Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Post a picture of your Bimota
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 35, 36, 37  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GeeKay

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My SB6-R on it's first ride out with me on board.............

such a pretty bike that quite a few people turned out to see it.........

the bike-mounted policeman asked me to pull over to the side of the road so people could take pictures of it...........

but their pictures were ruined when a large peloton of cyclists went sailing past.......

Bloody Tour de Yorkshire.................

Very Happy
brian

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inconsiderate cyclists!

Nice pics GeeKay. First impressions of the 6R?
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
GeeKay

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's got a fluffy bottom-end - the pilot jets need attention. Above 2500 rpm, it's a missile, powered by one of Suzuki's finest motors and guided by Bimota's excellent chassis and the fitment of quality suspension.

Very Happy
Tirefriar

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice example GeeKay! Congrats
2004 BMW R11S BCR
2010 Ducati Streetfighter 1098 S
Spongebob

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeeKay wrote:
it's got a fluffy bottom-end - the pilot jets need attention. Above 2500 rpm, it's a missile, powered by one of Suzuki's finest motors and guided by Bimota's excellent chassis and the fitment of quality suspension.

Very Happy

Exactly the same on mine. Here's the dyno chart from PDQ. You can see they have cleaned it right up and it's massively improved and a much nicer ride. Larry said most of the issue was lack of use and the general amount of crud, gunk and corrosion in the carbs. They need to be used or properly drained down.

Jonny B Bad

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 9:41 am    Post subject: SB6R Reply with quote

GeeKay, I would check one or two other things before you change the pilots: if you still have the fuel pump in the air box - it needs to be removed and binned. If it hasn't had the valve clearances done yet (every 7,500 miles) - that may well help. I'm on the original pilots and it's very crisp on the pick-up from idle.

Interesting what you say about the suspension - properly set up, I think the Paioli/ Ohlins combo makes for a comfortable ride, but a pair of Ohlins at the sharp end, can improve it - but not much point unless the heavy wheels are ditched. This is a bike which can be transformed from a GT to a pretty sharp tool, all the way up to the point where you start regretting that the motor, despite being the "jewel in the crown" is also a heavy old lump.

My advice is don't ever ride a heavily modified 6R or you'll be divorced within a year, as you embark on your own pursuit of perfection Laughing
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeeKay wrote:

Very Happy

Above 2500 rpm I think I see the problem !!! It only idles at 1600. Do what Jonny suggests and maybe clean the jets
GeeKay

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: SB6R Reply with quote

Jonny B Bad wrote:
GeeKay, I would check one or two other things before you change the pilots: if you still have the fuel pump in the air box - it needs to be removed and binned. If it hasn't had the valve clearances done yet (every 7,500 miles) - that may well help. I'm on the original pilots and it's very crisp on the pick-up from idle.

I do intend to keep the original jets - just think they need cleaning out as the bike has been stood for some time - much the same as Spongebob's. The fuel pump will be removed at the same time as the carbs are cleaned. Interestingly, the tick over was set at 3000rpm................

My advice is don't ever ride a heavily modified 6R or you'll be divorced within a year, as you embark on your own pursuit of perfection Laughing

no danger of that happening - the last 3 Bimota's took care of that !

Jonny B Bad

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 2:56 pm    Post subject: SB6R Reply with quote

For it to have been set at such a high idle suggests another problem I'm afraid. Ethanol in petrol attacks the plastic fuel tank, or its lining. As the fuel/plastic combination separates in the carbs, a white-ish deposit is left in the carbs. This deposit naturally blocks the smallest jets first - namely the pilots, preventing the thing from idling at the prescribed 1100 rpm. The solution is an ultrasonic clean of the carbs and a re-line of the tank. If you just clean the carbs, the problem will be back again in short order, necessitating another ultrasonic clean of the carbs. You will be able to see if you have this problem when you pull the carbs, as you will see the throat of the carb, downstream of the butterfly, streaked with the white-ish deposit.

I have seen this problem explained away by sellers of bikes as being the result of the 6R being like a race bike that only runs properly once it is opened up. Complete tripe of course, because the motor is from a road bike!
stockcar

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

STD 6R carburates perfect and is so torquey & crisp off cam
Jonny B Bad

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 9:24 am    Post subject: 6R Reply with quote

Whilst I do spend a lot of time with mine and sometimes late at night, I don't think I've given it an STD yet Laughing
GeeKay

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

done a forum search regarding SB6R fuel pumps, but that turned up 900+ posts, mainly about SB8R's?

So - educate me please - whats the problem with the fuel pump, why did Bimota fit one in the first place and is it just a case of pump out / new feed pipes in?

Ta.
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I "think" they were trying to adress the fuel tap on the 6 being a vacuum one, you have to turn the engine over to get fuel into the carbs ... fine if us used often but ither wise it needs a bit of turning over before it catches.
And the 6 can fuel starve if the fuel pipes feed the carbs from the top.
Jonny B Bad

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 2:59 pm    Post subject: SB6R Reply with quote

I've read that Bimota put a pump in to address starvation issues at full chat. However, it is a vacuum operated pump, so it is operating from idle, where it can give rise to over-fuelling. With the fuel tank higher than the carb float bowls, there was no reason it shouldn't run on gravity, which it does and I've never been conscious of starvation further up the rev range having removed it. I removed the vacuum hose from the manifold and blanked off the spigot and the hole in the air box. I then re-plumbed with a "1 in - 2 out" Pingel fuel filter replacing the original fuel filter and "Y" piece. To be fair, I replaced the heavy exhaust and increased the size of the main jets accordingly, which may have addressed starvation further up the range which I might otherwise have experienced, absent the fuel pump.

In the opinion of some, the 6R suffers from too small an air box. Whilst it doesn't seem to struggle feeding a big bore motor, if true, it could only be helped by taking the fuel pump out.
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the 6 that has the small airbox, the R has the extra below the fuel tank
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> Bimota Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 35, 36, 37  Next
Page 31 of 37

Jump to: