Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

DB4 race kitted.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
welshlamb

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:58 pm    Post subject: DB4 race kitted. Reply with quote

AAAgh why are these bikes always other side of an Ocean.
If it were Portsmouth UK I'd be in a van on the way there now.

Anyway for anyone in USA (or indeed anywhere else!) this looks like a great deal to be done.

A 2000 Db4 tricolore with 800 miles (yes!) on the clock and the full race kit with Motocorse Ti exhaust FCR etc etc.

$9800

http://cars-trade.com/details.php?id=19682

I've checked this week and the vendor has confirmed the motorcycle is still for sale. He states

"The motorcycle is being sold as described, clear title, no mechanical issues, everything is in great condition and has been recently serviced. The motorcycle is ready for the road. I am working overseas with ExxonMobil and my contract ends in October 2017. The motorcycle is already crated and ready to go. If you want to find out more details about how we can close up this deal contact me."

I have his direct email contact if interested
vort28

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe there is a plus side to Brixit !!!!!
US import deal !! I'll vote for that !!
2bims

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hhmmmm....something a tad fishey to the trained eye....the old "i'm working overseas at the moment...crated ready to go"...yet the bike seems to be residing in a dealers shop...so why is there no phone number, website, address etc???

A few years ago when I was looking in mainland Europe...the same scam was being used time and again...generally it was pictures of a Bimota taken in a dealers shop, but quickly taken snapshots...not the wheel it outside and take proper pictures type....then you follow it up for a laugh...and 3 times he was a doctor on a cruise ship...but its crated and ready to go...just end monies...held in escrew account or you get some paypale fake request...yes...with the added e...and some Midlands Bank in Birmingham details...followed by Yanna of paypal phoning in an Asian brummie accent to chase up delayed payment...

The real give away of course is when you ask for frame numbers....or spoof questions like...Has it got the genuine grimeca double dish back flip calipers...and they say yes...but don't provide frame number....Severaltimes though I found the same pictures for the same bike for sale elsewhere...but genuinely so at a dealers...with website back up, land line and mobile numbers...and usually twice the price..>Caveat emptor....Give him a wind up lambie...ask him if they are genuine Marchesini wheels...teehee...watercooled engine...you catch my drift?
2bims

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh...and even worse....the courier delivery driver that's dropped off several bikes at my place talked about an address in Edinburgh...where a ships Doctor had left a crated Bimota, or other exotica to be collected...and said duped buyer had actually sent my courier to that address after being paid by the buyer to collect...the resident said...Oh Christ...not again...youre the fifth courier this week to turn up...I haven't got any frigging bikes or anything else for sale...Courier still gets paid as that's the way normally...

Was quite crafty and knew the Bimota market...wsnt asking for half its value or less...just say 20% down on retail to think it was a bargain...but not so far down it would smell fishey....

A proper dealer would photo himself, his passport and stand in front of the bike with both...I've asked for that before...and sellers in Italy have asked for a scan of my passport before allowing me to buy....
hindsight

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AVOID!

Wow - this is a coincidence. I was helping a friend just last week, who was interested in purchasing and importing a BMW, and was speaking with someone who was reporting the bike was crated and ready for shipping.

Quote:
I am working overseas with ExxonMobil and my contract ends in October 2017

The fella who my friend was communicating with was using an gmail address, but his email sig mentioned ExxonMobil (name: Carl Christensen), and he was clearly picking up email from that ExxonMobil email address too (we tested that by sending him a mail to that address).

Here's what the scammer said on the opening email:
Quote:

Date: Thursday, 2 February 2017 13:17
Subject: 2006 BMW HP2 ENDURO R1200GS BLUE

Hello,

The motorcycle is still for sale. Price is $7,650.00.
The motorcycle is being sold as described, clear title, no mechanical issues, everything is in great condition and has been recently serviced. The motorcycle is ready for the road. I am working overseas with ExxonMobil and my contract ends in October 2017. The motorcycle is already crated and ready to go. If you want to find out more details about how we can close up this deal contact me.

Thank You
Carl Christensen

Exxon Mobil Corporation

Carl Christensen / Process Engineer
carlchristensen@exxon-international.com

Exxon Mobil Corporation
exxon-international.com

I got very suspicious when the character involved was clearly using a VPN to send his emails, and the (very professional looking) website for courier company that he suggested using was only registered on the 25th January.

Mike
Bud977

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, very fishy. Here it is for sale for $20,000:

http://suprememotos.com/bimota/90049-very-rare-2000-bimota-tricolore-db4-wfactory-race-kit-ducati-engine.html

Why would someone now sell it for $9,800?

I don't know how old this ad is. The link is to a website that seems to collect For Sale ads from all over the world. At least this ad has the seller name and phone number so you could call him.
welshlamb

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:57 pm    Post subject: SCAM? Reply with quote

Here's what the scammer said on the opening email:
Quote:

Date: Thursday, 2 February 2017 13:17
Subject: 2006 BMW HP2 ENDURO R1200GS BLUE

Hello,

The motorcycle is still for sale. Price is $7,650.00.
The motorcycle is being sold as described, clear title, no mechanical issues, everything is in great condition and has been recently serviced. The motorcycle is ready for the road. I am working overseas with ExxonMobil and my contract ends in October 2017. The motorcycle is already crated and ready to go. If you want to find out more details about how we can close up this deal contact me.

Thank You
Carl Christensen

Exxon Mobil Corporation

Carl Christensen / Process Engineer
carlchristensen@exxon-international.com

Exxon Mobil Corporation
exxon-international.com

Yes that's the same name and gmail address I've got the email from

Now Glad its not in Portsmouth UK as It sound like I would be wasting the petrol. (where was the BMW nominally located)
Bud977

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good work Mike. Old mate Carl must have quite a few bikes for sale. Shocked Twisted Evil
hindsight

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just about to tweet ExxonMobil to warn them that their email had been compromised and was being used as a convincer, when I did a bit of checking. It turns out that the scammer was using exxon-international.com - which is NOT owned by ExxonMobil...

I think this fella might be the miscreant behind this (from the whois informaion behind exxon-international.com):

Quote:

Name
Alex Webb
Organization
Oils Products
Address
2607 Rusk St
City
Houston
State / Province
Texas
Postal Code
Country
US
Phone
+1.71366110
Email
alexwebb1952@aol.com

Last edited by hindsight on Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
hindsight

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: SCAM? Reply with quote

welshlamb wrote:
(where was the BMW nominally located)

Portland, OR
2bims

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The whole crux of all of these...and the all have the same pattern...is that they will NEVER let you come to view the bike...even if they re in a supposed different country to you...you say...My cousin lives in the same town...he will go to view....The real beaut though is that Bimotas are so specific and small production...that simply asking for a frame number will throw them...thankfully there are forums like this and others for other makes where would be buyers can check in first to get an impartial view...I've had several ask me...they don't want to reveal the advert though...as they don't trust me not to snaffle away the realtively cheap bike they've found...so I go back and forth and convince them otherwise...theyreveal the advert...and I show them the same photos of the same bike in a Dealers hop in Italy, Germany,..Harolds back yard..I've seen it all...Just Google "Bimota images"...and every picture loaded on this forum pops up...and you simply open, save and can use.......
welshlamb

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well at least this is a nice clear example of that scam then. As you Say $$ was just low enough to be interesting. I will proceed very cautiously in future!!.
quikduk

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caveat Emptor!

When buying anything, until you or someone you trust implicitly (preferably with the same quality of built-in BS detector as you hopefully have) have put their very own eyes and hands on said product and can vouch for not only the physical validity of the item but it's purported quality, no money should appear nor be given. Anything else is a fools errand.

The older I get, the more skeptical (not necessarily "wiser") I get and while I am the consummate "nice guy", "TRUST...BUT VERIFY"... Cool
v-pilot

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen this before on ebay...couple of years ago around the same time I got mine. I remember it being on Long Island, NY The link in bud's post has a phone number that is in New York, NY so that's probably the correct post. The guy has a pretty good collection of bikes
96 Ducati 900 SS/SP
87 moto Guzzi Le Mans IV se (2x)
78 Moto Guzzi V50
68 benelli 250 65 Ducati 250
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> Bikes For Sale All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: