Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

new bimota purchace, new member
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
barrybubbles

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:40 pm    Post subject: new bimota purchace, new member Reply with quote

Hello fellow Bimota enthusiasts....just bought a new (old) Bimota YB7....well, will have tomorrow morning . !!!
....number 294 of 321 made with 2198 miles on the clock from new supposidly. Been fancying a bimota for years but too many Ducati's got in the way....
2bims

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well.... You've come from the dark side...to the even darker side...deepest down of all downs...so all I can say is congratulations. And you've found the forum, so we'll be patient, amd help with any needs where we can...
stockcar

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh dear, you've really gone and done it now....... Laughing
2bims

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this is the bike at unit 5 motorcycles....it looks like the new owner has changed his mind.....unit 5 has just posted on their Facebook page that deposit was taken...but owner has changed his mind...so...still for sale?????
Tirefriar

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2bims wrote:
If this is the bike at unit 5 motorcycles....it looks like the new owner has changed his mind.....unit 5 has just posted on their Facebook page that deposit was taken...but owner has changed his mind...so...still for sale?????

And I was about to give a warm welcome to new brother in arms... Oh, well
2004 BMW R11S BCR
2010 Ducati Streetfighter 1098 S
brian

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What was the go barrybubbles?
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
2bims

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bike he was purchasing is exact same one I spoke about now relisted on Ebay...as frame NUmber and mileage are same as he posted...would be keen to know why he backed out of the deal...i.e....what was so wrong with the bike? Evidently if it was a case of "t'other" half going up the wall at the prospect of another bike coming home....well...we've allbeen there at one time or another and thus no further explanation needed.

Last edited by 2bims on Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
woowoohair

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello to you all. I've actually agreed to buy the bike now so with a bit of luck it will be with me in the very near future.
So my first question is does anyone know if it's the same master cylinder as on the fzr400?
2bims

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WooHoo...quite literally....another new potential Bimota owner for the same bike....Yeh...advert says maybe a new master needed...cant quite see from the pictures on the advert....it looks like what is called Brembo Black coffin box front brake master....but a quick look would tell,,,as it would be stamped up brembo or Yamaha , clutch side is Yamaha on Bimotas as its a cable pull clutch....and usually all brakes are always Brembos, be it calipers, discs or masters, and that's front and rear...Black coffin pot brembo masters are still available NOS..so don't bother with a seal kit....cheaper and more reliable to get a new master...same as Ducati 900SS 750SS etc up to carbie version of 1999....but you could upgrade to a gold series Brembo master with separate plastic reservoir pot...larger pistons, more stopping power.

It looks like the rear indicator stalks are snapped on both of the rear indicators (or unbolted for transit from Japan??)...For heavens sake DO NOT allow the dealer to throw them away...They are now only available from one supplier in the world...he has limited stock and they are over £50gbp each, plus postage, plus insurance plus exchange rate costs and bank transfer as they are in Italy...They were only used by Bimota....no other manufacturer...In the World....and only, I think, 5 NOS examples still available.......You can replace with any indicators...all depends how particular you are on Originality....I do however though...have 2 spare stalks left but have no lenses for them...I bought as spare parts hoping one day I would at least find the lenses to return them to one of my BImotas...I would buy the NOS ones but can simply not justify sticking £50 notes on each and every corner of my bike for an item so easily knocked and snapped...plus the NOS ones are also now over 30 years old so will probably be fragile anyhow...as that's what has been the problem with them.......Dealer says cracks in bodywork....Nope...they are simply cracks in the paint gel coat....Bimotas being hand made....they have one off made hand laid fibreglass bodywork...very think.....so pliable and don't crack due to multi cross layers of glass strands...but the gel coat can crack on the paint finish...mainly because....if you look at the fairing you will see it is entirely one piece....only splits at the bottom of the bellypan...and then you have to prise it open like a clamshell and pull it forward over the front wheel to remove....always a laugh...and thus why the gel coat cracks after routine periodic maintenance...Buy, fix, enjoy and you'll never look back...and evidently you get free trustworthy advice from the Forum...aint no bullsh*tters on here....we'd be too easily caught out

Be sure to check the Front discs if you can before buying....They are Cast Iron Full floaters, with large 28mm offsets...thus rotors are milled from solid billet 30mm thick....still available but at £400 Each or more...it can bite you if they are knackered...They will rattle...as they are called rattlers....to stop heat transferring through to the hubs and bearings...but should only move side to side....not around the circumference of the rotor...if so then the rotor is worn...they will be rusty as they are cast iron and not stainless steel...wire wool cleans this off...and useage will get them cleaner...check for hairline cracks around the drilled holes, lips etc.....Brand new they are 5mm thick...brembo wear limit is 4.5mm...now being remade by other suppliers but still expensive...used by Ducati TT And F1 owners, and Race OW01's etc etc...more bight as CI has 30% more friction than SS...always rust when rained upon...to a nice shiney gold...no probs though...love them......
woowoohair

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great advice 2bims. We met at TT 2014, I had a Benelli cafe racer back then 😀.
I'm hoping as it's only done a couple of thousand miles there won't be to much wear but I will check it 👍
2bims

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howdo WooHoo...so we meet again?...you will have to refresh my memory...are you part of the Benelli crowd and did we meet at the Italian Night at the trainstation where they have the competition for BEst Italian??

Part of the JRH crowd?

evidently if Blonde with Big bazoomers...of course I remember you...just don't be telling me that your 2.5 year old child is asking where to send his Fathers day card to...or where the F-in A are all his Xmas and birthday pressies.... Laughing

I often suffer from senior moments now...I blame all the senior BImota owners I hang out with...I tend to find its contagious these moments...

Now if you'd posted a picture of your Benelli café racer then I'd recall...oh hang on...did it have a 1,000 trinkets and add on bits? And was I on my DB5R that won second prize?? parked with a DB6R, a YB11 and a DB3 mantra in banana yellow?????????????
woowoohair

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes 2bims that's exactly the place it was and described my bike very well. As for the two year old child I'm not sure it works that way 😳😳😳😳
2bims

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand stuff...my mind made a link...nice to know it kicks into gear every so often...Updates on the Baby Bim???

Website at least says deposit taken, sold....if all goes to plan...and if the front brake master is a black brembo coffin pot style...let me know...I'm out of NOS spares of those...but the Italian dealer I use still has rakes left...whole assembly, clamp, lever, pot, master and usually brake light switch and cable is circa 100 euros posted to UK...I'll send you the link if and when you may need it...nice man takes paypal also
woowoohair

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All is sorted with Bim, deposit paid.
They are going to fit new tyres and chain for me, I've had them posted to them.
Even better news is bike was MOT'd last week in preparation for new owner who then decided it wasn't for him.
I've asked Tony at Unit 5 to send me a pic of the master cylinder to check which one it was.
So far nothing but good news, so I'm preparing for the backlash to follow 😳
woowoohair

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does look like the black coffin so a link would very very helpful 👍
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> Bimota Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: