine they ever made for their own bikes....the Vdue500 was not only supposed to symbolise the 500cc...but also the intention was to make 500 examples.....I imagine some early unmodified injected models never returned to the factory for a refund would still have matching numbers...
runesika

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2bims wrote:
Would make sense that the intention was to have matching numbers....as it is the only time they could have done this as its the only engine they ever made for their own bikes....the Vdue500 was not only supposed to symbolise the 500cc...but also the intention was to make 500 examples.....I imagine some early unmodified injected models never returned to the factory for a refund would still have matching numbers...

I would be interested to know if the few original direct injection vdue's that were never returned to the factory do indeed carry matching numbers , until then I'm going to claim the only matching numbers Bimota in the world !!! Very Happy
Weed

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

runesika wrote:
2bims wrote:

I would be interested to know if the few original direct injection vdue's that were never returned to the factory do indeed carry matching numbers , until then I'm going to claim the only matching numbers Bimota in the world !!! Very Happy

My frame & engine numbers do not match & it is an original EFI unit.
runesika

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My frame & engine numbers do not match & it is an original EFI unit.[/quote]

Thanks for the info Weed , I know it means nothing but I would love to know I have the only Bimota in the world to have matching frame and engine numbers . Obviously the only chance has to be with the Vdue as its the only Bimota with a Bimota engine

Very Happy
trev45

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here

Cheers Trev
runesika

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have also found another original fuel injection Vdue sold at Bonhams auction , it is listed as chassis 000114 and engine 000125 so it looks very much like numbers never matched .
Still hoping I've got the only one that the numbers match !
BOFFER

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found an original vdue supplied to uk but never returned. Its at raceways in Fleetwood in Lancashire. Not sure on numbers though but it claims to be one of a few never returned. Personally wouldn't touch it with a barge pole on the basis that in pieros own words, they are better used as an ornament as opposed to a motorcycle.
vort28

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the originals did have matching numbers but once they were returned this all went to pot as case's etc were reworked and changed.
I have seen/heard of matching numbers before , but not many that were not returned and reworked
BOFFER

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Vort, just wondered if your thoughts on vdues that were issued to the UK but never returned are the same as mine. Frankly if Piero advises that they are better considered ornaments than motorcycles I am inclined to believe him. I can only think that the bike at raceways needs to either go back to piero for engine sorting or you buy another sorted engine and put it in. Either option is expensive and makes the 19K price tag look insane when you add another 5k or so for making it run. The only other angle I could think of was that it could be worth more one day as one of the few bikes never returned so from a collectors point of view it is rare, albeit you cant ever ride it. Would value your opinion. I would of said even if you copuld pick up a spare engine for a few thousand you still have the hassle factor and even then the price needs to be nearer to half the advertised price to make it worth it.
2bims

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure Vort will chime in....but for my tuppeny worth.....a Vdues true merit, worth, value etc...is how they ride.....an unsorted one will still run and handle...but the real gem part of the bikes is the engine when running on song.....plenty of real world power matching current superbikes when you consider how the 2-strokes power delivery comes on......more addictive than crack cocaine....a highly exhausting bike to ride but smiles per mile are also the highest of all Bimotas...and probably all bikes....power from 5thou to 10 thou revs is phenomenal with gear changes being a mere second or so between changes....power on carbed versions rated at around 130bhp at the rear wheel compared to standard injected at 95.....But I suppose theres plenty of people that have or want the original that broke the company...even if only to say they have one and never ride or run it...value in both...but value in actually being able to ride and enjoy it to me is worth more than money in an investment.....Other than paying out 100K euros for a Suter...I don't believe theres anything that comes close in fun factor on a 2-stroke...and probably never will be.......

If I was on my "death bed"...something that does come to all us eventually...I'd value the thoughts and memories of having ridden one...be it to the shops, around town...or 5 fun filled days at the TT when myself and Vort both took our Vdues over...this would rate higher than any "value" in a bike that I had never ridden but wanted to....Other than riding theres the sheer fun and consternation of having hoards of people flock around one when on the road or simply filling up with fuel...from one bloke on a Harley that pulled me over just to say he'd never seen one on the road....to a family of 5 in a Vectra , the father of which wound all the windows down at a set of traffic lights and coerced me to rev it up so that him and kids could waft the fumes into their car.....People stand and stare, point open mouthed agag.....are amazed to simply see one let alone one that's used...and often refuse to even sit on it when offered as its "too rare".....in fear of scratching the tank..or being sucked into an addiction they can ill afford save for selling the wife and kids.........Buy, ride and be damned....As long as its a sorted one.... Laughing

Last edited by 2bims on Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
BOFFER

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep cheers 2 bims. I have had an injected one years ago and sorted it out but there is a subtle difference here., The injection bikes that piero sold in recent years were the ones with the engine internals all sorted. They still had running issues and weren't perfect, but they were 90% ok. The original bikes that were sold and not returned were the ones with no engine mods done at all such as wring crank seals, internal oil route passages all wrong etc etc and would blow up pretty quickly. Piero managed to fix all of the returned injection ones with these modifications but my point was the raceways vdue hasn't been returned so its had no mods done and either needs them doing or needs a new engine. Loved my vdue but scratched the itch and moved on. Not to say I wouldn't get another though one day. who knows.
runesika

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally agree with 2bims on this , it's got to be out there on the road and experienced to get the best value out of the Vdue .
BOFFER , I don't think the original poor running bike will ever be worth as much as a sorted evo , it does have rarity going for it but that really is all it has .
Vort , I'm not convinced that the original Vdue ever had matching numbers , I have now found three original bikes never returned to Bimota and all three have mismatched numbers .
I am looking into this now and hope to have an answer shortly to see if I have the only matching one purely through luck of them coming together on the assembly line or when they were returned and reworked .

Anyone reading this got another matching numbers Vdue ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> V Due All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: