Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

YB6 Exup - Recommissioning - UK dealer required...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gavin.gsgm

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:37 pm    Post subject: YB6 Exup - Recommissioning - UK dealer required... Reply with quote

Hi Guys

I am looking for a recommendation for someone who knows their Bimotas that may be interested in recommissioning my YB6 Exup and getting it ready for the road again... I am looking for someone to strip fuel system and rebuild and set it up and get it back on the road for me... I am based in the UK, and I just want someone who knows what’s what, before anyone says , it’s easy, most dealers will do it, it’s a Yam... I would prefer someone with a little more knowledge of Bimotas to look as I would like the chassis looking through as well as it has not been on the road for approx 8 years... I am in no hurry or indeed locality to me is not really important, I just want the right Guy, who’s going to do a good job at sensible money...

Hope I’m not asking too much... I’d do it myself but time is always an issue and I have too many other projects on the go...

Thanks

Gavin
2bims

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gavin...I see that you've been around the Forum for five years or so since buying the YB6.....Is it a bike that was running fine when you first bought it?Or is it an unknown quantity??

Ben Wylie of AmoreMoto was a UK dealer for Bimota.....but still races a BB3 and a YB4 running on carbs.....he now operates a bike maintenance service/repair business so I imagine he would be more than capable...all depends what needs doing ...and budget.....costs can quickly add up....When was it last run? As a matter of course I would say new tyres, new fuel lines, air filter, spark plugs, oil, coolant and brake lines and check of calipers, piston seals...and then theres refreshing of the Front froks....Marzocchi M1R's...41.7mm...for which new seals and dust caps are still available despite Marzocchi going bump....Marzocchi rear should be rebuidable also.....none will be cheap though if you are wanting to farm out the whole bike and let someone else strip out the parts and refresh and send off etc etc....steering head bearings...wheels bearings....Even doing all this yourself would be circa £2K....I've done a few myself and costs just rack up...I imagine any competent mechanic would charge another £2K on top of cost of parts to do everything needed...carb strip and balance etc etc....Hope this helps???..Better to be guarded of potential costs before you go down any particular route....
gavin.gsgm

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Thanks for the prompt reply, I have had the bike about 5 yrs and never run on the road... I’ve had it running when I bought it, and I did have to strip the carbs and replace inlet rubbers.. I did a basic engine service of oil, filter, plugs etc... I also changed all brake and clutch fluids... I got it running, but not great low down, so another year passed and I rode other bikes in the garage... I then came back to it, fitted new tyres and then layed the bike up for the next 3yrs... so as time is precious for me and I have other bikes stripped, I just fancied getting it mobile again... I have heard of Ben before and I will try and make contact to see if he is interested, do you have any contact info?....I just want someone who is not a stranger to these and will not take short cuts as I do want it right... I am aware of the costs involved, although I’d hope to spend less than your figure as it will potentially only get the occasional Sunday ride out and I need to balance cost vs pleasure...problem when you have a few to look after...thanks for your comments..
2bims

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just google amore moto or friend him on Facebook if you are on there...his land line used to be 01630 655720...i'll pm you his mobile number that was still valide last year
gavin.gsgm

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That’s great, many thanks for your help...
Gavin
jatexup

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:51 pm    Post subject: Bimota recommissioning Reply with quote

Hi, as you're in the Lincoln area, then why not give Chris Gunster a ring, as his premises are in Grimsby. He's worked on virtually all my own Bimotas over the years, and does a first class job. He managed to get the ECU repaired on my former SB8r, and the year before last he completely rebuilt the engine in my SB7, and also meticulously set the bike up on the dyno so it runs perfectly both on the road and track. He and his mechanic Dave know all about the peculiarities of Bimotas, having worked on may others as well as mine, so I'd certainly recommend using him without question. www.chrisgunster.co.uk/[/img]
gavin.gsgm

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Thanks for the heads up on Chris, don’t know him personally but, I’ve heard good things about him, just never associated him with Bimota’s.... I will have a word as nice and local too... cheers for that.

Gavin
2bims

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like another good option.......Your rear shock could be looked at...but maybe fine....I would defo though have the Marzocchi M1R froks stripped and cleaned and new fluids and seals put in....In their day they were fine forks...used on top end Ducati 851/888 and Bimota Db1's...and were considered "large" dia forks at 41.7mm....but this was "at the time"......certainly the fluids will be passed their best and these forks have quite short travel...a YB is defo lighter than its Yamaha donor bike...but still a heavy beast...the M1R forks bottom out if the fluids are tired with a perturbing "clunk"....the likes of Maxton normally ditch the RHS anti-dive adjuster and rework the internals.....if youre just after a running and occasional riding bike...then carbs and set up.....front fork refresh and general check-over of linkages, lines, calipers and bearings should suffice if you have done all the other stuff you have previously mentioned.....and if the cast iron front brembo rotors ONLY have movement side to side as opposed to radially around the centre...then they should be fine also...clean out of old fuel...tank clean and fit new visible fuel filter inline so that you can check fuel flow...I use the glass cased metal bodied inline filters with nylon mesh filters that can be taken apart and cleaned...and visibly checked for blockages/fuel flow.....Calipers should be taken off and checked and cleaned for leaks/sticking pistons.....I would imagine that the lines are Original though???? So maybe 28 years old?? Same with master cylinders? Which are probably original Yamaha black coffin pot style....most people change for gold series new brembo or radial......I always like a bike to go...but age now demands I prefer them to be able to stop also....so tyres, calipers, masters, lines, bearings, C&S are my priorities....
gavin.gsgm

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All very wise words, so just need to make a couple of phone calls and gauge the response...then get it in to somewhere, so when the sun comes out, I’m ready to go....

Thanks

Gavin
who

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm happy to recommission the old girl for you, but you would have to fly me over from Australia Laughing
gavin.gsgm

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds like a plan... I could maybe find you a few more to play with too....
Shame you are not UK based... But thanks for the offer.! Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> YB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: