Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Aprilia RSVR thoughts...
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tirefriar

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been spending quite some time researching Aprilia. The folks on their forum gave excellent input and helped me determine my bearings... It appears that RSV Mille R is the one to get in terms durability and value. I was quite surprised how robust the Aprlias really are. Really hinges on the sale of the SB8R. I know that my wife will not be happy with this plan, but I will offer her the Alazzurra as the sacrificial lamb...
2004 BMW R11S BCR
2010 Ducati Streetfighter 1098 S
djk

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Evilchicken0"]Bikes are things - none of them have a soul, neither are they sexed so calling them she is a bit, well sexist.[/quote]

Here comes the fun police. The post is about RSVs, when does sexism come into this topic? Why even mention it? If you dont agree with the soul comment that is fine that is your opinion but nowhere in your comment do i see anything relating to a RSV which is the whole point of this post.
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

djk wrote:
Evilchicken0 wrote:
Bikes are things - none of them have a soul, neither are they sexed so calling them she is a bit, well sexist.

Here comes the fun police. The post is about RSVs, when does sexism come into this topic? Why even mention it? If you dont agree with the soul comment that is fine that is your opinion but nowhere in your comment do i see anything relating to a RSV which is the whole point of this post.

RSVR's actually Rolling Eyes
Tirefriar

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud977 wrote:
I just did a few days riding around Tasmania on a RC51 SP1 Honda. If you want a daily rider, this is not the bike you want. It is uncomfortable, overgeared, peaky. Riding in a town meant staying in first gear. It needs 4-5000 RPM to get going.

This particular bike handled like rubbish as well. Very vague in the corners. I don't know if this a trait of all of them. This was the worst bike I have ridden in a long time. After a short time, I envied my brother who was riding a Honda 700 Transalp, that's how bad it was.

The SP1 is probably at home on the racetrack but regular street riding is not it's forte.

Spoke to a friend who had an RC51, he is splitting his riding time between an FZ09 and an HD bagger. Sure as hell misses his RC51, but did confirm that in its stock form it was really unrideable around town. He had his regeared and installed a PC for daily street use.
2004 BMW R11S BCR
Tirefriar

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am still mulling over the RSV while trying to find a buyer for the SB8R. Came across a guy who happens to own a Tuono but also had an RSV. According to him Tuono is a better bike than RSV but except for a seating position and fairing vs. naked look, these bikes are virtually identical. I am just worried that if I do go for a Tuono which is the cheaper model of the two, I will end up regretting not getting an RSV...
2004 BMW R11S BCR
2bims

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen a lot of the Tuono 'prillias at the TT especially the Factory R version from say 2003....Rare beasts...but at the TT...they were everywhere....and what they all had in common was Foreign number plates, bikes ridden from Germany, Italy, Holland, France etc...none with british bikes...which kind of says that not only must they be perceived as reliable by their owners, but also comfy as well for doing miles and touring.......As bike below

http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/aprilia/aprilia_tuono_factory%2006.htm

Whilst the "review" above seems to be written by the factory...you can see that this bike shares the same sort of top end components as employed by Bimota, OHlins front and rear suspension, magnesium, engine parts, oz racing wheels, loads of carbon, and of course top end brembo calipers, discs and masters...Whats not to like? Maybe an Aprilia Forum would not only help in research but also in your search for one??..I nearly bought a Mille part way through Bimota ownership....
pkay

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great bike much more company than a duke. Battery drain from the onboard system is a pain so make sure you wire in a comfort lead. Does feel quite tall but that may also be cause I'm 6ft 4in. I love mine and is a great and practical sports bike
glened

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had an SP1 absolutely loved it, biggest regret was selling after purchase of 2007 Blade, fantastic bike but not engaging enough to keep my interest. The SP1 had a custom paint job in Ducati yellow. The bike was a bitch to get on with in standard form. However after power commander, ohlins rear shock, maxton front forks, k&n cleaner and air box mod, ohlins steering damper, Blue flame cans, speedo healerI. I know that is a lot to add to a standard bike, but please believe me it was money well spent. did over 25000 on it. I have ridden Aprilias never owned one but was not a great fan of the 60 degree engine, did not feel as punchy as the 90 degree in the SP1. Also don't forget the heritage of the RC 51 Honda did not scrimp on it's design, ceramic bores, gear driven cams etc etc. I personally would not consider anything else of a compatible era.This is Just my opinion though, I think I had better start looking to see if I can get another one...
wallaman

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had three Bimota's so far - a KB3, DB4 and a DB2. Still have the DB2 but haven't ridden it in a while (still my favorite Bimota!). Also had an RSVR Mille ('04) and an '03 Tuono Factory, an MV Brutale 750 and a 910R amongst others. Held an AMA Pro Roadracing license in my younger years. Other than the DB2, the only one of the above that I still have is the Tuono (bought in '05), and it is the only one of the above that I ride regularly. It is the single most fun motorcycle I have ever owned!!! Can't say that enough.

Over the years, mine's morphed with a big bore kit and some suspension and wheel mods, but the core hooligan sport bike is still there. On real roads, it will keep up with all the clipon sportbike boys, and after a 400 mile day, I can still stand and walk (somewhat of a feat as I get a bit older). For short (less than a week) tours, it is my go to ride. Toss on a tank and tail bag, and good to go. Did a 1500 mile four day trip last fall on it and had a blast. The Rotax V twin engine is nearly indestructible with only minor maintenance (if you follow the Aprilia forums, it's not uncommon to hear from folks with 75,000 miles on them with no major issues!). Best of all if you're looking to buy, they are stupid cheap.

Definitely not the prettiest bike I've ever owned, but one of the best and definitely the most fun!
Hope that helps.
Chuck S.
Tirefriar

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuck, it certainly helps. Initially I had my sights set on the Gen1 RSV Mille. However, after doing more forum surfing and with owners chiming in I'm now giving some serious consideration to Tuono Factory. Just like Chris said here, people either hang onto their Tuonos or regret selling them. I think 2004, the last year of Gen1 Tuono, is the one to have in Factory trim.

As I mentioned before, it boils down to finding a new home for the SB8R. Once that is accomplished I will double down on my Aprilia search. Until the I can only peruse the ads and do more info gathering.
2004 BMW R11S BCR
yb11reno

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was bidding on a tuono at the auction in January, got out when it went over $6k. Maybe I should've gone on. It was a good looking bike, riding position was like a lot of the naked bike position, super bike underneath (duc monster, yam fz, etc)

I have a duc ST4S, kind of an overlooked all arounder with superbike bones (996 motor). I found it on Craigslist in LA last summer for $5,500. It's a 2003 had 1700 miles on it.

Point is, it's fun shopping, there are some real gems out there, maybe don't get too focused on a particular model, you never know what jumps out at you that you didn't think about.

https://www.mecum.com/lots/LV0117-263587/2003-aprilia-tuono-r/
Tirefriar

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack, I hear what you are saying about keeping options open. For me reliability is key, but aside from RC51 no Japanese bike really peaked any interested. I guess I am not a fan of the mainstream. I toyed with an idea of a Duc, but researching Aprilia I learned how reliable and low maintenance these bikes really are, well the first gen RSV and Tuonos anyway. Plus they are not as common as the Ducs and require less maintenance. The Rotax engine will last and last with proper care and the rest of the bike is built pretty well.

I initially settled on the RSV Mille, but Tuono makes more sense to me if I am keeping my YB10. I checked the link you've attached. Nice Tuono and certainly the model to get (Factory R) but for that kind of scratch I would prefer to buy it from the original owner. There was a glitch with the odometer on these bikes. When the battery would go stone dead, the mileage had a tendency to reset to zero. Didn't do it in the km though. I thought about that when reading the description of the auctioned bike: mileage BELIEVED to be 4500.

Low price is another attribute of Aprilia. A clean RSV Mille or the last of the Gen 1 Tuono can be had for under $5k in great shape. At present I think that once I get the bike situation sorted it will remain that way for a while, unless I will decide to sell another one off. I just don't see buying any more bikes for a while.

Congrats on the ST4S, great sport touring. How is the maintenance? I wouldn't think its a killer but would suspect it to be above average
2004 BMW R11S BCR
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: