Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

DB6 Fuel Lines cracked
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
quikduk

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:44 am    Post subject: DB6 Fuel Lines cracked Reply with quote

As I was checking the rear wiring re: my turn signal issue, I started taking more parts off and noticed that my fuel lines are cracked. This is likely due to the age but also likely to the crappy ethanol in our gasoline over here in California.

So here are my questions du jour.

1. Are these lines the same as the 1000cc Multistradas or are they Bimota specific?

2. Can I cut off the fuel clamps, change the hoses to some BMW silicone hose and install new crimp fuel clamps? If so, how do the lines come off the throttle bodies as I assume the tank ends are quick couplers?

3. Where do I find the tool and clamps for the new hoses?

4. Is there a specific pressure requirement for the hoses and clamps?

Thanks in advance.
DB1RS2R

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

1. I don't know this bike specifically but I imagine all the fuel lines are 8 mm (5/16") like most fuel injected European motorcycles.

2. I like to spread the squeeze style clamps open with an awl versus cutting them. I don't think anyone is using silicone fuel lines. I would install 13-14 mm screw type clamps with edges that are flared up so they don't cut into the fuel line when tight.

If your bike has quick disconnects, I highly recommend replacing any plastic male fittings with brass fittings as they tend to snap at the groove and spray large amounts of fuel everywhere. Females are fine (oh, they are indeed!).

Here's a website selling the proper fittings at excellent prices with Viton o-rings that can handle our California ethanol gasoline:

http://quickcouplings.net/osc/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=Viton&osCsid=b445f82e338d73a6b1d3b6d932108ddd&x=0&y=0

3. You can find the clamps and pliers online after some searching but I wouldn't bother. They're fast on the assembly line but reusable clamps are convenient.

4. Buy fuel line/hose at your local auto parts store. Just make sure it's hose for fuel injected vehicles (good for about 100-150 psi) not hose for carbureted vehicles. If any hose stays submerged in fuel, that's a different story and the hose is fairly expensive.

Let me know if you need clarification. Good luck!

Kind regards,
Adam
'00 Ducati 996
'10 Ducati Streetfighter 1098
'69 Laverda 750 GT
'66 Velocette Venom Clubman
NorVin project (in progress)
Previous Bimota: '87 YB5
vort28

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My DB7 lines went, looked for silicon ones but could not find fuel resistant ones. Ended up with replacing like for like as on the DB7 the clearance to tank etc was an issue so had to ensure OD was the same as originals.
As suggested the clamps can be sprung off, again I replaced with crimp ones due to clearance..
quikduk

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well guys, as you can see from the delays in my posts...I have been swamped with work at work. Confused

I may be actually able to work on the DB6 this weekend...after my chores. I will look further at these fuel lines and connections. I have 5/16" fuel injected hose that should work as well as the euro-type solid adjustable band clamps in case I don't install new squeeze clamps.

I will also look at the type of fuel quick connect fittings if present so I can see what I need to convert to the metal/Viton combination listed above.

I'll post results and maybe some pics if I can get time to get a new photo hosting site login so I can move all of my photo/posting histories from P-O-S-Bucket.

Regards to all.
quikduk

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So about 2 weekends ago, maybe 3...I changed out the fuel lines. What a PITA. I had to take far more off the bike than I should have. The rear tank bracket, once loosened, didn't allow for the tank removal until I undid the two Allen (hex) screws into the billet aluminum block around the ignition switch. Then and only then could I pull the tank. Maybe the tank has swelled but would it have killed Bimota to weld in a hinge point on this bracket???

Anyway, I took the tank off, then the airbox (another PITA)...I really miss my FCR flatslides...

I used new reinforced 5/16" fuel line which fit the dimensions of the fuel pipe connections perfectly. I also used euro solid worm drive fuel line clamps instead of the band clamps for ease of future (Hah!) removal.
quikduk

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have preferred the metric fuel line which has a thinner wall but none was available at my location when I was working on the DB6...and I forgot to stop by the BMW dealer to see what they had in stock. The 5/16" line is a bit thicker overall so fitting the two lines in the pre-molded crevasse of the airbox/crankcase vent area was tough.

It was really tough putting everything back together too as there is not much space for anything on this bike. Everything works and no leaks so at least that is good.

Now I am on to the fork rebuild.
2bims

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes indeed....things are mighty tight and packed in on the DB6...my personal hate is the battery...and its terminals....and the metalplate fixed infront of it....Part of the nature of a "naked"....with bimota trying to hide everything....DB5 with its fairing is Far far easier to work on...as they slapped a lot of residual parts on other brackets behind the fairings

Just a quick note...and only because someone on here told me so......When removing the tank.....yup...riders seat pad off first.....then remove the 3 bolts that are fitted thru the industrial SS formed bracket.....which itself has 4 fixings......OK...so tank is now loose.....the front bracket around the ignition barrel are mere locating pins that push into the front of the tank......The one...well actually 2 things stopping the tank being lifted off...are the drain hose nipples on the back rear section of the tank......simply unbolt those...eh voila.....dont worry about leaks...they are both drain holes for the filler cap....there are internal drain lines in the tank....one is for the outer ring of the filler cap to collect rain and water when being washed and exit it through the cap base into a hose and out the back thru a drain hose...the other is for "overfill" of fuel that sits in the fuel cap base......Once those 2 are removed...the rear of the tank lifts clear without having touched that hefty bracket or even loosened it off...

I hope you checked the integrity of the air filter once the tank was off???
2bims

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you sort out your rear light/indicator issue not working something???
quikduk

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that. It could have been designed better. Live and learn.

I did check the air filter. It was an aftermarket unit and looked to be in brand new condition, no dirt, etc. I also used the opportunity to clean up around the various bits below the airbox.

If I had the money...and time, I'd swap out all that fuel injection stuff for a set of 41mm flatslide Keihin FCRs similar to what was on my '93 750SS. I loved the sound of those things or I can deal with the FI throttle glitch at 4K-5K as it kind of wakes me out of my riding stupor and says "pay attention"!

Re: the signals, alas no. I may buy a signal relay JIC it is bad. I can hear it click but I have no indicators nor lights on my dash. Since my next real to-do is to rebuild the forks (seals, fluid, etc.), I will get those done first, then strip the rest of the front end apart to test everything else. I am totally stumped ATM.
quikduk

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well work has been keeping me very busy...and stressed these days so I have not been available to lurk or post.

To resurrect this thread, I was going to ride today. I started the bike and within a few seconds, raw fuel began leaking on the ground...a LOT.

I shut the bike off and watched to make sure it wasn't trying to immolate me. It appears that my new fuel lines had either loosened (not likely) or the difference between the SAE and metric sizes caused the leak.

I used 5/16" ID Gates Fuel Injection hose (7.9mm) but I think the factory is 7mm as the only metric fuel hose sizes I could find are 3mm, 5mm, and 7mm. I will check BMW dealerships or independent shops and see if I can buy a few feet of each size for both the feed lines and the tank vent/overflow lines.

Now I just have to find time to take the top of the bike off again... Rolling Eyes
2bims

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a pain...naked are great...but everything is hidden away and crammed in...airbox removal and fitment is a nightmare...

Last edited by 2bims on Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
quikduk

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good evening 2bims.

Yes I was not too happy but I didn't set myself on fire...yet..

I guess I get to re-do the work...and I HATE that. At least it happened 5 feet outside of my garage.
2bims

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They say practice makes perfect....At least I was told the best way to take the tank off....unscrew the 2 No breather drain hole plugs that are screwed into the back of the tank and their hoses....and you dont have to mess with the half inch think SS bracket that the plugs impact on stopping tank lifting off....
quikduk

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll try that. Do you know what diameter the fuel hoses are as well as the vent hoses? I am trying to order some metric lines and clamps of the right size as the SAE 5/16" = 7.9 MM was apparently just slightly too large.
quikduk

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I found a website and the hoses are made in Germany so I may order some in 5mm, 6mm, 7mm and 8mm just to be safe but maybe after I pull the tank and mic the fittings.

https://www.belmetric.com/multifuel-hoseethanol-approved-c-14_662/?zenid=1bcj6i5k6o4spduka6voc9d1v6
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> DB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: