Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

YB11 airbox access ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stevemartin911

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:40 pm    Post subject: YB11 airbox access ? Reply with quote

Hi guys,
Sorry to be a pain but trying to access the airbox / filter area in front of the tank, found two screws that drive in horizontally from front to back and now it's loose but won't come off ?
I don't like using force until I am sure it's justified, are there an other fixings holding this bit on does anyone know ?
Thanks in advance.
Steve
2bims

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not an expert...as my YB11 had air box removed and K&N cone filters on flat slides.....Workshop manual seems to recommend removal of fuel tank...then unscrew four no carb clamp rubbers on underside of airbox...remove associated pipes going into airbox and then pull out the airbox section with front cover box also......Might seem a bit backwards...but the DB4 is same set up as this...to change airfilter which is in a similar box...its remove tank...and then undo carb rubbers then remove air inlet box and filter box separate.......quite often with bimota its a case of full removal to get at a service item....reckon that they didn't intend on owners doing themselves at the time they were selling them
Jonny B Bad

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:15 am    Post subject: YB11 airbox Reply with quote

I assume it's not too dissimilar to a YB8 airbox. The filter is bolted to the bit of the airbox which is secured by the 2 horizontal bolts which you have taken out, with the steering stem preventing the filter being slid out. As 2bims says, you need to release the clamps that secure the airbox to the carbs and disconnect crankcase breather and drain pipe. Once the airbox is released, the bit holding the filter will slide out and the filter can then be unbolted for cleaning/replacement.
who

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty much as you have been already advised.

You have to take the airbox off the carbs. Once removed the front filter section can be removed. The YB11 differs from the rest of the YB range in that the forward section dips below the front rails, essentially captivating it. You need to completely separate the airbox from the bike.

Undo the 4 clamps that hold the airbox onto the carburettors, pull the airbox upwards, disconnect the breather pipes and hoses that attach to the airbox, and remove it completely from the bike. Now the front section will come free and you can inspect the filter. Hope this helps.

2bims

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Who...I was kind of stabbing in the dark as my YB11 had the airbox removed and a set of Keihin FCR41 flatslides installed with K&N cone filters....presumably the inlet holes match up with the holes in the frame...matching to the inlet holes in the front nose fairing?

who

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2bims wrote:
Cheers Who...I was kind of stabbing in the dark as my YB11 had the airbox removed and a set of Keihin FCR41 flatslides installed with K&N cone filters....presumably the inlet holes match up with the holes in the frame...matching to the inlet holes in the front nose fairing?

And the alloy tank etc... Rolling Eyes

I must say the best direction to go in... Twisted Evil Very Nice!
Jonny B Bad

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:11 am    Post subject: YB11 Reply with quote

That's a mountain of work he's done there. Is the front of the tank a dummy to allow the air through to the pods?
2bims

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeh...was a bit of discovery by the minute when I picked the bike up...Bimota Workshop manuals aren't the best...written by the office cleaner no doubt....and this one had lots different.......Big Bore kit, 1044 of somesuch....polished gas flowed head, carillo titanium crank rods, six speed box...that thwarted me for ages until I contacted the previous owner..."oh yeh...I dropped a six speed unit in"....I had countless going up and down counting gears through the box thinking my counting was out.....3 spoke Carbon dymags....AP racing billet 6-pot calipers up front...vented AP racing CI discs...AP racing billet brake master.....billet HD clutch pack.....extra rad added for cooling linking to existing...and that alloy tank with foam baffle filling and link tubes front to rear all done pre CNC days...just good old panel beating/bending and welding....Ruddy thing would do 95mph in first gear before the red line....shortly after I sold it to AN other on here....I just don't need a bike that still has 5 more gears left after 95mph..... Embarassed
2bims

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: YB11 Reply with quote

Jonny B Bad wrote:
That's a mountain of work he's done there. Is the front of the tank a dummy to allow the air through to the pods?

No...front of tank holds fuel...you can see the rubber link pipes from front to rear section...previous owner with a mate used to ride this and his DB2 from London to southern Portugal...and he wanted a longer range tank for less stops....what with the thirsty flatslides though it probably just took the range back to what it was before the engine work......After I bought the bike and his similar very highly tweaked DB2...he sent me all the receipts for all the work done on the bike....even after he bought the YB11...he then garnered a further £14,000 on modding it...similar to what he did with the DB2....which I still have
Jonny B Bad

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:28 am    Post subject: YB11 airbox Reply with quote

If the front of the tank blanks off where the air used to come in, I'm amazed it's able to breathe. Perhaps he'd tuned the motor so much it only needed fuel and didn't bother with air any more Laughing
2bims

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tank did extend way deep down...but only at the back of the tank....the front space where the original intake was was left open and free.....with washing machine style tube intake ducting run from front fairing through frame holes to ram air to the tunnel section of the tank....corrugated K&N cone filters give something like 50-100% more surface area for intake than a normal flat foam filter...
Jonny B Bad

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:06 pm    Post subject: YB11 Reply with quote

That would do it and I can see how it would have made for an entertaining ride. I salute the man who set those flat slides up, given the pain it is to get the carbs on and off a YB. I can see why he moved it on - he must have been a gibbering wreck by the time he'd done - not to mention wielding the junior hacksaw on the frame brace to get them in Laughing
who

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never been a great fan of the YB11, I've got parts here to make up YB11 based YB8 look alike.

Your would have been a keeper though. Very nice specification, narrow band rotors, custom lower rad, and all the engine work...Sweet! Cool
Stevemartin911

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:35 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks for your help, will have another go when I have an hour to spare, bikes not going on the road till April so the wife seems to think it can wait !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> YB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: