Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

SB4 on the Dyno
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ed Light

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:10 pm    Post subject: SB4 on the Dyno Reply with quote

in an effort to get the SB4 running a bit better, she is now strapped to the Dyno for some fueling runs, hope the picture works as it's my first go with IMGUR.
https://imgur.com/d18JGaC
Ed Light

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm maybe this works better
Ed Light

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have put this in the SB section, but that seems only for SB6 and 8, dreadfully common Very Happy

anyone had their on the dyno? I wasn't expecting too much as she is not running correctly , OK up to about 4,500 or 5,000, not happy to 6,500 then it'll rev on but seems a bit hollow and limp. I'm thinking lean, it's on KN pods and its an 1150 efe engine. quite surprised on the first run, 83 HP at the wheel at 8,500, accounting for 5 or 10 HP lost drive train, not all that far off. but we got Pre ignition bad once it gets hot. Dyno Jet kit being fitted in effort to fatten things up because there is a bad flat spot 5,000 to 6,000. We shall see.
who

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:49 am    Post subject: Re: SB4 on the Dyno Reply with quote

Ed Light wrote:
in an effort to get the SB4 running a bit better, she is now strapped to the Dyno for some fueling runs, hope the picture works as it's my first go with IMGUR.
https://imgur.com/d18JGaC

If you are using Imgur, it pays to resize your images, prior to uploading. I use Windows resizer (google it), it's a windows addon-app that presents in your right click menu, asking if you want to resize? Choose either medium or large, and you will end up with viewable results. Once resized upload to Imgur. Not sure about Mac.
Ed Light

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

playing with image sizes, opportunity to post random picture of naked SB4, because it looks so nice Very Happy
Ed Light

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

or as a thumbnail
Ed Light

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so some good results from Dyno time at Somerton motorcycle engineering, very helpful people. before and after traces so exactly what a Dyno jet kit can do for you, Money well spent., apart from the numbers the bike is smoother and runs alot cooler than before. strange dip at the top of the chart ( actually around 8,000 had me concerned so I asked why, seems that it's back wheel starting to spin up !( its a sh8t old tire ), it was heading towards 110 RWHP before that at 8,500, which is as far as we went, even if peak power is supposed to be a bit higher up . good service here I think, recommended. sorry the chart is a bit creased, had to shove it down my jacket for the ride home!
Spongebob

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting results on the 1100 engine. Do these SB get any engine work or was it stock GSX1100?

I've got the same motor in a Harris Magnum frame but running CR33 carbs. Not had it set up on the dyno yet but the thing is a beast that lifts its front wheel at the slightest provocation. Complete contrast to my Katana that has the stock CV carbs off an 1100EFE. It's a Japanese import so we had to junk the original carbs and ignition to lose the restrictions but even with the Dyno jet kit its still flat in comparison.
Ed Light

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no fancy tuning and no fancy carbs, just the bog stock CV's it's actually an 1135 EFE engine, not the katana 1074 one, but stock as far as I know. some fancy slide carbs would be a step again and can make the response a good deal sharper. given the percentage of weight over the front on the SB4 you'd have to go some to be lifting that just of the throttle. I wasnt to bothered with the outright number, mid range to upper range drive is more important on the road, and it feels fast now, given it's light weight. mid range surge is very strong, and given the gearing on these things, mid range is alot of MPH!
quikduk

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRs would probably be the way to go on yours as it is stock. the following site has a lot of good info, complete banks setup for you as well as the requisite parts.

http://www.dynoman.net/index.html

These are not cheap though. Keep an eye on the size as the key is to use the smallest carb that will give you the top end you want with the very upper mid-range to full throttle acceleration you expect. The off idle acceleration is generally best with smaller carbs. The velocity is the key to big power and acceleration and that's not really possible with over-sized carbs.

CR 33's maybe. CR 31's probable. The FCRs are a different beast altogether and in those, maybe go 39's max unless you have a BIG motor planned. All of these require a push/pull throttle which adds to the cost but they run fantastic when setup correctly.

Nothing like it really. They will wake up your motor and pull your arms out of the sockets, all while wheelie(ing) for the sky. Very Happy
welshlamb

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed Light wrote:
no fancy tuning and no fancy carbs, just the bog stock CV's it's actually an 1135 EFE engine, not the katana 1074 one, but stock as far as I know.

MMMmmm. as far as I knew all the Sb4s were the 1074 engine. SB5s (some of them anyway) got the 1135 engine and were badged as such (1135 script at rear of side/seat unit) Normally you can tell from the instruments what model it came from. I think the 1135 was only fitted on EFE Suzukis? Since Bimota didn't record donor engine numbers its a bit of a lottery anyway, especially when you consider 'kit' bikes
Ed Light

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you are indeed correct about the engine sizes mr Lamb, My SB4S is a full factory bike, but at some point in its life has had the engine changed , so it's now running an 1135 EFE.
Ed Light

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

clock set wise it's got a set of EZ clocks, so I guess that's what the factory cut up to make it in the first place.
SiBag

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not bad for an old girl.

If its got Ti#s or Wheels its gona give you trouble
Ed Light

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whilst all is good power and running wise above 4k it seems that from below 3.5k things have got significantly worse, it stutters and flutters like lumpy twin on a light throttle, more throttle helps but still not great until around 3.5 then on the open throttle it clears and away. Web heros will say " just pin it above that" but lifes not like that in reality. tried adjusting pilots screw in makes it much worse, out gives a slight change, hard to say if it's better or not. cant find out if screwing the screw in on these CV carbs makes it lean or rich, I think lean, anyone know? plugs are very clean, certainly not over rich. Frustrating!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> Bimota Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: