Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

New toy - YB6 Tuatara

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spongebob

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:52 pm    Post subject: New toy - YB6 Tuatara Reply with quote

Been and added another Bimota to the flock. Just taken delivery of a 1990 YB6 Tuatara. Must admit I love the look of the thing. It was imported from Germany a couple of years ago and has lived in storage since. It is UK registered.

I've not given it a massive going over yet but some immediate observations based on poking around in the garage and a very short ride up and down the road:

Fork seals are weeping. Not sure if this is just due to age and lack of use but will fail MOT. I cant find fork seals listed for this bike but I assume other bikes of this vintage will have 42mm Marzocchi USD forks I could search against?

Speedo is not working. The magnet on the front disc does not seem to be magnetic anymore so hopefully a quick fix.

Paint. There is some heat damage to lower areas of the paint on the fairing. The previous owner covered the bike whilst it was still hot and the trapped heat has caused paint to melt. No damage to fairing though

I was also wondering what I should insure it for value wise. I know what I paid but I've no idea whether that was a good price or not. Seller had to part with it as he is moving to the US with work and he cant take it with him.
who

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure these will sort you out, The dust caps work, Just check the seal size prior to ordering, Pyramid have the deeper seal as well 12.5 mm. Pretty sure the 10 mm seal is the one you need.

I would pull them down to confirm.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/391797976968?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Pyramid-Parts-Fork-Dust-Seals-for-KTM-250-MC-MC250-84-85-41-7mm/391806813739?epid=1625339161&hash=item5b3981862b:g:tucAAOxybqpRiHer
2bims

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats SpongeBob....and as Who has pointed out...you'll find the forks should be 41.7mm forks...same as used on DUcati Paso, 851/888 (certain models...)

As to value? Well...as has been said on the insurance thread....and as I've read on the smallprint...only if you have had an approved individual assessor carry out a valuation...and provided this and photos to the Insurer...is it actually an "agreed" value...but even then...KGM/Footman James have a "get out of jail free" clause written in...that subject to a claim....they can challenge the agreed value and pay only "market Value"...as they contest it being a classic that market values are subject to change...in that they can go donw as well as up.....so decide your won value.....Bike looks nice though....does all the LCD dash work on it?
Spongebob

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re LCD dash. All works except speedo. It just reads zero when ignition is on. Hoping it might just be issue with pick up off the disc bolt. Will clean, check gap and hope!
2bims

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theres been problems with even the newer DB5/Db6 in that the magnets lose their magnetism ...they are supposed to osscilate back and forth off the disc bolts...but don't when they lose their magnetism.....going back to Physics classes...magnets can be remagnetised...also check that the disc bolts haven't been swapped out for SS bolts which don't attract magnets
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Heard rumours that seals from an RS125 can be used.

I have a stock of Marzocchi ones ones. I ordered them from the Italian Marzocchi distributor and they were individually quite cheap, but a chunk of postage from Italy (hence I ordered my lifetimes supply!).

All the best

Katy
ruffef

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha, that looks familiar....

I looked at that bike a bit earlier and took some advice from Dave T who also has one....

loved the luchinelli ducati he had, but that was £25k...

fred
ruffef

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha, that looks familiar....

I looked at that bike a bit earlier and took some advice from Dave T who also has one....

loved the luchinelli ducati he had, but that was £25k...

fred
ruffef

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thought i should clarify....
I really liked it too, and the advice was it was a good buy at that price.
i only had the space in my garage for one, and its now full
ruffef

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spongebob

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ruffef wrote:

That’s what I thought. It’s not perfect by any stretch but what needs doing is service items and an easy paint repair for a competent painter. I’ve had a couple of sneaky rides now and it starts on the button and is extremely quick. I need to sort the speedo as a priority but for now it’s gone back in to storage until it warms up a bit. The price I paid wasn’t the same as advertised so pleased with that too for such a rare bike.
Spongebob

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ruffef wrote:

That’s what I thought. It’s not perfect by any stretch but what needs doing is service items and an easy paint repair for a competent painter. I’ve had a couple of sneaky rides now and it starts on the button and is extremely quick. I need to sort the speedo as a priority but for now it’s gone back in to storage until it warms up a bit. The price I paid wasn’t the same as advertised so pleased with that too for such a rare bike.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> YB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: