Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Hello

View previous topic :: View next topic  
popkat

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:50 pm    Post subject: Hello Reply with quote

Hi, looking for a bit of help and guidance. I'm seriously thinking of buying a Bimota. I like the YB11 and SB6 models. I'm in this section as there isn't an SB6 I can see on the market that is one I'd want but there are 2 or 3 YB11's currently for sale that I like.

I can't find out a great deal of info about the model so I'd like to ask here for any issues I should expect under ownership and what fixes.
I've read about the forks cracking, I assume correctly torqueing the bolts will prevent this, I've been told about fork coating coming off although not sure if this is true. Fork seals is another worry, are there seals readily availably ? also I've read something about the exup servo, could someone explain this please. I guess the valve is serviced just like an a Yam Exup..
I've seen later ones have different clocks, are these reliable as read of some clock problems.
are there any other changes through it's life other than clocks.

Back to forks, if the seals go is there info on the correct oil and oil level, is there a manual that covers this stuff ?

I do really like the bike and won't be doing big miles on it but the last thing I want is a bike that ends up stuck off the road with annoying problems and parts that aren't available.

Hopefully I'll get some positive answers and I can go look at these bikes.

Many Thanks in advance Very Happy

brian

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plenty of YB owners on here that may be able to help. From memory there's lots of info in the YB section if you use the search function.

Like any Bimota I guess, most parts will be available.
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a ThunderAce engine, downpipes are Yamaha (I think) so the exup is as you say, just like the Yamaha one so check its adjusted correctly and it should be ok. at worst you'd need to replace the bushes.

Fork seals shouldn't be a problem
popkat

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies.

Could anyone tell me why there's differences in the fairings and clocks please.. I've seen some with separate belly pan and some with what looks like one piece fairing sides, some with the B sticker on the belly pan and some going across the joint, these can be on either type of fairing.. also I'm seeing pictures of 2 types of clocksets but listed as the same year bikes.
I could understand if they had an early model and an updated one but I can't find a pattern ?. what year did the YB11 first come out ?

Trying to get as much info as possible so I don't end up buying a bitsa or something that isn't what it says it is.

Thanks
who

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As has been said:
Thunderace engine, which has lighter crank, and lighter better profiled cams, and forged pistons. Ow01 pattern head, much better 38mm BDSR38 carbs,with TPS. Still a five speed, but with the amount of torque and the ratios, not a great problem in the real world.

Fame is new from the earlier YB's, no pesky beam behind the carbs, much stronger down the swingarm end, but headstock angle is fixed.

There were two models 1996, and I think the 25 th anniversary model in 2000. This probably is why there are slight differences in fairings. The 51mm forks do crack at the axle, seals you should be able to find.

Buy with the lowest kilometers you can afford, these engines once the have a few hard km's on them (40K-60K) are prone to receding inlet valves, and trouble with the second gear dogs. The gearbox issues can be rectified with a factory Pro shift kit and the factory pro clutch mod. It is missed shifts (false neutrals) and rider banging the gearbox back into second when this occurs that stuffs the box's. Do the mods and you won't have any problems. Cheers.
vort28

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Early bikes had analogue clocks , later ones electrical. There are issues with the electrical ones , seem fragile and apparently can not be fixed easily , not had experience myself as my yb11 in analogue.
Fairings, early bikes have split nose cone fairing , later ones are one piece nose cone. Screens are also different between top fairing types.
Some small details do alternate between models but don't get to wrapped up in this as with Bimota the specs changed slightly depending on what they had available/lying around.

YB11 is also a very strange seating position , I find SB6 better ergonomically .
who

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vort28 wrote:
Early bikes had analogue clocks , later ones electrical. There are issues with the electrical ones , seem fragile and apparently can not be fixed easily

The damaged YB11 I purchased must have been the later 2000 model.

Your right about the digital clocks being fragile, and not being able to be fixed easily, though I think these stood up pretty well Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> YB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: