Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Brake M/cyl question..

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rpo83

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:34 am    Post subject: Brake M/cyl question.. Reply with quote

Hello brains trust, i thought i'd ask this question here as it covers all older Bimotas of any flavour...

My YB5 has had a non original front brake M/cyl, so i'm now contemplating, either trying to source a genuine Yamaha master that the bike came with, or upgrade to something better.

So for those of us with Brembo Gold Line calipers, would one of Brembo's new RCS master cylinders work? They are available in 15mm, 17mm and 19mm piston sizes, the YB5 originally had a 5/8 which is basically 16mm.

Is there any reason why these wouldn't be suitable?

I look forward to your eloquent replies Smile

Steve

YB5 #130, YB5 #196, YB7 #302, SB6 #949, Laverda RGS Executive, Laverda RGS Corsa.
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

No experience with the twin pot calipers. But my Dieci came with the original Yamaha master cylinder (with a Dieci sticker on it). It was badly mismatched to the Brembo calipers. Very dead feeling.

I switched to a master cylinder from an Aprilia Mille which dramatically improved the braking

All the best

Katy
rpo83

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Katy,

i haven't got to ride the YB much yet, but the short rides i have had, yes the front brake felt very dead... i was thinking it could have just been very old pads... but the more i think about it, the more i'm leading to going away from original..

Do you know the piston size of the Mille master cylinder??

Steve

YB5 #130, YB5 #196, YB7 #302, SB6 #949, Laverda RGS Executive, Laverda RGS Corsa.
DB1 860

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steve
I fitted radial masters to 2 of my Ducati's and loved them, then I fitted one to my DB1, it was a complete overkill, possibly because of the bikes weight.
So I fitted a brembo PSC 16 which comes in gold or black with a silver handle and are very happy with it, I'm running different calipers than you with braided lines, you can also get a matching clutch master.
Its a shame you weren't living closer as you could have come around and we could have fitted some of the masters that I have in my collection.
Its also worth putting new pads in a giving the rotors a hone.

Gerald
rpo83

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mate,

How is your search for a YB5 going??

Can i ask, a few things.. What size radial did you fit to the DB1? What calipers were on the Ducati's where you loved the radials?

The YB5 is a bit bigger and heftier than the DB1, i want to leave the bike as stock as possible, so at this stage i have no intention of fitting bigger calipers etc, which will change the look of the bike, but m/cylinders are almost invisible, so i think i'm happy to replace those..

Thanks for your input.

Steve

DB1 860

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not been able to find a YB5 yet... I may instead have a look at a DB4, but I'll wait till I get my licence back.
The radial master that was fitted to the DB1 was a 19x20 and the calipers are Brembo CNC 30/34, on the ducatis the calipers are Brembo 4 piston P4- 34/34F.
My 748R which weighs 200kgs+ has the PSC 15 as standard fitment, it works extremely well, it also runs the 34/34 caliper, so I'm not sure how things would go with your 2 piston calipers.
If you go radial make sure it has a brake light switch.
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SB6 - I had the brembo goldline callipers which I changed to billet ones, I used a 19/20 billet radial master cylinder with them. The iron rich discs take a little heat to get them to really work but as they do it really pulls the speed down.

If you're unsure then try to ID the callipers first then the bike they where used on and finally a master cylinder from that bike. Alternatively use an adjustable master like the Brembo RCS and see which ratio you like.
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpo83 wrote:

i haven't got to ride the YB much yet, but the short rides i have had, yes the front brake felt very dead... i was thinking it could have just been very old pads... but the more i think about it, the more i'm leading to going away from original..

Yep, thats how mine were. I tried different pads to start with and used some EBC HH pads (which I have liked on other bikes). On the Dieci they were very marginally better in the dry but frightening in the wet (pull the brakes, count slowly to 5 and then they came on).

rpo83 wrote:
Do you know the piston size of the Mille master cylinder??

Afraid I don't. It is a conventional m/c not a radial one. There is more level travel but I have fairly small hands (and pretty much always use 4 fingers on the brake leve) so happy with that

All the best

Katy
Jonny B Bad

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:46 pm    Post subject: M/cyl for Brembo goldlines Reply with quote

Brembo says the following:

The RCS radial master cylinder is available in two different versions: 19 and 15.

The numbers indicate the diameter of the piston and define the respective applications for the two versions: the 19RCS must be used in a dual disc system with 4-piston non-floating calipers, whereas the 15 RCS may be installed in single or dual disc systems with 4-piston floating calipers.

I have used the 19 RCS on YB8 and SB6R with Brembo goldlines and the feel at the lever is much better. On the YB8, it replaced a period Yamaha master, which was either on or off.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> Bimota Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: