Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Bleeding Dieci cooling system

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:33 am    Post subject: Bleeding Dieci cooling system Reply with quote

Hiya

My Dieci is running hot. Not using water and not blowing it out, but the temp gauge gets almost to the red pretty quickly. Fan is cutting in.

Looking at the system, the pipe from the thermostat housing to the cylinder head seems to be higher than the top of the radiator. And I can't see a bleed bolt anywhere on it. Possible I am missing one somewhere.

My guess at the moment is that I have an air lock somewhere in this area?

Any suggestions?

All the best

Katy
brian

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tip the bike upside down? Sorry, I'm not much help Laughing

In all seriousness though, if there was a way to lay the bike over to bleed the air out of the thermostat housing, it might work. Or, is it possible to unbolt the thermostat housing and left it higher than the tube and bleed through the thermostat housing maybe?
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
who

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the thermostat opening?
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya

Stat is opening.

Hoiking the front of the bike up in the air is the only thing I can think of so far!

Problem partly seems down to how they have used the Yamaha stat. There is a metal pipe on the cylinder head that the stat firmly attaches to, and this splits the water flow between the left and right. On the Bimota the stat is in front of the pipe, while as best I can tell on the original Yamaha setup the stat is behind the pipe. Hence the stat is turned upside down for this. There is a small hole (2~3mm) in the actual stat to allow a tiny amount to pass whether it is open or not. As standard this would be at the top, but by turning the housing it is now at the bottom, hence no air can flow out until the stat is open. I am toying with taking the stat out and drilling a matching hole at the top to allow a bit to pass there.

The original Yamaha housing seems to have a small pipe from the stat. I can't see this on mine, and it might be a market specific thing on the Yamaha item.

There is a stat (and the Yamaha pipe) on Ebay here:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/YAMAHA-FZR1000-FZR-1000-EXUP-3GM-1989-WATER-COOLANT-THERMOSTAT-HOUSING-ASSEMBLY-/262613501772?nma=true&si=4rrI%252B6XnrndUmL2bgnu7rgqB%252FCc%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

The left hand piccy shows it the way up it would be on the FZR1000, the right hand piccy shows it the way up it is on the Dieci.

All the best

Katy
pkay

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya
I can have a look on my FZR if it helps interms of layout and what Yamaha says is the procedure to burp the system. I have read in some of my manuals where to bleed the system they require you to lean the bike over as part of the filling procedure to get the air out so lifting the front of the bike may be a genuine solution (not helpful I know).
Cheers
PK
who

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Katy, the water pump on the FZR1000 has a bleed-drain hole. Perhaps while the engine is running-idling, let the 6mm drain go and feed demineralised water into the rad cap so water level is always full, this may dislodge any air pockets.

I think tilting the bike over while you are doing this so the filler cap is at the highest point is something worth trying. Whatever you do, don't use tap water. It might also pay to have a look inside the water pump. The impellers are steel and can rust away, and the oddest of things can be found in there blocking flow! Shocked

Also, off topic, replies to posts on here always go to my spam folder, no matter how many times I tell gmail it is not spam. Also, whenever I click on a link to a topic in gmail, google sends me a warning saying "the site is unsafe, are you sure that you want to proceed?"

Thought as Admin this may be of interest to you? Regards, Ralph.
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya

The pump seems OK (had it apart already). The stock Yamaha cooling system appears to have a couple of extra small pipes (one from the stat and one from the pipe on the head)

Leaning the bike over is probably a minimum!

Not sure on the messages going to the spam folder (I have the same issue). Need to look into it in a bit more detail

All the best

Katy
who

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Admin wrote:
Not sure on the messages going to the spam folder (I have the same issue). Need to look into it in a bit more detail

lol...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> YB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: