Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Questions for YB6 EXUP / YB8 owners
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
who

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of these, I can't post pictures atm, but here is a link to one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DUCATI-851-CDI-ECU-/281690639698
Andrew034

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks like the same unit that is fitted to the Furano. The main difference is the Ducat and others use an IAW043 and the Furano has an IAW041 (it is stamped on the end on one side).I think the difference is for the use of the unusual TPS sensor.

As always it's a case of a step forward and another back. I've tested all of the sensor and additionally I built one of those flashing light fault readers that work with the P7, P8 and 1.6. While the unit flashes rather confusingly, I have convinced myself that the ECU also considers all sensors to be working OK (if anybody wants to make their own I can probably create some type of instruction piece).

Unfortunately I really need to see inside the ECU in operation to set the TPS correctly and to do this I'm at a dead end. There is a little information on the P8 and maybe I can use some of that to create a interface for a laptop. However, at this stage I cannot even get a technical data to confirm if the diagnostic port is capable of any communucation.

Andrew...
who

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew034 wrote:
Unfortunately I really need to see inside the ECU in operation to set the TPS correctly and to do this I'm at a dead end. .

Why not open your own? I have been told the chip in my EI says Tuatara, but to be honest I have not looked yet.
who

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can go to an electronics store and buy an electric motor that runs up to 10K. Combine 2 pickups and you have something that would read to 20K.

There are those timing lights on ebay, that read to 40 degrees in four stroke mode but in two stroke it is obvious that it would be doubled. What is the problem?

Are you saying you don't have a functioning ecu?
Andrew034

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry maybe my earlier post wasn't clear.

When I said I wanted to see inside the ECU, I didn't mean physically (as in unscrew the lid and take a look), what I meant was electronically via an ECU monitoring application.

The bike does run and the ECU appears to be functioning as intended, however the fuelling is very rich. The Throttle Potentiometer (TPS) is my first point of interest to cure this (as it is the most common cause, very sensitive to running and the most common part to be out of specification), however as the TPS fitted to my Furano is different to the units fitted to Ducati, Moto Guzzi, Cosworth etc (i.e. standard Weber Marelli installations) I have no baseline on which I can use as an effective reset. NB the YB4 shares that same TPS part number as the Furano so if my bike has the OEM TPS then this problem is potentially common to all Bimotas fitted with an IAW041 ECU.

If I can interface with the ECU via software and get a reading of the throttle angle (according to the ECU), then I can measure the actual butterfly angle on the throttle body and use the data to dial in the TPS so both the ECU and the throttlebody are aligned.

For a standard Weber Marelli installation (i.e. everything except Bimota it seems), the baseline is 150mV on the TPS with the throttle butterflies fully closed (and this value really needs to be set within +/-2mV). On my Bimota, the minimum theoretical TPS value is approximately 500mV (which is the same as what bimotabob recorded in his posts).

Andrew...
who

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a spare set of TB's here off the YB6 Tuatara, can I cross check TPS voltages for you, if that helps?
Andrew034

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be very helpful if you can check the TPS voltage
who

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew, Sorry about the delay with this.

I need you, if you can tell me which terminal is which. I'll have to test my spare on the bench using a power supply. I've got 3 wires, one red, one green, one yellow.

I'm guessing red is 5 volts, green perhaps earth and yellow TPS voltage, but I need you to confirm this with certainty before I test... As you know logic doesn't always come into play with Bimota.

I need you to confirm we are looking at the same unit with the same coloured wires, as I don't want to fry my TPS. Cheers.
Jonny B Bad

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:29 pm    Post subject: YB8 Reply with quote

Bud977, I had a go at taking the exup off my YB8 and whilst it ran pretty well from 3k onwards, nothing I did would make up for the weak signal in the carbs (which the exup addresses) to persuade it to pull enough fuel out of the idle bypass ports to accelerate between idle & 3k. Could I ask, did you go to flat slides to get your 8 to get away? Or perhaps a flapper valve on the entrance to the air box? Or perhaps you race it & don’t care too much about what it’s doing below 3k?
Bud977

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My YB8 is a race bike so smooth running at 3000 rpm is not required.

It came fitted with FCR flatslides and a race pipe that has no EXUP but has these canisters at the headers that connect 1-2 and 3-4. It still took a bit of work to get them it to pull cleanly out of corners from 6K.

I haven't ridden the YB8 for a while as I've been racing my TZs. I really have to dig it out and take it for a spin again.

If you want hard, you should try setting up the carbs on my '97 SRAD GSXR 750 race bike. It has the race kit TMDR flat slides with twin main jets and Yoshi MJN spray needles. Now that is tricky, and no-one knows what to do. Luckily I found one guy who worked on the factory team bikes back in the day and he still had the records. Perfect now.
Jonny B Bad

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 2:46 pm    Post subject: YB8 Reply with quote

Thank-you for coming back on an old thread Bud. That makes sense with your YB8.

I’ve put TMR-MJNs on an SB6R and it goes like the clappers Very Happy
Bud977

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds awesome. I'd still love to get an SB6/R one of these days. It takes a fair bit of work to get the 'little' FZR engine up to power of even the standard GSXR motor.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> YB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: