Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

SB6-R woes.............
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GeeKay

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:20 pm    Post subject: SB6-R woes............. Reply with quote

Took my newly-acquired SB6-R to a mates garage to fit a pair of new Pirelli Corsa's. First problem was how to support the bike so both wheels could be removed - we ended up removing the swing arm pivot caps and large securing bolts and using an Abba-type stand - what do you other guys use?

Next problem arose when I started to unscrew the rear wheel spindle. Happily swinging away oblivious to the fact that the spindle was actually seized in place (although turning quite freely, so obviously seized within a bearing race) and had forced the l/h wheel adjuster to bend outwards from the swing arm - ouch !
We then had to persuade the spindle to leave the wheel but there is very little actual spindle to hit. We didn't want to use a tapered shaft for fear of it splaying the spindle, so very carefully (and very forcibly) knocked it out using and identical diameter Suzuki spindle. Once out, we carefully straightened the l/h wheel adjuster bracket then set about making the (slightly) damaged Bimota spindle usable. This entailed making a "tap" out of the aforementioned Suzuki spindle and running it through the l/h adjuster bracket to ensure the threads were OK. Then we used a thread file on the Bimota spindle until it screwed freely into the adjuster bracket. Job done?
Nah - the l/h wheel spacer (the one that looks like a ball race) wouldn't part company with the inner sleeve in the cush drive. More grief. Eventually it was persuaded to do so and we knocked the double bearings out to replace with new - the originals are stamped "made in China" !
We have fitted new SKF's.
And what's with the front end? Remove single cap-head bolt from each side lower fork leg and lift clamps for q/d wheel removal (after first removing front mudguard). Logic then dictates that you clear the disc rotors from the calipers, rotate the fork legs so the calipers swing clear to allow the wheel and tyre to drop out. Not on an SB6-R. The tyre stops the wheel coming forwards enough to get the discs to clear the calipers, so the calipers have to be removed anyway. Typical bloody Bimota !
At least the front spindle pushed out Very Happy
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like another day in Bimota ownership, just imagine how dull your life would be if you owned an ordinary bike.

Yes to the abba stand that's how I do it and I also use an abba front stand that looks like a hockey stick and fits under the exhaust.
vort28

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use old style paddock stand at the back, know the one with cups for under swing arm , front I always use a head stock stand.

SB6 front, yeah , not much room , easiest just to remove calipers, even the lose calipaer is not that easy to get out between the disc and the wheels rim.

As EC says though, all part of the fun.
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And you might want to take the edges off the lower spindle clamps - then you can "loosen" the cap head bolts and swing them to the back so the clamp opens rather than having to remove the bolts completely.
GeeKay

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evilchicken0 wrote:
And you might want to take the edges off the lower spindle clamps - then you can "loosen" the cap head bolts and swing them to the back so the clamp opens rather than having to remove the bolts completely.

That sounds like a very good idea - cheers EC.
brian

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty much same comments here re clearance etc.

For stands I also use a rear stand with L brackets to locate under the swing arm and a steering head lifter at the front.
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
brian

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about the seized axel.

I once had a similar experience with the rear axel on my DB4. I had previously put a film of a molybdenum based grease on the axel when I put it together. Next time I tried to remove the rear wheel, to my surprise the axel would not budge. I had to flog it out almost all the way.

That was the only time I'd tried the molybdenum based grease and the last.
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
GeeKay

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this particular SB6-R has been prone to an excessive amount of power-washing. Both outer bearings (one in the cush drive, the other on the brake side) were u/s and the spindle plating was missing around where the l/h (cush drive outer) bearing would sit on the spindle. We think this is where the seizure occurred. Both bearings were sealed, but that stands for nothing against a power-washer. Just one of the reasons I never power-wash any of my bikes.
brian

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could very well be right there Gaz. I very rarely wash my bikes with a hose but never with a pressure cleaner for this reason.
GeeKay

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bodywork off............

just getting the seat unit off is a pain - even the footrest hangers have to be removed Evil or Very Mad

eventually got to the carbs...........

2 of the pilot jets were blocked with hard, white, residue - fuel tank lining?

carbs on and tested................

nice steady tickover, good transition off pilot circuit, A/F ratio tested and good to go Very Happy

also removed this whilst the box was off...........

so it doesn't have an electric pump as I first thought - that noise appears to come from the Bimota Electronic Information System Question

Was due to give it a road test later today but had an accident (not bike related) last night which resulted in a cracked rib and damaged left thigh muscle, so the test is on hold. Sad
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always interesting to see another bike ... Have you cut back or discarded the rubber over the generator so it doesn't overheat ???

Sorry to hear you have an owwie GWS
Jonny B Bad

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 5:07 pm    Post subject: SB6R Reply with quote

GeeKay, I generally get away with a light hand-bagging if I complain about the cooking - looks like you weren't so lucky! Or was your's a more serious crime - that wouldn't be her towel you've got the carbs resting on in the pictures?

The whirring on start-up is probably the clocks. White stuff in the carbs is indeed most likely a dissolving tank lining.

Chuckie, I don't buy this "over-heating" business with the generator coupler. I'm convinced they fail because of the jerk they get from the starter clutch, when they're started with a weak battery.
GeeKay

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EC -there wasn't any rubber covering the generator. Thanks for the get well wishes.

Last edited by GeeKay on Fri May 12, 2017 5:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
GeeKay

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnny - I drank her Sauvignon Blanc - lucky to be alive................ Very Happy
stockcar

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a little while since i had my seat unit off but cant recall unbolting the hangers, etc......
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> SB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: