Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Battery for DB1 - Orientation?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PaulDB2

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:38 pm    Post subject: Battery for DB1 - Orientation? Reply with quote

Hoping some kind soul can help out here. Just about to order a battery for my DB1 and realised I am not sure which way round the battery terminals need to be. (The DB1 did not have a battery when I imported it - transit rules).
The battery type I believe is a YB14L, but is it an A2 or a B2?
Do the terminals on the battery sit towards the front of the bike or towards the rear when mounted in it's frame?
The positive terminals in my wiring harness seem to indicate the positive terminal on the battery should be on the left side (as sat on the bike).
Quadrasuarass

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will have a look for pics this evening from my resto project. Meanwhile heave you considered a Lithium Ion Battery. I have been recommended Motobat by a knowledgeable electrical engineer who is fully conversant with the foibles of Ducatis and there brethren. 1/2 the size and 1/3 the weight with a higher cold cranking capacity. I've also moded the battery box to suit this which opens up space under it to let more air in over the back cylinder head.
Quadrasuarass

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will have a look for pics this evening from my resto project. Meanwhile heave you considered a Lithium Ion Battery. I have been recommended Motobat by a knowledgeable electrical engineer who is fully conversant with the foibles of Ducatis and there brethren. 1/2 the size and 1/3 the weight with a higher cold cranking capacity. I've also moded the battery box to suit this which opens up space under it to let more air in over the back cylinder head.
PaulDB2

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Quadrasuarass, thanks for looking. Not really considered lithium ion battery, but I will look at them also, not as expensive as I thought previously. Don't really want to start hacking the battery box about, but getting more air around the motor is a plus.
Quadrasuarass

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First shot is original battery, positive terminals to the front, positive on the left when sitting on the bike as you noted.

Second shot is comparison with Ultrabat - 3 module (not Motobat as previously mentioned)

3rd Shot is normal Ultrabat Install

4th and 5th shots are my mock up of ultrabat install from the side and front. You can see the extra opening available below the battery to let air over the rear cylinder head

Battery box was lightly modified with a hole saw to get air over the LiPo battery and tin snips/vicegrips to create a landing for the smaller battery to sit on, then all off to the powder coater for a fresh coat of paint.

Cheers
Nigel
2bims

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely work....But just what are those valve covers made of???? They look like 1950's Bakerlite like my Grandads Old Roberts Radio???
PaulDB2

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Quadrasuarass, that helps a great deal.
Is that steering damper original, mine is circular in section?
Are the valve covers magnesium?
Quadrasuarass

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Valve covers are standard that have been pimped up a bit with some flash powder coating. I believe that the steering damper is standard.
Bike was really tatty when I got it; project name is DBling1 which gives you an idea of where this is heading.
Cheers
Nigel
2bims

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quadrasuarass wrote:
Valve covers are standard that have been pimped up a bit with some flash powder coating. I believe that the steering damper is standard.
Bike was really tatty when I got it; project name is DBling1 which gives you an idea of where this is heading.
Cheers
Nigel

Different damper body and clamp from that on my DB1....but heck...twud be whatever they could get hold of I imagine...as per the norm...
Quadrasuarass

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having said it was on the bike when I got it the damper also has a non standard bracket to hold it away from the frame and let it work properly so maybe mine is not original. No markings on it to say what it is but it works fine
2bims

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

None of the early db series. 1, 2 or 4 have markings on the dampers to say who made them...so maybe...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> DB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: