Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Ducati clutch plates for v due .

View previous topic :: View next topic  
runesika

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 2:13 pm    Post subject: Ducati clutch plates for v due . Reply with quote

What is the best clutch friction plates for the V Due ?
There are so many options, 916 , 996 , 999 , SP , SPS etc , OEM or after market .
I want to order a clutch that I know will fit the Bimota , are heavier springs an improvement ? any advice would be gratefully received. Thank you in advance. Runesika .
vort28

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, sure I looked into this once before but couldn't find a Ducati match so bought from Piero.
Will try to have a look at old info to find out.
2bims

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is something that's bugged me for a while also...........So....with a spare pack Of Genuine Bimota Vdue Clutch plates from Piero...friction and spacers...and a spare Ducati 1098 Clutch Basket and hub...I tried...and yup...The "elusive" Vdue clutch plates fit a treat on the hub from a ducati...and the basket from a Ducati 900ss and 1098...I tried both.So I would say yup...Use Ducati and see....Ducati 900ss...748, 916,998,999, 996, 1000, 1098 and 1198...all use same clutch plates so no difference.

BUT....do not try to use a Ducati splined Hub...or Ducati Basket...or Ducati pressure plate (or other aftermarket pressure plate)...

Ducati Hub and basket have 6 holes for bolt fixings...Vdue basket LOOKS the same...outer, retaining ring...Tab gaps etc...BUT...it does not have holes for bolts fixings on the back plate of the basket...it has splines to fit over a splined shaft...with a locking ring over that. Also Note that the Standard Vdue Clutch Basket is not as deep as a Ducati one....so be prepared to have a few spare friction and spacer plates left over....I like using Barnett Billet Clutch packs....Be sure to remove existing one by one and stack as removed....paying attention to any marks on the plates, V or otherwise for alignment against any marks on ONE of the spring posts......intended to ensure for balance or somesuch...then you can replicate the same build up with a DUcati pack....frequency, spacers, number of plates etc....Since the number of plates is LESS...I'd stick with the same clutch springs youre removing...If it aint broke...DONT fix it......

So I'd say buy a spare basket while you can...as they do appear to be unique to the Vdue...but the plates seem a perfect copy of Ducati...and as its a dry clutch remote from gearbox oil...its not like there would be special friction material on the plates...
vort28

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess the only other thing is the stack height .
As 2bims says the clutch unit is not completely the same , so maybe a bit of playing around to get the right plate height .
Not sure if Duc's have different clutch heights for friction plates across their range.
runesika

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic info guys , thank you .
My V Due already has a Ducati clutch plates in it but it's now slipping badly, from memory I thought I had used a 916 996 SPS sintered one but not 100% on that . I did not know that the 1098 used the same plates as they are more expensive on eBay ( maybe just down to more plates ? ) .

Should I buy the steels as well as the friction plates or just the friction and would you go for standard or SPS sintered ?
Once again thank you , this is what forums are all about Very Happy
2bims

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All down to choice and price Runieska.......Ebay prices are all over the place....older bikes have lower prices...but plates are the same...1991 Ducati 900ss through to Ducati 1098 and 1198....dry clutch models...all share the same clutch and packs.

I toasted my first pack after 1,000miles...and the 2nd pack after just 500 miles...but that was riding round the Isle of Man TT...and a lot of traffic and stop starting...not helped by the ferry returning on low tide...and there being a 45 degree uphill exit ramp to get from the boat onto dry land...I had to clear a path of bikers and launch it upwards...if I had to stop before hitting the top and flat ground...theres no way I'd have got it going again....

I'd just go for price over performance...as they will all toast themselves.....I now run without a clutch cover to try and help worn material exit the pack rather than being recycled and clogging up......Barnett clutch packs are billet....with intermediate billet plates also that should be less injurious to your clutch Basket and hub...as those parts are Vdue specific.....I'd rather wear out plates I can easily replace than a basket or hub that I cant....
runesika

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2bims wrote:
All down to choice and price Runieska.......Ebay prices are all over the place....older bikes have lower prices...but plates are the same...1991 Ducati 900ss through to Ducati 1098 and 1198....dry clutch models...all share the same clutch and packs.

I toasted my first pack after 1,000miles...and the 2nd pack after just 500 miles...but that was riding round the Isle of Man TT...and a lot of traffic and stop starting...not helped by the ferry returning on low tide...and there being a 45 degree uphill exit ramp to get from the boat onto dry land...I had to clear a path of bikers and launch it upwards...if I had to stop before hitting the top and flat ground...theres no way I'd have got it going again....

I'd just go for price over performance...as they will all toast themselves.....I now run without a clutch cover to try and help worn material exit the pack rather than being recycled and clogging up......Barnett clutch packs are billet....with intermediate billet plates also that should be less injurious to your clutch Basket and hub...as those parts are Vdue specific.....I'd rather wear out plates I can easily replace than a basket or hub that I cant....

Sounds like very good advice, thank you. I may try and get an open carbon clutch cover as your theory on keeping the worn clutch debris out of harms way makes sense.
As you say they will fry themselves at regular intervals so I'll go for cheap and cheerful.
A 45* ramp on a V DUE ! The stuff of nightmares 😱
2bims

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can just leave the cover off....saves weight also....a company in America makes Carbon vented ones for Vdues.

45 degree ramp yeh....I was cursing that I hadn't checked the tide tables for the return ferry....was a ramp only one bike wide...with rails either side....I was sweating buckets at the prospect and had to get the ferry men to stop all other traffic and ensure the ramp was fully clear....with an exit space at the top in case I over gunned it.......Only a vdue owner knows what they are like if you stall it.....they wont start in gear....don't like being stalled and the ECU thinks about it for some time....has to be in neutral...with the green light on...then reset the clocks/ignition....press button and wait a few seconds....They like to "think" about things when you hit the starter button also....it maybe in NEutral...but without the green light....they wont start without both...or it maybe in gear but with the green light...they wont start with that either...Ramp wasn't wide enough to be able to get off and push if I stalled it.....Grrghhhh....ferry men too lazy to lower down the proper ramp for cars....
runesika

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="2bims"]You can just leave the cover off....saves weight also....a company in America makes Carbon vented ones for Vdues.

45 degree ramp yeh....I was cursing that I hadn't checked the tide tables for the return ferry....was a ramp only one bike wide...with rails either side....I was sweating buckets at the prospect and had to get the ferry men to stop all other traffic and ensure the ramp was fully clear....with an exit space at the top in case I over gunned it.......Only a vdue owner knows what they are like if you stall it.....they wont start in gear....don't like being stalled and the ECU thinks about it for some time....has to be in neutral...with the green light on...then reset the clocks/ignition....press button and wait a few seconds....They like to "think" about things when you hit the starter button also....it maybe in NEutral...but without the green light....they wont start without both...or it maybe in gear but with the green light...they wont start with that either...Ramp wasn't wide enough to be able to get off and push if I
stalled it.....Grrghhhh....ferry men too lazy to lower down the proper ramp for cars....[/quote
Spot on , but not forgetting the added pressure that every biker is looking at you and the V Due as it's probably the first one they have seen .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> V Due All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: