Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

1993 YB10
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vort28

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yb11reno wrote:

MV AGusta F4. It has the Mamba kit (carbon fiber body panels), $15K in upgraded brakes and suspension, cf gas tank, titanium subframe. The bike Bimota wouldve built had they used an MV Agusta motor.

Never heard of those kits , but you made my day worth while now as I have learn't something interesting at work !! Very Happy
Tirefriar

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack, are you the seller of the '92 YB8 in Reno?

I have had a rather difficult time in finding a second generation Tuono Factory, so turned my views towards an MV. Just missed out on a clean 2010 Brutale 990 with 7700 miles. I was always nervous about the MV quality. My friend's F4 could be seen much more often at the service shop than on the road....
2004 BMW R11S BCR
2010 Ducati Streetfighter 1098 S
Jaguar

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too have debated on a MV for a while.

Was offered an early 750 Brutale with miles for around $4k.
Thought it would make a nice daily rider.
Tirefriar

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the early ones suffered from rear hub bearing failure and electrical issues, suggest you do some research before diving in.
2004 BMW R11S BCR
yb11reno

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, some early MV Agustas had issues with rear bearing failure. Maybe 1 out of every 100 bikes. some blame it on over-torqueing the pinch bolts on the rear axle carrier. In any event, simple solutions ranging from just a bearing replacement (less than $100 to replace stock bearing assembly with a Mitch's hub - around $500).
I'd be more worried about the newer 3 cylinder versions, especially the 675.
Go to the mvaugstanet.com to research before you get serious - ask questions, you'll get some excellent feedback just like you do here.
In the MV Agusta world there are "limited production" models and "special parts" bikes. Basically, the limited production (usually 300 or less produced) is a factory special. The special parts versions usually mean you provide the bike and order the SP kit to install. That's what I have with the Mamba kit. My bike is actually both. Somebody started with a 2005 Ago (#35 of 300 produced) and then installed the full mamba kit consisting of special wheels, all carbon fiber body panels, special paint scheme, numbered plaque. But that wasn't good enough, so the first owner spent another $15K upgrading brakes and shocks, replacing all bolts with titanium, free-flowing exhaust, other carbon bits.
I can't leave well enough alone, so I've added a carbon fiber gas tank and titanium rear subframe.
The MV agusta motor is magic. There's a video on youtube that explains the motors are handbuilt, taking 15 hours to assemble. The valve design was taken from Ferrari race motor design. The howl from the motor at 14,000 rpm sends chills up your spine.
wallaman

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So have had a several Bimotas (KB3, DB4 and still have a DB2), a couple of MV's (750 Brutale and a 910R stock to well modified) and a couple of first generation Tuonos (currently have a highly modified '03 Factory). From many years of ownership and many motorcycles, the first gen Tuono is by far the MOST fun motorcycle I have ever owned.

I love the DB2 - super light and small, handles great, a bit underpowered (that's a good thing these days) and it's beautiful to have in the garage. Getting old enough that the riding position is, shall we say, less attractive.

Nothing I've owned over the years sounds as sweet as the the wail of the four cylinder MV's at full tilt. Nothing. They are light, agile, and the build quality and design are magnificent. But they seem to demand to be ridden in anger ALL the time. Mine just never seemed happy if I just wanted to go for a ride.

The Tuono is ugly. So, with that out of the way, the stock Rotax V-Twin is a riot and a big bore one a riot times 10. The seat isn't perfect, but the overall ridding position is good for 400-500 mile days back to back to back. Handles like a GP bike (Ohlins thank you) with high bars, and with a few tweeks will keep up with just about anything modern on the street. That said, it's easy (and happy) to ride fast or slow. Did I say it has a great engine.... Way too much fun to be legal. Leaves me with a huge grin every time I ride it.

Hope that helps.
Chuck S.
Tirefriar

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuck, I know of several people who are in love with their gen1 Tuonos. Not having had experience in riding either gen1or gen2, all I can do is gather as much info as I can before pulling a trigger. Personally I am leaning toward a second generation Tuono because gen 2 has more power and better suspension, and IMO it has righted the wrongs of gen1 in the looks department. Have you had chance to experience gen2 and if so, how do the two models compare in your opinion?
2004 BMW R11S BCR
wallaman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had an '04 RSVR for a short while and have ridden an '05 Tuono once. Neither where stock (and unlikely you will find a bone stock first gen Tuono either anymore). Hard to describe, but neither bike had quite the "rawness" of the first gen bikes. That said, they were still fun. There's just something about the first gen T's that makes me smile. Over the years, my '03 got a big bore kit, race suspension, carbon wheels, etc... I don't ride a lot anymore, getting old Smile but my T always delivers when I do. I did a 1200 mile three day loop not long ago with a couple of guys, one an a new KTM and the other on a new BMW twin. We all had a gas, but the T blew the BMW away and had no problem dicing it up with the KTM. I think both my friends were surprised. There are some pics of it on the AF1 Aprilia Forum site I posted a while ago if you're interested.

Now, back to Bimotas....
Jaguar

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seller bumped the posting.
I really like this bike.

Wonder why it has not sold.
https://miami.craigslist.org/brw/mcd/d/1993-bimota-yb10-bimota-ybcc/6331389491.html
yb11reno

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could've picked this up at the Las Vegas auction last year.

https://www.mecum.com/lots/LV0117-263587/2003-aprilia-tuono-r/

There's supposed to be a Bimota DB1 SR going through in Januaray

https://www.mecum.com/lots/LV0118-315506/1988-bimota-db1-sr/
Tirefriar

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaguar wrote:
Seller bumped the posting.
I really like this bike.

Wonder why it has not sold.
https://miami.craigslist.org/brw/mcd/d/1993-bimota-yb10-bimota-ybcc/6331389491.html

No word in the ad about the running condition. If the bike sat as display, it will need recommissioning. The only way to find out is to reach out to the seller. If it turns out that this bike needs nothing except for a rider, then this is a very good deal
2004 BMW R11S BCR
Jaguar

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is the YB10 compared to a YB8?
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaguar wrote:
How is the YB10 compared to a YB8?

Close enough that they used YB8 chassis numbers. Slightly higher bars, slightly lower pegs. USD forks.

All the best

Katy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> Bikes For Sale All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: