Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Pro Italia Suspension Clinic

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> Members Bimota Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
quikduk

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:51 am    Post subject: Pro Italia Suspension Clinic Reply with quote

While not "exclusively" a Bimota sanctioned or supported event, this was attended by at least two Bimotasti Very Happy

We finally had some clear weather here in Southern California after several deep soakings so I thought I would take a ride on the DB6. Forum member Tirefriar and I have been trying to meet for a while now but as I said, the weather had not been cooperating.

I had also recently received an email from Pro Italia in Glendale, California regarding a suspension clinic with suspension guru Dave Moss ( www.feelthetrack.com ) and an accompanying barbeque. Well I couldn’t pass up free food coupled with someone who could hopefully help me make the DB6 ride quality better as well as a nice day to peruse all manner of Italian motorcycles (as well as some others). Tirefriar and I agreed to meet and both arrived around the same time at PI.
quikduk

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There were several dozen bikes parked as well as a lot of others coming and going and Dave Moss was under a pop-up canopy feverishly working on the suspension of various attendees bikes, one at a time. I slipped into the que and before long Dave was working on the DB6. He asked how aggressively I rode and I had to admit that while I could still go like a scalded dog, I tended to be a bit more cautious due to age and previous injuries taking their toll.

After what appeared to be 5 very fast minutes of work, Dave looked at me and said “Go ride it now”. I grabbed my gear, backed the bike up and took off around the adjacent neighborhood to try out the suspension on various dips, potholes, bumps and the like.
quikduk

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, all I can say was WOW! What a difference! It might still need some minor adjustment after I try some of Dave’s recommended riding techniques and suspension adjustment directions but it was WORLDS better.

I weigh around 185# (210# with full gear) and the bike was definitely more responsive. While the rear shock was setup close before, the forks were way off re: compression and rebound damping causing the suspension to pogo over all manner of road irregularities. I will continue to experiment but for now, the bike was a completely different animal to ride.
quikduk

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The suspension clinic also included a condensed, common sense explanation of how suspensions work, how and what measurements to take to help determine then what adjustments needed to be made to get a motorcycle to handle properly based on the rider’s weight, riding style, etc.

It is interesting that it doesn’t really matter how old or new a motorcycle is. It is either set up correctly re: the suspension or it is not. Some of the common fallacies are that the dealer or the factory must have set it up correctly, or the prior owner, etc. You really don’t know until you learn how to properly measure and adjust the suspension. There isn’t any “magic” but really just procedure and common sense.

Interestingly enough, many or the participants couldn’t tell when they last checked their tire pressure or changed their fork and shock oil. All of these will have a direct effect on how the suspension performs and can require some fine adjustments as the fluid ages. Personally, I change my fork oil with every oil/filter/belt combined service which is around 6,000 miles. It really is cheap insurance.
quikduk

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rode a portion of the Angeles Crest Hwy. home along with the Angeles Forest Hwy., Mt. Emma Road and Fort Tejon Road, most of which were fairly clean and smooth and the suspension performed very well with the new settings. I’ll let Tirefriar relate his additional experience of the day re: his SB8R, which is a very very nice example from Bimota but basically, a good time was had by all at the event.

The DB6 did start to act up again re: fueling roughness and cutting out as well as now, while I can hear the turn signal relay click, I get no indication from the signals or the dash so I guess I really must take it apart and look for bad electrical grounds and other bad electrical connections.

Oh well, at least I'll have some time as we are expecting some serious rain and/or snow this week and next.

Wait! This is supposed to be Sunny Southern California...pbthttt.... Rolling Eyes
2bims

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its always nice to be able to meet up with a fellow Bimota rider...a very niche and small club that it be.....So wheres the pictures of the bikes, Barbie and burgers???? elsewhere be they?

Suspension Gurus......work of demons and wizards for sure that they be...changing of fork oil..a forgotten task often for sure that be true
quikduk

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to laugh when I got home because although almost everyone has a cell phone now, I always forget that it has a camera... Rolling Eyes

I'll try and source some pics from PI to post or link.
quikduk

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. So here are some pics from this event courtesy of the PI Facebook page. I can't seem to make them pop up smaller though...

Tirefriar

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HA quikduk, I just saw your thread. The clinic was a great idea, Dave was both knowledgeable and entertaining and it was a Saturday afternoon well spent.

I took freeways less traveled to get to ProItalia. There were very few cars on the 210 so I thought I'd let the SB8R run a bit wild. Going about 130 I looked into my rear view slits and noticed blue smoke trail. Cut the speed down and got off on the nearest exit. I shut it down, dove under to have a look and saw some oil hitting exhaust, but nothing crazy. Luckily, I was at ProItalia's back door by then and with no dash lights on I decided to "limp" it in. By the time I parked it in front of ProItalia, the oil leak was much more noticeable. Naturally, my attention was drawn to the SB8R more than to the clinic although I did get into the front row to hear Dave's presentation on how most of the riders are oblivious to suspension set ups - myself included. At least I'm good about checking tire pressure. It's there that I met Quikduk and we had a blast walking about the dealership, checking out different bikes and talking about life in general. I also checked out Quik's mint DB6. Quikduk is a hands on guy, very experienced in motorcycles and particularly in Ducatti as his AKA suggests. Lots of interesting stuff.

Southern Cal is a bike rich culture but to see one Bimota in the wild is a rarity, to have 3 in one place (I'm including the DB7 in service) is unbelievable.

Good news is I got the SB8R home yesterday. ProItalia found the left engine case gasket and the clutch slave seal leaking and replaced them. So all is good and we are back on the road
2004 BMW R11S BCR
2010 Ducati Streetfighter 1098 S
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> Members Bimota Events All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: