Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Hi new to the forum..

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kevmcdo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:12 am    Post subject: Hi new to the forum.. Reply with quote

Hi all
New to Bimota ownership having just purchased a YB6 of 1989 vintage.

I shall be spending the weekend going over old posts to try and pick up some hints and tips for the up keep of the bike.

All advice greatly appreciated.

Kevin
who

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a YB6 exup 1989? This is a transition model, basically a YB8 exup... Actually I think they may be the same, apart than paint, though don't quote me?

Anyway, Welcome and have fun with your new family member!
Kevmcdo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is the exup model. Will post a few pics up later when I get back home.
Jonny B Bad

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:54 pm    Post subject: YB6 exup Reply with quote

Welcome. I assume the bike is in WSB-winning colours? The 6 has a slightly narrower front fairing than a YB8, but other than that, is the same. The thing that causes a lot of problems with these is that you have to plumb the fuel lines and crankcase breather hose and then lower the fuel tank in on top of them. If the run of the lines isn't right, they will be crushed by the fuel tank, with predictably depressing results. The chain adjuster pinch bolts can tear the thread out of the swing arm, but this is not difficult to helicoil. Getting the carbs dialled in can be tricky and is not remotely facilitated by a frame cross member which impedes access for mixture screws and balancing. Idle screw is best relocated, as it's next to impossible to re-attach to the frame, whilst trying to re-install the carbs. Getting the cam cover off for valve clearances, requires a lot of stuff to be stripped off. Plugs can just about be replaced without major dismantling. Seized bolts likely to be a problem, if it hasn't done the kind of mileage that would have called for regular dismantling. Very easy to destroy bolt heads - rattle gun can reduce casualties here. Original Yamaha brake master cylinder was very primitive and brake feel can be massively improved with a modern radial master.

But when it's running right, it's a very nice bike, with a lovely motor.
Kevmcdo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is the classic red white and gold colour scheme. The front brake master cylinder has already been replaced by the previous owner so no worries there I hope.

The rest of the bike is standard and very clean. Looks like it has been well cherished by the previous owner.

Just spent most of this afternoon searching for part number for the side stand bracket, finally managed to track one down and have been in contact with a few suppliers to see if they can source one, fingers crossed they can come back with one.

The joys of ownership and I have not even got the bike delivered yet!
Kevmcdo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:22 pm    Post subject: Quick pic of the new toy / money pit Reply with quote

[img][/img]
Jonny B Bad

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:01 pm    Post subject: YB6 Exup Reply with quote

I see you still have the anti-dive valve on the leg of the right fork. When I had my forks overhauled by Maxton, some decades ago, they took that off & chucked it in the bin. Other than that, for such an old fork, the M1Rs work pretty well.
stockcar

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks nice & clean
Bud977

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice clean looking bike. Is it coming from Japan?

btw the adjuster on the right hand leg is rebound adjustment.
brian

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum Kevin. Your bike looks fantastic mate
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
Kevmcdo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:19 am    Post subject: Some more pics Reply with quote

brian wrote:
Welcome to the forum Kevin. Your bike looks fantastic mate

[img][/img]
[img][/img]

It appears to be in very good condition for a near 30yr old bike, ticks over and runs perfectly with no hesitations at all.

Just need to wait on delivery then it will be getting used pretty much straight away. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> YB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: