Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Question regarding the V due

View previous topic :: View next topic  
daotoys1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:15 pm    Post subject: Question regarding the V due Reply with quote

Ive owned a few different BIMOTAs in my time but not a V Due

Question : I know the history on the model ... my concern is regarding the reliability and performance of the bike in its various manifestations ( be it carbonated or FI , street / track applications etc )

The V Due was to be the ultimate dream bike ( a street legal 500 GP bike ? )

To bad the bike was hampered with problems

Im inquiring because Ive always been drawn to the V Due because its a 2 stroker and a grand idea .... but can the actual work and perform as good as they were "promised " when they were in R&D ?

thanks for your replies

d.
vort28

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a vdue FI in 1997 , was one of the first in the UK put my money down at the bike show in 1996 as it was the ultimate bike to me also.
Prior to collection there were stories about performance/running issue etc, anyway, long and short of it was I took delivery and then returned it for my money back.
Over the next 15yrs vdue's would pop up now and again, stories of getting them running , hours in the garage, thousands on pounds and castrol R induced highs !!
Chance meeting with BimotaNige off this forum , and his stories of his vdue got me interested again. A trip to Nige's garage and his stories of reasonable reliability , 10k miles and no real issues and a smell of the hydro-carbons set the devil off once more. I had to have one !! Shocked

So back to the present .My Vdue EF10 has now got about 3k miles on it, only used in the sunshine but survived a long weekend at the IOM classic TT , with no issues.
Quite a few engine mods between original and EF , crank, pistons, cases , oil ways come to mind but think there are more.
Injections ,original position , modified to latest mechanical standard by Piero, run , but even Piero's admits the ECU memory is the issue, but I am sure in this day and age it can be fixed but time and money involved.
Alternative injection , injectors were the carbs would be - no experience with these but not a Bimota/Piero mod so personally would stay away. Probably also still to original spec engine.

Bikes to ride , well quite compact , not mega power but ONE HELL OF A LAUGH !!!!

When I bought my Vdue there was another on here that gave me a hard time !!! None other than Mr 2bims !!! I will not print what his words were but we furnish you with a little story.
Prior to delivery all I got was abuse , on the day of delivery said Mr 2bims happens to turn up at my house for inspection of new toy. A 10 minute run a few weeks later and YES , Mr 2bim's has placed an order for a vdue !!!

I think that says it all !!! If you have the funds and the availability you owe it to yourself to give a vdue a home .

They are not without the odd issue , electrics are not great, sprag clutch is crap , but they are not any more fragile than any other 2-stroke.
JRH

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He actually placed 2 orders with you for VDues!!!! Laughing

I'm with Vort, as bike tech moves on, there are much better bikes out there, but as far as stinkwheels go, it's by far the best, and now, after Piero's tinkering, fairly reliable. I, like you, love my Benelli's etc, but you will have way more fun, and stories to tell, from a VDue!
2bims

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If youre a 2-stroke nut...then they are the Optimum and only bike to have I would say...with 1997 running gear, wheels brakes, suspension etc...but its Bimota stuff...Decent forks even though RWU.....carbon bottoms...Ohlins rear...320mm brembo SS discs...brembo \gold series twin 4 pot calipers up front and brembo twin pot rear....quite a tall bike...wide seat for what would have had secondary emissions cans underneath...high foot pegs...but not uncomfortable....quite exhausting to ride...you have to be on it ALL the time....but then you wouldn't be buying one as a tourer...as a "remove brain, twists right hand" sunday blast theres no more smiles per mile you can receive....on the gas the acceleration os nothing short of phenomenal....a Duc mechanic reckoned on a rolling start it was quicker than a Pantyliner R Duc...quite some praise.....If you like 2-strokes, and Bimotas...don't mind fettling...and have sufficient wedge to buy one...you deserve a chance to tick the box...just make sure you buy the right one....and you cant be "crowd shy" either...they are so infamous....people jump out of the woodwork to see and marvel at a running Vdue being used on the road....Journies and stops are longer just to answer peoples questions....coz they will ask...stand stare and take photos and videos....
runesika

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pantyliner R , love it Very Happy
2bims

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

runesika wrote:
Pantyliner R , love it Very Happy

Darn Autocorrect.....evidently meant Panigale...teehee Laughing
vort28

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought it was Pantyless ?? Shocked
2bims

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Youre thinking of their new bike for ladies...the Ducati crotchless..... Laughing
JackJabba

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RWU forks surely not. So went in the garage and took a look and damn I was sure they were USD when I bought it.

Shows how observant I am. The Carbon obviously blurs the vision. LOL Rolling Eyes
2bims

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Dear Jack...and you have now made the fact Public Knowledge...albeit to the smallest Public crowd known in motorcycling....at least if the fork seals leak it doesn't pee fluid all over your brake discs.... Laughing And at least it got you to go and look at your bike...
JackJabba

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been working on it all weekend,putting the fairing back on and adjusting the wiring loom. Only to have a starting problem. This time it was the Quick release fuel coupling decided not to flow fuel. £7 part stops play.

It would need to be a Tesi front end for me to pay any real interest.
2bims

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well...the Original Vdue was a Tesi...front and rear and omega plates.with an upright V...hence why when they changed frames and suspension...the front cylinder ended up lying where it is....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> V Due All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: