Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Tuatara compliance plate question.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
who

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:23 am    Post subject: Tuatara compliance plate question. Reply with quote

Anyone here own or have access to a Tuatara?

I'm wondering what the compliance plate designation is? The Furano's were designated YB8.EI, I'm wondering if the Tuatara was YB6 or YB6.EI?

I'd also be interested to hear how the YB4 EI was designated?

Cheers.
DaveT

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. I have a Tuatara here in UK.
Frame number is same as a YB6 (which ran in the range 001 to 614 according to the Sarti bible).... the Tuatara runs the same engine as the YB6 non-Exup, but with EFI. Other than that I'm not sure there is any distinction with respect to 'compliance plate'. Good luck. Dave
shane 851

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here with the YB4 no mention of EI on the frame number or the compliance plate (Australian compliance plate as well) Just YB4
Shane
who

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Shane, Dave, thanks for the info.

Aussie complied YB4EI How many made it over here?

My YB6EI's designation is also just YB6, and has the black engine, it's frame number is 69! Cool just in itself! 1 of four that went to japan. I have the one shown on the stand at the 1988 Tokyo motor show as well.

DaveT

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that's very interesting! I see the bike has the M1R conventional forks and not the USD ones on the Tuatara/Dieci/Bellaria....
My Tuatara is a conventional red one and is the one shown on the stand in the Sarti book...has a commemorative plate on the top yolk saying no 001...which may not mean much!
DaveT

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that's very interesting! I see the bike has the M1R conventional forks and not the USD ones on the Tuatara/Dieci/Bellaria....
My Tuatara is a conventional red one and is the one shown on the stand in the Sarti book...has a commemorative plate on the top yolk saying no 001...which may not mean much!
who

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveT wrote:

Has to mean something! Number 001 of anything is pretty cool!
DaveT

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again. I checked the plate on the headstock and my bike does identify itself as a YB6EI, frame number YB600537. There is a small round metal medallion on the top yolk stamped Registto Storico, then marked Tuatara 001. Possibly an Italian club thing? Would be interesting to know which were the frame numbers for the first and last Tuataras off the production line (if you can call it that!). Dave
who

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, I don't think Bimota necessarily had a definitive beginning and an end serial number for anything? Especially when it came to subspecies. Ad Hoc at best.

As far as I am aware all of the SB7 homologation specials had SB6-000xxx frame numbers, and not in any particular order. The 'registry' cites a SB7 (SB6) frame number range of 00182 - 00773 and there are only a few of the 200 total listed.

Have a look at this link (your bike is listed)... Apparently 738 YB6's made in total, yet frame numbers range on this registry to 1061 !

So who knows? If your bike has a plaque saying it is #1... well claim it!

http://www.bimota.ch/register/register_bimota_yb_en.html
2bims

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "plaque" thingie of Historic Register comes from "Fernando Felli"...and Italian Author and journalist and one of the 3 riders that went Island to Island on Vdues in 1997...Sicily to Isle of Man.....He set up a Historic Register and was selling the plaques up until even last year...can be found on Facebook...so if you wanted DB1 No 001 and asked first...and paid...then you got that one....so that glued on plaque is not strictly relevant to anything of Bimota originality
DaveT

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks 2Bims. Interesting thing is that the plaque is on 'my' bike in the photos of the Tuatara in the Sarti book, which I've assumed are the bike on a show stand at launch time, so the plaque goes back to 1990... Anyway, more of general interest to me as I don't think it matters in our sane (?) Bimota world whether your bike was first or last in production, unlike in the mad car world...Cheers, and thanks for useful info.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> YB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: