Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

New owner of an SB6
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
777ljb

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:26 pm    Post subject: New owner of an SB6 Reply with quote

Hi Guys

I have just bought an 1996 SB6 with just 4100 miles on her from new, can anyone help with getting hold of a user & workshop manual please. Also, can you buy headlamps for it as one is starting corrode.

Thank you
stockcar

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think there are potentially 2x different types from previous info on here but I'm sure the like is @Evilchicken0 might have some better info......

Welcome along
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeedy there are two types of headlight. You need to know if you have a mark 1 or 2 bike ... probably a 2. So, take a look at the brake / clutch master cylinder, are the fluid reservoirs separate or built in ? Now look at the clocks, do they have sliver surround or does the rev counter have a carbon surround

If you have separate res and carbon on the rev counter it's a mark 2. In which case you can use gsxr1100 lamps. Cut the original plastic and set these lamps into the unit. The originals are an all in one plastic thing and are complete shite as a headlight.
777ljb

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your quick replies! Its a Mk2, I have managed to download a parts manual, but would like a user & service/workshop manual, so would be grateful if anyone can help.

Re the headlight, I am reasonable at mechanics, so is it difficult to fit GSXR1100 headlamps?

Thank you once again.
GeeKay

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a user manual somewhere - will find it tomorrow.
777ljb

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi GeeKay

Thank you for your help re user manual, did you have any luck in finding one?

Also, the side stand appears to be too short as the bike is almost at tipping point when on the stand. Is this a known problem, I will need to lengthen the stand by about 40mm to get the correct angle of lean.

Once again any help will be gratefully received.

Thank you.
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fitting the lamps onto the original plate isn't too difficult.
Yes the sidestand is a known problem, it doesn't have a locking ball bearing that the sb6r has either.

Have you tried finding the oil filler yet Smile
777ljb

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know where it is, but getting to it, now that's another issue.

I am taking the fairing off in the near future as it needs a little bit of paintwork, so I will service the bike once this is done.

Other things to do are, replace the handlebar grips, (Found exact replacements), replace the faulty indicator relay as they flash too fast. (The bulbs are ok.) Extend the side stand, remove a small amount of staining from the swinging are, chain side. Other than that the bike is an 8/10.

I am having difficulties obtaining a user/service manual, hopefully someone here may be able to help.

Any other advice will be gratefully received!
brian

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

777ljb wrote:
I know where it is, but getting to it, now that's another issue.

I am taking the fairing off in the near future as it needs a little bit of paintwork, so I will service the bike once this is done.

Other things to do are, replace the handlebar grips, (Found exact replacements), replace the faulty indicator relay as they flash too fast. (The bulbs are ok.) Extend the side stand, remove a small amount of staining from the swinging are, chain side. Other than that the bike is an 8/10.

I am having difficulties obtaining a user/service manual, hopefully someone here may be able to help.

Any other advice will be gratefully received!

To be honest, the service manual isn't a lot of use anyway. Better off just getting a manual dor the engine, GSXR1100 W, the rest is fairly simple. The Paoili forks have their own manual as well, so the SB6 manual is no use there.
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
brian

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a Long ball end Allen key to get the oil filler plug out and use a long funnel, but some just pour the oil in through the rocker cover breather hose
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
GeeKay

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI Lloyd

found it

contact me via pm if you are interested in buying it.
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put the oil in through the crank case breather - I use a funnel onto the breather hose.
The flasher relay is below and left of the headlights. If your taking the fairing off I find it easier to raise the front wheel ... I use an Abba service stand and a front lift. You can do it with the wheel in place, it's easier with it out.
777ljb

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again to all.

Now have a user manual, thanks to GeeKay and have a parts manual. All I have to do now is get her looking her best again!
T8KC

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would you be willing to make a PDF copy of the important parts of the manual?
777ljb

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi T8KC, sorry for the late reply. I have tried to attach a PDF of the user & parts manual but I am having difficulties in attaching to the forum.

Give me your email address & I will see if I can send it that way. (Unless some clever person who knows how to attach PDF's from my Apple Mac to this message board can help!)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> SB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: