Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

DB5 number of teeth

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bimototo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:56 am    Post subject: DB5 number of teeth Reply with quote

Hi all,
Could you please help me, I need to know the stock number of teeth (both front a d rear sprocket) of the various model of db5.
And if someone have change the front sprocket, I need to know if a 16 teeth can fit.
Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The early Mille and DB5R versions had a 15 tooth sprocket up front and a 38 on the rear....according to the spare parts manuals...Theres not that much space around the front sprocket so maybe better and easier to go down on the rear if you want to change the gearing
bimototo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!
My problem is space. I have to pot some distance between chain and swingarm on my db4 with 1100ds engine.
I've seen that st4 can put 16teeth front sprocket. I think can fit but not 100% sure...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do you need more distance between the chain and swingarm? What size front and rear sprockets do you have on the bike now?

What 2Bims posted is correct re: the clearance. If you go too large, you will either have fitment issues or the chain, primarily during deceleration, will climb up the front sprocket a bit and could impact the engine case...which is VERY BAD!

In any case, you should invest in a stainless steel case saver insert from someone like Corse Dynamics seen in this link. I am adding these to the DB6 and 1198 as I have had a chain come off at speed before. Scary!!!

http://motowheels.com/i-8328068-corse-dynamics-ducati-stainless-steel-case-saver-chain-guard.html
quikduk

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, typical Ducati final drive gearing is 15/38 or 15/39 or at least that is what I have found over many years and models. A lot of people have gone to 15/41, which gives a bit more low-end grunt (and makes it easier to do 1st through 3rd gear power wheelies... Laughing )
2bims

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bimototo wrote:
Hi!
My problem is space. I have to pot some distance between chain and swingarm on my db4 with 1100ds engine.
I've seen that st4 can put 16teeth front sprocket. I think can fit but not 100% sure...

Ah...Okay.....I was forgetting its you that's fitting basically a DB5 1000cc engine into a DB4 frame and swinging arm....

First things first...which may well dictate your choice of front sprocket.....

CHAIN ALIGNMENT - DB2, DB3 and DB4 all used a special Bimota only offset front sprocket...bringing it out an extra 2.5mm to align with the rear sprocket...and using a special retaining clip also...basically the front sprocket is recessed on the front face by some 2.5mm with a recessed Top hat retaining cover and 2 bolts......Basically due to bespoke frames and off the shelf wheels and engines...Bimota aligned the wheels front and rear....then designed a front sprocket to achieve correct chain alignment with the rear sprocket....A standard Ducati front sprocket will fit...but it will eat alive your rear sprocket in no time at all. I think...but am unsure...that DB5 and DB6 use standard front sprockets.....Have you had to play with/adjust the spacers on the rear of the engine mounts to frame?....same sized alloy spacers one each side?......if kept the same with new engine then Bimota sprocket would be needed...only come in certain sizes...from Wieres in Germany......So...I would set up front and rear wheels to align...then check chain alignment and see if you need a special front sprocket first...as this will dictate your choice
bimototo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've also new wheels, I have to align everything from zero, I have also the possibility to work an old front sprocket for have a good spacer, then fix everything with stock ducati nut.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

15/41 is a very good combo for a stock or tuned 1100 engine for sporty driving or trackdays. 16/43 or 16/44 is similar if you need the clearance. 16 have been used on my engine when it visit Mugello with the long straight n combination with a short ratio gearbox. Note that it is a removable spacer behind the front sprocket that can be tailor made to suit the required position of the sprocket since you also have the nut.
bimototo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you confirm that 16 can fit with no issue at all?

Great!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leave it to Bimota to also have to make this simple part custom for some bikes. Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> DB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: