Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

db8 Italia - Questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mb_pfalz

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:22 pm    Post subject: db8 Italia - Questions Reply with quote

Need some help regarding the db8 Italia

The db8 is a / the "Wilbers" Italia model - 11 degree Diavel engine - all original ex factory, except the rear shock absorber

With the db6 I was the last years at the same Ducati gearhead, where I was already with the Ducati. Unfortunately in the meantime it is difficult to reach him and he has no more time, so I had to change the garage. Last week I gave the db6 there to inspection and as far as possible brought documents and information (couple pdf docs) along. Some db6 questions are still open.

In preparation for the inspection of the db8 Italia there are some questions which I could not answer so far.

I would be glad if I could get to the next questions (and probably coming) some information

Electronics and wiring harness
What kind of electronics is installed in the model and is it an original Ducati cable harness or a bimota self-creation ?

Software
Is the software with which the control unit can be accessed in the Internet by download available - or otherwise obtainable / related ?

Diavel engine
Is there any special features regarding the Ducati engine compared to the Diavel original which should be noted ?

Workshop
Have seen, that for other models (for example db6) by download a workshop-pdf, is something for the db8 also available ?

Setup
Has anyone experience with the setup of the front (fork) and the rear suspension (I know it is the wilbers version), for our country roads are the previous settings for my feeling much too tight.
Gavin944888

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mb pflaz

I also have the 11 degree engine in the db9 and it is totally Ducati standard....no modification to the internals only the air box and injection.

The wiring loom is Bimota made and custom to the Bimota.....
no modes or abs
The software is Athena ECU and no power commander is available

My gear head...mechanic ....has piggy backed a Power commander as Athena factory
have no records of what Bimota did to the Athena ECU

The forks ...I have fitted Matris internals and the difference is immense, bought them from SBK Mugello garage in Italy.
...they race the DB 7 and also the DB9.....these have the same suspension as yours...Google them...the owner is Cristian.
..speaks English and everything ...very straight to deal with.

I hope that this helps.......as for the PDF ....best to ask 2bims ...he is on the forum.
Regards
Gavin

Cagiva Elefant 888/955 & adventure sidecar
Cagiva Elefant 999r engined
Cagiva BIMOTA Motard Concept
BIMOTA DB9 (with DB11 rear-end)
BIMOTA DB7-11 VLX MULE (build coming to an end)
BIMOTA DB11 VLX Supercharger
2bims

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: db8 Italia - Questions Reply with quote

mb_pfalz wrote:
Need some help regarding the db8 Italia

The db8 is a / the "Wilbers" Italia model - some information

Electronics and wiring harness
What kind of electronics is installed in the model and is it an original Ducati cable harness or a bimota self-creation ?

Software
Is the software with which the control unit can be accessed in the Internet by download available - or otherwise obtainable / related ?

Diavel engine
Is there any special features regarding the Ducati engine compared to the Diavel original which should be noted ?

Workshop
Have seen, that for other models (for example db6) by download a workshop-pdf, is something for the db8 also available ?

Setup
Has anyone experience with the setup of the front (fork) and the rear suspension (I know it is the wilbers version), for our country roads are the previous settings for my feeling much too tight.

As per Gavin has said....The DB7 has workshop manuals free to download from Bimotas own website...Bimota.it...at the top there is a "downloads" section...and on "MOTO" at the tp they show you the Bikes "available" and you can click on DB8 and download the original sales brochure also under scheda Technica...(technical sheet)....Also as Gavin says...Bimota went to Athena ECU's away from the Walbro ECU's used on the previous model DB7....For which I have the programmes etc...but no use to you if you indeed have an Athena ECU...check behind the Right hand side panel/fairing...ECU May be there...as I'm only familiar with the DB7 and its Ducati 1098 engine.....

Again...with the DB7...you could plug into the connecter between the bank of cylinders and tweak the fuel injection system using Ducati machines/technical people....THIS IS NOT the ecu...that is a separate connecter again on RHS behind fairing up high....

You will find that most Bimotas, DB5-DB11 are set-up hard from new...so always back them all way off little by little until you are happy...or if still no good then its down to a suspension expert to set it up for your weight and riding style and roads to be used on....its money well spent to get the most from the bike....Not familiar with Wilbers suspension though...has to be better than the extreme Tech normal fitment...Front marzocchis also always set hard from the factory...again...seek expert advice and help

click on these

http://bimota.it/brochures/bimota-db8-technical.pdf

http://bimota.it/#section-584

The one above is "DB7"...but will help at least with stripping fairings, torque settings etc etc
mb_pfalz

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks so far

Yesterday I made the first round for this year with the 8, what can I say, horrible
More than a sneak drive and creep in the curves i did not manage, as far as I remember the worst round since very long, at the end i tought - sell - makes no sense

I hope that some changes bring an improvent, if not …
arsenic

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Change the rear suspension extrem tech by some ohlins and put some matris in the front fork, that will do the job incredibly well, night and day difference...
vort28

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mb_pfalz wrote:
thanks so far

Yesterday I made the first round for this year with the 8, what can I say, horrible
More than a sneak drive and creep in the curves i did not manage, as far as I remember the worst round since very long, at the end i tought - sell - makes no sense

I hope that some changes bring an improvent, if not …

My DB7 arrived set up VERY firm.

From memory I had to soften the rear off a huge amount think the static sag was about 5mm on delivery Shocked , the front was no as bad but took a fair amount of twiddling
It is still a firm ride but far removed from were it started , they can be made to handle well just take a bit of setup time.

I have also found that after the initial set up issues I thought it under steered in corners . Actually it turned out I was entering corners far quicker than on other bikes I have , so was having to work harder and put more input into the steering to achieve good results.
mb_pfalz

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i (respectively a mechanic who can do it right) try the chassis setup

but so far it is frightening how wide the fear strip on both sides of the rear tyre is
with the ducati i had as well a strip (no racing or race-track), but maybe 1 cm on both sides, on the db8 incredible, i was not aware that I was driving so badly
Gavin944888

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:20 pm    Post subject: mb pflaz Reply with quote

hello.............I had exactly the same issues...ended up wanting to lay the bike up and just look at it.
I went Matris front and rear.....then got a Ohlins after my Extreme-Tech wrong again under a deal from the factory
...they supplied a Ohlins from a DB8.

Absolutely fantastic...completely different bike.

Do not give up.

Cagiva Elefant 888/955 & adventure sidecar
Cagiva Elefant 999r engined
Cagiva BIMOTA Motard Concept
BIMOTA DB9 (with DB11 rear-end)
BIMOTA DB7-11 VLX MULE (build coming to an end)
BIMOTA DB11 VLX Supercharger
mb_pfalz

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: mb pflaz Reply with quote

Gavin944888 wrote:
....ended up wanting to lay the bike up and just look at it.

The thoughts I had already synonymous, just put in the garage and look at

Actually wanted to drive it here and there, but at the moment I'm annoyed, also about me, that i am not able to do the setup by myself

Had contacted Armin, maybe his knowledge helps
vort28

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Wilbers anything like Extreme tech , you need to soften rear off all the way and then work backwards.

My static sag was less than 5mm on rear when I got it , front was about 20mm , I am 6ft , 85kg . Had to wind the rear spring back a few turns to get 25mm sag , I was amazed what a difference it made.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> DB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: