Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

DB2 key blanks and other questions
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darmah

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:25 am    Post subject: DB2 key blanks and other questions Reply with quote

I finally realized my dream of owning a DB2. I purchased it in California and am in the final stages of importing it into Canada where I live. It is sitting at a local motorcycle shop just south of the border waiting for me to bring it home. The person I bought it from only had one set of keys (ignition and fuel tank) and no owner's manual either. Does anyone know where I can find key blanks or what other key blanks will work. Also, does anyone know if there is an online owner's manual? I've downloaded owner's manuals for all my other bikes (Moto Guzzi Centauro, Ducati 907ie, Ducati 900SS) but can't find one for the DB2. Was there even one to begin with?
The bike was built in June of 1993, the first year of production and the serial number is ZES1D214PRZES001. I'm hoping that '001' at the end could possibly mean it is the first one made. Any opinions or thoughts?
2bims

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Darmah...and congrats and welcome to the oh so close world of Bimota Ownership...the smallest niche market in the bike World...Fullstop...

Original new copies of the Owners Manual are still for sale from Paolo Girotti of BimotaClassicParts in Italy......I have Good quality pdf scans of Owners Manual, Exploded Spare Parts Diagrams and Workshop Manual (for what that's worth)...so just pm me your email address and I can send them through.

Keys....The Original Keys used for the Petrol cap (which is a fake blank...as the tank underneath has a screw cap on it...the top is just the flap)...also serves the fold down rear seat hump where a small tool kit can be kept.....When new the key blanks were made by Zadi.....Silca do Modern day exact copies....The ignition barrel is a Ducati Barrel...and normally you can order key blanks from a Ducati dealer...and then get them cut to match by your local keysmith

The No. 001 means it was the first DB2 registered in USA in that year...USA bikes got unique numbering system different from EU bikes
Darmah

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the help Steve. I've sourced the ignition key but still haven't been able to find the gas cap key. Do you know which model number of Silca it is?
2bims

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure on which number Darmah...I gave a copy of the original to Timpsons Key cutters....they photocopied both sides and sent to their Master supplier who found a copy blank made by Silca...they sent the blank and the key was cut

Just had a quick look.....on the back of the Silca key...it is stamped ZD 9....hope that helps

My "original supplied" Zadi petrol cap keys for my DB1 and DB4 are the same locking system as on DB2, same key banks...but they are numbered keys E523...E554
Darmah

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday was a great day! I brought my DB2 across the border, dealing with all the customs formalities and now it is an official Canadian Bimota. I'd be really curious to know just how many Bimotas are in Canada as I don't think there was ever a distributor here. I remember back in the late 90's an ex-racer Gary Goodfellow tried to get the rights to sell them here but the hassles to get past government regulations were so crazy that in the end he had to send the bikes he had brought over back to Italy. I somehow doubt that there are more than a handful around. Maybe I should start a Bimota Owner's Club of Canada.

One question I have for you is whether the gas cap key is the same key for the seat lock at the back of the bike. The key I have opens the gas cap but not the other.
2bims

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alloy filler Cap key...and Seat hump key...should be the same key....worthy of note to ask previous owner.....if you only have one key at present...you don't want to try "forcing" the rear seat hump off if its NOT the same key for some reason...Not like there should be anything in there.....The set up of the rear seat lock latch/bumpstop removal is old fashioned....same as glovebox locks in cars in the 1960's/70's etc....you sometimes have to push the bumpstop back to help relieve tension on the bent catch that loops onto the bumpstop...enabling the key to turn...don't force it though...snapped key and no fuel fill-up
Darmah

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, there's something wrong as the key won't even go into the lock at all. It looks like someone tried to force it or pick it at some point. I may have to just leave it as is and not worry about accessing the little storage space or get it drilled out and find a new lock for it. I'll think on it over winter and have something figured out by spring. I fired her up today and she started and ran with no problems at all. Love the sound and it has the stock pipes. Just loud enough for me. My '92 900ss with Termis is way too loud which is something that must have to do with my aging ears or something. My 1979 Darmah SSD with a full VeeTwo race rebuild and a two into one Verlichi race pipe was the loudest bike I've about ever heard and I never cared; just music to my ears. Man! were my neighbours ever happy when I sold that to a collector in Australia. Still, I think the DB2 is just right the way it is; nicely loud but not crazy.
2bims

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The locks are easily available on ebay/elsewhere...unfortunately no access to the area other than opening and "hinging down the seat bump...as that has 2 bent round pins in the bottom that locate into the seat/tank unit.....the seat lock itself simply has a threaded lock ring underneath that holds it in place....only accessible after opening though....typical...Just need a photo of the bike now
2bims

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heres Darmahs bike.....

Darmah asked me for update "actual" pictures of the sidestand mod to change from Suicide stand to "manual retract"...so here they are....what hacked me off OTHER than Photobucket cancelling all shared images...they assured all customers that the photos were still there...and safe...Yeh...SORT of...evidently as no-one has paid the $400 a year to be able to host on Forums...when you og into your account...the images are there...but have been downgraded to mere avatar with 30-40Kbs each..evidently to save their storage costs...Barstewards....As ive recently had a laptop meltdown...and mobile phone go AWOL...and a lot of my images are now just mere shadows of their former selves...Grrghh

This is the plate I made up...only about an inch and half tall...plate on left is original one that after 21 years the spring finally pulled its way through one day...so I'm fine if the new plate lasts that long

You can see here where I inserted a bolt into a spare hole on what is in effect a Ducati side stand plate...but with Bimota is unused....spaced out both sides and fabbed up alloy plate bottom hole it inserts bolt here...relocating spring attachment further forward to shift the retraction point of the existing springs...thus from "up"...when you kick it past 90 degrees..the spring pulls back at a different point...retaining the stand in a down position...until you manually kick it back....with this mod...I can pullover, kick the stand out and it holds...place bike on sidestand..and dismount..otherwise...like DB1...you would have to dismount first then deploy the sidestand when off the bike...easy on a Db1 as its a tiny toy..not so easy on Tall Db2

I also think that the sidestand mounting plate has longer bolts and spacers behind the plate where it mounts onto the engine block to enable swing clearance of the new spring pull direction

(Yes..this is what disgraceful Photobucket have done to my saved images....)

Darmah

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks 2bims! I had a locksmith friend of mine come over and he picked the seat back lock then fixed it all up good. Works like a charm now.
Those photos of the side stand fix are great. I'll get on that project next.
Lastly, thanks for posting pics of my bike, much appreciated.
2bims

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darmah wrote:
Thanks 2bims! I had a locksmith friend of mine come over and he picked the seat back lock then fixed it all up good. Works like a charm now.

A "locksmith friend" eh??.....With special skills honed on the street no doubt....secrets safe with me...and all those on this Forum...Was there any special surprise in the seat hump? Or was it plain boring empty?
Darmah

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:11 am    Post subject: No secret treasure Reply with quote

If only! All I found were old insurance and registration papers. I was hoping for an owner's manual or tool kit. Sheesh! I don't even know if they came with a tool kit. 25 years ago I was buying some parts for my '79 Ducati from Miller Specialties (now gone) and was told they had a genuine tool kit for a '79 Darmah so I bought it. Not even close but it was brand new, still wrapped in plastic and I put it on a shelf in my garage. About 2 years ago I took it down and got on Ebay and Google Images and found out it was a tool kit for a 1992 Ducati 900SS. So earlier this year I bought a 1992 Ducati 900SS and guess what? No tool kit! Hah! No problem, got that one covered.
2bims

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah well...at least you have access to the compartment anyhow.....There were always a few "extras" with Bimotas when bought new....many of not all of which were either kept by the dealer or the first owner

For the DB2....and Vdue also that I am aware of...there was an Owners Leather bound lockable folder for keeping your owners manual and service book in...which had an engraved plaque on the front with your frame number on it

And then there was always the Bimota leather key case that tucked your spare key away when riding so as to not jangle on the top yoke....

Then there was the Official Sales brochure...presumably handed out at Bike shows and dealers???...A pricey item nowadays depending on which model of bike....

[img]http://i.imgur.com/BpWAM3zh.png?1[/img]

[img]http://i.imgur.com/LRuW0oGh.png?1[/img]

Toolkit??...Yup there was a toolkit...even provided with later bikes that came with no compartment on the bike to store it

Don't be hunting one down though...they aint nothing special...not like they are titanium Snap-on quality or any such....

A lot of the bikes also came with a red velour bike cover and bag to keep it in....with BIMOTA on the side of course

https://www.racebikemart.com/adverts/Bike_cover_Bimota__1455527442.php

....and all bikes at one time came with a through rear spindle packing crate "pop-up" stand, so to speak...which are very handy...the DB2 rear stand was modified with 2 pins to locate in the rear concentrics of the rear spindles.....

Add to that the "owners handbook"..."service manual" and usually a Paioli forks service manual.....latterly there came available the "Workshop manual" and "spare parts booklet" for each model...intended at Dealers no doubt...
TVRRICH

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

was'nt the special "eccentric adjuster" with the 2 prongs in the tool kit aswell
2bims

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed it was....but I don't have one of those...these are toolkits from younger models...included a duster also....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> DB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: