Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Bimota DB6 seat cowl

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul777

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 8:06 pm    Post subject: Bimota DB6 seat cowl Reply with quote

I bought myself a carbon seat cowl from conquest carbon and it's a very well made thing, but I can't for the life of me work out how to fit it. It's got three threaded inserts where the rubber bumpstops go on the standard seat pad but no provision for a locking pin. Has anyone ever bought one of these or something similar and might be able to advise on fitment?
brian

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not familiar with it, but some photos might help?
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
vort28

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would like to see that one also, can't believe someone tooled up a Bimota seat cowl. Not going to sell many of those.
The Saint

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Paul. I ordered a carbon cowl a couple years ago from a company in Italy called Speedmania. The cowl was beautiful, but expensive, and it didn't come with a mounting bracket. Had to have one fabricated using the parts from an old Ducati monster seat. Good luck.
Paul777

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still waiting for an answer from the supplier but I suspect the answer will be the same as in your case. Anyway, I am too impatient so I made my own fixing kit from some aluminium plate and a 12mm bolt. I turned the head off the bolt, milled the slot into the shank and used the thread with a couple of nuts to set the reach. I had to drill a clearance hole in the underside pan, then cut out a 'gasket' from some 6mm thick sticky back black foam and slid into place. looks mint. When I can work out how to attach pictures I'll share. It was very expensive though.
brian

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a nice solution to the problem. Looking forward to the pics
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
vort28

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul777 wrote:
When I can work out how to attach pictures I'll share. It was very expensive though.

Pictures, need an online account , photobucket , flickr etc , load pic's to that then copy URL and paste into thread. Slightly different button between photobucket and flickr but very similar process.
nichosk

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have also bought the seat cowl from Conquest Carbon and identified the same issue. It would appear we made our purchases around the same time! I also contacted Steve at Conquest Carbon who is being very helpful and has in turn contacted his supplier who has agreed to rectify the problem as they agree that the Product as supplied simply doesn't fit. However the solution will involve Conquest sending the cowl and my existing pillion seat to the supplier in Czech Republic in order that they can make and fit the required mounting pin to the seat cowl. I went to meet Steve at his office on Friday to swap the small 'windscreen' I'd purchased for the DB6 ( they supplied one for the 1000cc model not the 1100cc model I have, with different instrument cluster) and he re-iterated how he wants to get this fixed ( he had previously offered full refund without question) but he understands that I can't ride the bike without the pillion seat. Therefore we've agreed that once the sun sets on the 'summer' and I put the bike away for a the winter, I will let him send my pillion seat to his supplier (I'm also trying to source another pillion seat as mine is broken anyway). When I get the revised seat cowl back I will update this entry with the results. I hope this post may be helpful to others considering a similar purchase.
nichosk

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am long overdue updating this item for which I apologise. Last winter came and went and during this time I let Steve at Conquest Carbon have my rear seat to send to his supplier, together with the supplied seat cowl to be modified. This work was completed and the rear seat together with the modified seat cowl was returned to me during the spring. The carbon seat cowl now has a machined steel locating pin fitted such that the seat cowl can now be fitted to the bike. If Steve receives any further orders for a DB6 Carbon Seat cowl this will now be supplied with the mounting pin so it can be fitted to the bike. Job done!
vort28

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you got any pictures of the cowl fitted ?
nichosk

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once I return from holiday I will take some pictures and using you instructions from earlier in this thread, try to upload some photos Very Happy

Here at long last some images (I hope) as this is my first attempt to load photos:

nichosk

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if photobucket images will persist so posting image via Flickr.
IMG_5107 by Steven Nicholson, on Flickr
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> DB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: