Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

"Fuel-low" float switch SB6
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gunslinger

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:17 pm    Post subject: "Fuel-low" float switch SB6 Reply with quote

Bimota fans !

Hello - just signed up today.

A quick question: Is a common problem with the float switch in the tank, loosing the ability to float - causing fuel low light flasing/on, all the time ?
My type is cylindric and quite small, just slips into the tank. fastened with 2 screws.

AND -what to do to fix it ? - Bimota spare parts can supply new switch at a giant cost...

Paioli made it, and i cant find any on Ebay. Has anyone had any luck "fixing" the problem?

Im thinking of fabricating a new float, out of floatmaterial...
brian

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a common issue, mine has never worked. I've just left mine disconnected and go by the trip meter. Same issue with my DB4 although the low fuel sender is slightly different.

I don't recall anybody ever coming up with an alternative solution.
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
2bims

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As per Brian says....and on other Bimota models also...they break...hard to find replacements...which then break if you do....so zero the trip meter, ride 150kms, and fill with fuel...far more reliable than a "low fuel" light...which is triggered by fuel moving around in a tank on a bike that's leaning into bends, braking etc etc...plus...If you remove the old one...the bolts may snap...the tap then leaks at the seals etc etc...We say "if it isn't TOO broken...don't fix it..."
brian

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2bims wrote:
...We say "if it isn't TOO broken...don't fix it..."

Haha very fitting. Agreed, dangerous pulling shit apart that doesn't really NEED to be pulled apart. Breaking unobtainium parts can be expensive
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
Jonny B Bad

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:18 am    Post subject: low fuel light Reply with quote

The problem is the hole in the bottom of the tank is barely large enough to get the float on the low fuel light sender through, when it's new. I guess the float might swell a bit - especially if the dreaded ethanol is in the fuel and if you have to use any force to get the float past the hole, it distorts the brass washer underneath it, which I guess makes the contact and wrecks the thing. They seem to be of varying lengths and therefore often come on too soon, even if they are working. So, as others have said, the tripmeter is definitely your friend.
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mine would come on after about half a tank of fuel, so pretty much useless, then the wires broke so I left it that way.
gunslinger

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. Thanks a lot for Your replys.

I expected somehow "if aint too broke, dont fix"

However I have fiddled a bit with the float before, to tryed to dry it up - and seal it for better boyancy. But with no luck.
Original part is of "unobtainium" price. Ebay, NIL parts. Paioli does not answer on any request for the float.

I say: if its broke, fix it yourself.

By the way: My tripmeter knob is gone, must have rattled off by itself.
Check yours for proper fit or YouŽll loose it too.
(another little thing to fix before summer)

SO I WILL BLOODY make one up for myself. And modify the installation a bit, so there will be no flickering when braking/accelerating.
- Have allready the float material in stock.

How about that ? -will later report with degree of luck and description of mod. Rolling Eyes Confused
2bims

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best of luck...hope you sort it...then let us know how...or start making kits to sell to all of us so we can fix ours... Laughing
gunslinger

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2bims - Ill send You a kit for free, and you will be the first to test and evaluate ?

But be patient.

First ill have to make the prototype. -and test it a bit ... Wink
davidt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:59 am    Post subject: "Fuel Low" Float Switch SB^ Reply with quote

Found this on Ebay

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/400885134059?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Looks like its the same unit as on my SB6.
2bims

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks exactly the same as the one fitted to the plastic tanks on DB2's...and its made by Paioli...who also do fuel pumps fitted to the DB4 etc etc...so sort of makes sense...Picture and description has no sizes or distance between the 2 bolts/holes....so would be a brave man to buy and try out...although you could "loosen" up the holes to give some adjustment on the fitting

Seller has 10 available..and is located in Germany....Good spot DavidT...with your first post....where are? what you got? Nice to see a Newbie on here...and being helpful with his very first post...welcome to the Forum...great spirit...... Very Happy
davidt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2bims, I am in Sydney Australia and recently acquired an SB6 in shabby condition. Its actually serial number 001 and came from the USA.

I have spent some time sorting out the paintwork, replacing vital fluids with fresh stuff - you should have seen the state of the fork and hydraulic fluids and the engine oil - replaced very old brake hoses, brake pads and tires.

Was also bugged with the stupid low fuel light and shopped around for a replacement sender. I am thinking of making a 6mm thick alloy spacer to sit between the sender unit and the tank so the unit sits lower in the tank and hopefully does not switch the light on until the fuel has dropped closer to empty.

Either that or just disconnect the unit although I dont like the idea of warning lights on a bike that dont work
2bims

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on joining Bimota ownership....Are you taking your bike or going to the Barry Sheen Festival of speed at the end of March, in Sydney? 20 or so other Bimotas are going down there...

http://www.bimotaforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=4883&start=0

I know what you mean about idiot lights on the dash...if you have them...its nice if they work....

Can you post a picture of your bike? What wheels does it have? Silver Antera? White or Black oscom with Bimota stamped on the spokes?

I hope you didn't pay over the odds to have No. 001 from the States...and I think I know who you bought it from, as he had several different models for sale...all 001....In America, with different emission laws, requirements for fuel canisters to trap evaporating fuel etc etc...Bimota allowed the bikes to be plated up "in house" in America...and for each model (SB, DB etc)..there was a 001 bike stamped up for each year...so there are several 001 stamped Bimotas of each model in the USA...if bike imported/made for 3 years, like the SB6...then theres 3 no 001's.....Whereas in Europe there would only be one No. 001 for all of Europe...and for all the time period that model was made....What does it say on the headstock of the frame? As opposed to a plate that's riveted to the frame?

You can notify Manuel Nunez of the Bimota swiss register here...and you would be the First 001 to be included on that register at least

http://www.bimota.ch/register/register_bimota_sb_en.html

Last edited by 2bims on Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bud977

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the plug 2bims Smile David, if you're interested in the Bimota display at the Barry Sheene, you can find more details here: http://www.bimotaforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=4883
It'll be a great chance to swap all the Bimota secrets. There'll be another SB6 there to compare notes as well. Send me an email if you want to be added to the emailing list.

Cheers,
Lech
davidt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks 2bims for the information on the US Bimotas.

I dont think I paid too much for the bike but would rather not know if I did Smile
It was less than half the price of the SB6 bikes for sale here in Oz at the time I bought it

It has the black oscom wheels with Bimota stamped on the spokes

I will get the details off the headstock and post them along with pics of the bike.

Lech, I am away for work whn the FoS is on next month so thanks for teh invitation but unfortunately unable to be there
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> SB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: