Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

DB8 fuelling problems

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Desmo Mick

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:50 am    Post subject: DB8 fuelling problems Reply with quote

Hi fellow bimotistas.

My name is Mick I live in Sydney Australia.
I recently left Ducati ownership for the pinnacle of motorcycles
I previously owned a 1098 Streetfighter and a Diavel.
These were both replaced last year and I am the proud owner of a DB8 and a DB9S.

My problem at the moment surrounds fuelling for both of them. The DB8 runs too rich and the DB9 too lean.
The Db8 had when I purchased int had its catalytic converter removed and a Super Mugello link pipe installed.
The bike now runs very rich and I would like to have it dynoed. I need the software and a cable. I contacted Armin having reviewed previous post but he seems unable to help me.
If anyone could help me attain the necessary software and link cable it would be appreciated.

The DB9 sounds a little more complicated by the sounds the Athena type ecus are a little underdeveloped I have contact the factory so hopefully they can help me out. Any one with advice on that would be appreciated too.
shane 851

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mick,don't really know where you can buy the software and cable from,I imagine it would not be a cheap thing to purchase,but you could try D-Moto they are at Clyde in Sydney.The last time i walked in there they had 2 DB8's in there so i am assuming they have the software.They also have a dyno in there as well.I have not had work done by them but i have only heard good things from there work.Both Shaun and George that run it have been around for years working with race teams including Ducati race team
Shane
2bims

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi DesmoMick...firstly...welcome to the Forum...and more importantly...to Bimota Ownership...a couple of fine beasts....

DB8...presumably the 1198 motor...and presumably a Walbro ECU under the right side fairing below the tank on the side....There are 2 types of Walbro unit...but only one for the DB7/DB8...the other type serves the DB5, DB6 and Tesi 2 valve single cam motors....I have the software for both types of ECU...and a handy "make your own" cable guide...that really just needs a few parts from Tandy/RadioShack...and a Ducati Fuel sender connecter block that plugs into the ECU connector which has a blanking cap on it...again near the ECU.

Fueling....with without cat...with open or closed bikes...the DB7's and DB8's were notoriously badly set up for fueling straight from the factory...either set for Rimini weather or just badly set from new....There is a connecter inbetween the bank of 2 cylinders that allows the fueling to be played with...by a Ducati technician...which is unconnected to the ECU in that way...My DB7 had similar issues....one cylinder injection was lean...and one was over rich...meaning it wouldn't pass the MSVA test we have here for fuel emissions.....an hours tweaking by Technicians sorted it to help it pass...evidently an emission probe needed to be put into the end can to check levels...not sure which system you have on the bike...2 into one or straight 2 into 2 independent

Are your bikes both reading in Miles or Kilometer? or what you use down there under? That's an easy sort.....The koso clocks on both bikes also pop up a mechanics "red spanner" at around 1,000 miles or 1500kms meaning first oil change is due...that can be easily reset when you need to know...and it kicks in at regular servicing also....Both bikes need belts changing every 2 years..often a myth for Duc engines....and can be many years...15 even I've heard of ...and..Hmmm...experienced...BUT...not on these motors...they eat belts every 2 years and munch the motor totally if you don't change.....The early series of 1098 and 1198 motors had warranty recalls for "bad starter" motors....Ducatis fix was ...replace it....any issues in starting? Optimum battery charge a must....Do your headlights kick up the right way? They used old school headlight units that kick up right or left...and not a flat Euro beam...again an easy fix if needed....Stripping the fairing and putting back can be tiresome.....sorting the suspension also...but theres plenty on here that can help.

The ECU and programme can be sent on a CD-rom....too large and intricate to email....folder after sub-folder after sub-folder...Armin usually charges 70-100 Euros for this...and the cables he has ran out of.

Factory help?? By all meand try...we all try....and don't let me put you off...but in 7 years of Multi-bimota ownership...they've never once replied to my messages...be it in English, Italian or Swaheli.....

Both great bikes...love them, nurture them and treat them well...and they will love you back

The ECU has no connection with the clocks....the clocks service intervals are on pure mileage...interrogation of the ECU has limited use...but does give you the Run time of the motor...and error codes can be cancelled out...Hope this all makes sense and helps......

Last edited by 2bims on Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:59 am; edited 1 time in total
2bims

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh...forgot to add...Athena ECU's....Bimota never got around to writing the programmes/software for this ECU....Athena ECU's are used though by Benellis also...so maybe worth trying a Benelli Forum also>>>??...Walbro ECU software can only be read by Walbro programme...Duc machines wont touch it...or other investigative programmes/readers that I am aware of...You need Windows XP installed on a laptop to run the system...nothing newer...nothing older....Walbro ECUG is the one fitted to DB7/DB8...I can email you the 19 page manual if you wish...on a pdf.....6meg
Desmo Mick

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys

Yes Steve my DB8 is a 1198 motor.
The Super Mugello de cat is a two pipe all the way to the pipe. Any help you can give me. Any help you could give me with software and making a lead and guidance would be really appreciated.

Thanks heaps I'll you some pics of the bikes
Desmo Mick

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys

Yes Steve my DB8 is a 1198 motor.
The Super Mugello de cat is a two pipe all the way to the pipe. Any help you can give me. Any help you could give me with software and making a lead and guidance would be really appreciated.

Thanks heaps I'll send you some pics of the bikes
vort28

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mick.

I have a DB7 with a de-cat twin pipe set up. Yes it run's on the rich side but nothing that bad, does not effect performance in any way.

My DB5R on the other hand ran so week when I got it , it struggled to hold a constant cruising speed. After some basic carb balance , throttle linkage tweaking , it runs much better.

Most Bimota's are either not used much or if new have been sat in a create for a few years, a good service/check over never hurts .
DB1 860

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mick,
If all else fails you can ring Emma at Tuneboy, I know Wayne can get into the Ducati 1198 ecu, he does all our race bikes but I'm not sure about a DB8.
He has a dyno and is based at Hornsby

Tell them Gerald recommended them
tassie v2

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get in touch with FX Powersports (Bimota Australia) . The guys tuned mine with full Arrow 2 into1 and yielded 183 rwhp. Also set up reduced engine breaking.
Give me a call if you need any info 0409 642720
Marcus
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> DB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: