Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Bimota Spirit USA

View previous topic :: View next topic  
welshlamb

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:59 pm    Post subject: Bimota Spirit USA Reply with quote

http://www.bimotaspirit.com/for-sale

all these up for sale at what look like reasonable prices (if shite $/£ taken into account) Is Bob thinning out his museum as I don't recall this many for sale before.? Is this page current?
2bims

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theres a few older skool stuff on there from his collection that wasn't for sale a few weeks ago.....what is there is the new stuff heavily discounted...same as a few weeks ago...again...would be good prices in the UK were it not for the crash of the GBP.....Maybe its factory Bimota asking all stockists to sell stock and repay factory??? Amore Moto used to have a Tesi3D test mule...that has now appeared at BCP in Italy...and maybe a DB11 also??? Factory calling in all stock and/or cash for sold stock worldwide??

The BImota spirit website is newly updated as notified by their facebook page...so yeh..is up to date
2bims

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting little story about the DB1 design and History that I didn't know about on that website....although I had heard that Massimo ...even though working for Ducati at the time...also tipped into design of the DB1 styling wise...

Bimota DB1

The DB1 is now considered, by most sources, to be the most valuable Bimota produced in series production (not including one-offs, racing machines and HB1s.)  It was the first model developed by the Morri-Martini management team after Tamburini left Bimota (Pier Luigi Marconi and Roberto Ugolini did most of the work – the same duo that originated and developed the first Tesi.)

Bimota originally developed the DB1 for Ducati as an external engineering contract, at the request of Gianfranco Castiglioni, co-owner of Ducati.  Hence, this became the first Bimota with a Ducati engine.  Ducati paid Bimota 50% of the contract as a deposit, and Bimota designed the motorcycle though the prototype phase.  Prior to continuing through commercialization, Mr. Morri reviewed the prototype with both the Castiglioni brothers.  Claudio Castiglioni, Gianfranco’s brother, and Giuseppe Morri did not like each other, and because of this, Claudio cancelled the project!!!  The project was dead and Ducati owned the design.  Morri had a lot invested in the design, liked the design, and very much wanted to prove Claudio Castiglioni wrong!  Morri contacted Gianfranco and offered to return Ducati’s deposit if Bimota could then own the rights to their design, and Gianfranco agreed.  Bimota continued to develop and produce the DB1 and the rest is history, as the Bimota DB1 is one of most successful and beautiful Bimota’s ever produced.

As an interesting side note, when Claudio killed the DB1 as a Ducati, he still needed a new model, so he hurriedly hired Massimo Tamburini to design one for him.  The result is the Ducati Paso.  This is one of the few examples where a Tamburini design is less beautiful than its competitor – as most will agree that the Bimota DB1 is far more aesthetically pleasing than the Ducati Paso, and if current market values are any indication, a far more significant motorcycle as well.

"Our particular DB1 has had a very interesting past. It was purchased directly from the USA importer – Cosmopolitan Motors – in 1986.  In 1991 it was stolen!  It was recovered in short time but the bodywork had been damaged when it was thrown into the back of a truck during the theft.  The owner spent over TWO YEARS trying to buy a set of replacement bodywork – having troubles with multiple dealers, the new USA importer and the factory in Italy – but eventually succeeded.  While waiting for the bodywork, he had my former partner, Eric Phillippe, install a Haltech fuel-injection system onto the bike – a similar system to the one that Eric was running on his racing Ducati F1 at the time.  By the time the bodywork arrived, the owner had parked the DB1 and moved on to another bike, so the DB1 sat for 23 years!  In 2016, the owner contacted my current partner, Johann Keyser (Moto Motivo) after seeing some of the work that we are doing on Bimotas and offered to sell him the bike.  We bought it and Johann did a full service on the bike, changed it back to the original carburetors and installed the brand new bodywork that was still in its original bubble pack wrapping from the factory.  The result is one of the nicest examples of an original, un-restored Bimota DB1 in existence."
Ray916MN

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally updated from this Spring when it was woefully out of date.

I bought a V Due from him late last year and at the time he offered me the DB1 and Tesis.
Ray916MN

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally updated from this Spring when it was woefully out of date and had allot more older bikes for sale.

I bought a V Due from him late last year and at the time he offered me the DB1 and Tesis.
Tirefriar

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob procures some of his inventory from Europe. My YB10 was one of those brought over from italy. It still has kph speedo. In the heat of the moment I forget it's 1.6 kph to 1 mph... Often realize when the traffic is way behind me and its 180 on the clock.

His bikes maybe pricey, but you get what you pay for. If you are serious about quality, Bob is your man
2004 BMW R11S BCR
2010 Ducati Streetfighter 1098 S
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> Bikes For Sale All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: