Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

buying DB2 in UK
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stratos

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:57 pm    Post subject: buying DB2 in UK Reply with quote

Hi I am new to the forum and considering buying a DB2 I have seen a couple advertised one at north cornwall M/C and one at north leciester M/C just wonder if anybody new the history of these bikes
Regards Mark
PS there is another one but needs uk registering
Piso

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hej
DB2 is a beautiful bike
Take a look at this post. Do not know if it is still out for sale. Beautiful bike....
http://www.bimotaforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=5312
2bims

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

all down to what you like and how much to pay really....Don't think any of them are pre-owned by anyone on here....Only the Black silver Final edition is a genuine UK bike...with mph speedo and Uk dipping headlight....think this one has flatslides also as the airbox is "gone"....at NLM....the half fairing version with belly an is an import as it has kms speedo...as is the jap import version...although that one has some road rash cover up on the RHS.......Keihin Flatslides are a nice good to have option...but come with no choke...so a little harder to start on a cold UK morning

UK registration is a doddle though if they have entered it onto the NOVA system (so no tax to pay)....simply put they MOT it...and you insure it and with the MOT and NOva notice you apply for a V5....and pay for first registration on an age related plate....and first road tax.....or it can be insured by you on the frame number...you can ride it to MOT station and then do V5 registration application

Lovely bikes...had mine some 8 years now...a few things need checking on them...but best to decide which you want first
2bims

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

last thing...the purple/blue red bike at JL trading is bodywork marked as an "SR"...in that it would have been fitted with a Ducati 900 engine and then Bimota fitted its own fuel injection and ECU...bike is now running on carbs so its all been ripped out and changed for a carbie motor and head at some time...which is why the wiring is seemingly more visible all over the bike...instead of nicely tucked away and bespoke fitted to the bike as it would have been when new....the other two models for sale are both carbie versions originally...so no ECU.....but I think the original Mikuni 38 carbs have been changed for Keihin Flatslides on both (presumably FCR39's and not FCR41's...which would be more commonly used if the engine was an upgraded 944 kit on it...post factory)
2bims

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see that the half fairing bike at North Cornwall motorcycles is plated as a bike from North Leicester Motorcycles at some time....so give them a call and you can ask about 2 of the DB2's for sale at least....
stratos

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:48 am    Post subject: Buying a DB2 in UK Reply with quote

Hi 2 bims thanks for all your help and tips about the FCRs I presume you can tell from the pictures no air box on both?
Do you know if the injection bike of welshlamb has sold?
Thanks again regards Mark
2bims

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mark

this bike mentions the flatslides and trumpet air filters...and you can see "KEIHIN" on the carbs on the right hand side.....on the left you would be able to read whether FCR39's or FCR41's...cast into the body of the carbs but theres no close up picture.....seller is stating that it has "upgrades"...but maybe doesn't realise its probably had an engine change as it would have been a fuel injected bike with a shoebox sized ECU from new.....doesn't look to have its wired plumbed in too well...so only a actual inspection would suffice

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BIMOTA-DB2-DUCATI-MOTOR/202128185754?hash=item2f0fc7599a:g:PegAAOSw3xVaHW4N

This one...you can see the K&N twin cone mesh airfilters stop the carbs....which now reside in the space infront of the tank where the air box would have been...and has to have been removed to accommodate...cant see the carbs properly...so I am assuming maybe they are Mikuni.....the first DB2's in red/white and half fairing bikes were carbies with Mikunis...then they made the DB2SR using their own fuel injection...then they made 100 of the Final Edition...but went back to mikuni carbs again

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bimota-DB2-Final-edition-Ducati-SS-Power-with-just-4325-miles-UK-Bike-history/122737380582?hash=item1c93b7cce6:g:rW8AAOSwSnFZpU~W

This one...on pictures 17 and 19 you can again see...when you magnify the piccies... that K&N cone mesh air filters are fitted...so in effect none of the bikes are truly standard and all have their airboxes removed....this one also has had its petrol cap lock changed....so it would be best to check if the rear seat hump lock has been changed to match also...as the keys are suited for the locks (small rear storage compartment in the hump)

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201703293823950?advertising-location=at_bikes&sort=price-asc&make=BIMOTA&radius=1501&postcode=m333jw&page=1

Dealers often hide details.....afterall they want to sell the bike...or are ignorant...not checking the bikes until they get a "bight" of a sale...and most commonly...aren't aware of the details due to there being so few Bimotas in existence they aren't knowledgeable of all the details....

Happy to talk if it helps.....some are hiding the tyres...except the half fairing one...Those Pirellis were available around 15 years ago...so I would check on tyre age..all tyres have a date stamp on one side of them.....4 digits for the week and year prior to 2000....so 1595 would be 15th week of 1995...post 2000 its the month and the Year...thus 069 would be June 2009...hope this helps
2bims

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to mention...Welshlambs DB2SR is provisionally sold with a deposit taken...but the collection/viewing/full payment is still O/S.....thus he still has the bike at the moment

I've had a closer look at the cheapest one....the purple red and white SR version....I'd steer clear of that one...I can see a Ducati 900SS long fuse box slung under the tank...which means they have swapped out the original wiring loom with one from a Ducati when it went from fuel injection to carbs....normal Bimota fuse box is smaller and neatly clipped to the battery box...thus I can only imagine that the entire engine was sapped out also.....no such thing as matching engine frame numbers on Bimotas...but it puts the mileage on the clocks into question also....the whole wiring installation just looks badly fitted...Bimota may have used a Ducati engine...but a bespoke wiring loom...as all the ancillaries were put in different places....But then it is the cheapest one????..Caveat Emptor
vort28

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark, please bare in mind that with certain bikes ' upgrades ' are not always considered a bonus !!
Also certain Bimota parts are available and others are not, or they are but you have to donate a kidney to get them !! Cheap is not always best.

Not sure if you intend to use or just buying to look at but the DB2 is , how shall I put this ? , a committed riding position !!!!!! It is very 80's/early 90's , firm and heavy on the arms.
I would suggest a ride before you buy.
stratos

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:48 pm    Post subject: buying DB2 in UK Reply with quote

Hi thanks for all the replies , I will take my time looking for one and see what I think to the riding position, what is your opinion of the prices of the bikes discussed?
Thanks again Regards Mark
2bims

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always a tricky and tentative topic with Bimotas...price....Jump into your time machine and zoom back to 1994....A ducati 900 Superlight was roughly £7500 OTR...a Db2 was £14,000........Zoom back to today...and the Superlights are being advertised beyond their original OTR prices by some dealers.....yet were made in their 1,000's......l Bimotas are limited Editions by comparison....the DB2 was some 30 odd lbs lighter than a Superlight...had superior suspension, brakes and a lighter and sharper handling chassis...and then theres the looks...down to opinion...but IMHO...and yup I'm biased....the Bimota styling and build quality is far superior to the relative mass produced Ducatis....theres no suspect frame cracking or rear swingarm cracking like Superlights suffer from.....only 2 pieces of bodywork made from hand laid fibreglass and not plastic...plastic tanks under the covers so no rust issues....frames and swingers were powder coated from new..not painted...Dealer prices are always going to be higher...they have to offer a Warranty even if only 3 months....and thus tend to have to service them to protect themselves....I think all Bimotas are cheap for what you get especially when compared to the alternatives....But then the markets crazy in the UK...who buys yammie Fissies for £5K???...or "minter" RD350LC''s for £6K when they were only £1050 when new???...Maybe not the answer you were hoping for...but if youre looking....if they float your boat and you have the money?...Better than a painting on the wall or a gold plated Arga in the kitchen....Everyone wants a bargain...with a Bimota you can hope to buy and use and later sell for what you paid originally.....Free biking...excl maintenance....For most of us on here the urge is an affliction...we buy, we ride and be damned...none of us have an expiry date stamped on our arse...Bimotas are bikings best kept secret.....Shhh....don't tell everyone or prices may go through the roof
stratos

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:47 pm    Post subject: buying DB2 in UK Reply with quote

Hi 2 bims thanks for the very informative and honest reply about prices of a Bimota DB2
Thanks again Regards Mark
2bims

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you not thought about a DB4????

Db2's always fetch more money than the DB4's of year 2000....DB2's are often at or around £9,000 or more....whereas Db4's are often at around £7-8,000...maybe its the "retro" CrMo frame tubing??

DB2's are favoured but I have no idea why....the DB4's are comfier with a longer and softer and better and lower shaped seat....more modern oval frame and swingarm tubing...and easier to work on....DB2's have a one piece clamshell fairing which has to be split under the engine, prised open like a clamshell and drawn forward and around the front wheel to remove....bit of a pain

Theres a DB2 half fairing for sale in Italy....with 34,500kms...at 10,000 euros

https://www.moto.it/moto-usate/bimota/db2-900/db2-900-1994/6785420

And again a red/white half fairing bike in \Germany....less miles up for 10,900 euros also...QUITE A FEW MODS ON THIS ONE....but then that's the Germans for you.....FCR41 flatslides.....bigger SS exhaust system, oil temp gauge....and strangly....Zero mileage on the clocks...so presumably a whole new clock set was installed...Looks like a brand new engine fitted also....as this engine is grey crankcase covers and silver cylinders....which is a later engine than was available at the time the DB2's were made...it also looks brand new...albeit the bike has been sat in someones lounge since 2006...

https://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/details.html?id=241167510&damageUnrepaired=NO_DAMAGE_UNREPAIRED&isSearchRequest=true&makeModelVariant1.makeId=3400&pageNumber=1&scopeId=MB&searchId=9c3fdb51-3ac8-e5e0-781b-e57bd70c0134

DB4's though regularly at 7500gbp or euros....3 in the UK and 4 or five in Italy and Germany...and these qualify for classic insurance also now as they are over 15 years old....
stratos

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:49 am    Post subject: buying DB2 in UK Reply with quote

Hi 2bims
I can see the DB4 is better value but think you hit the nail on the head with the chrome molly tubing and the stance of a DB2 I had a Harris Magnum 1 back in the day so that is probably why I prefer the DB2, thanks again for taking the time to post the options up.
Regards Mark
welshlamb

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:17 pm    Post subject: one less on the market Reply with quote

Stratos, my bike is now sold. Have a try on one for size and happy hunting!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> DB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: