Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

SB6 adjustment of fuel mixture screw. and airbox rubbers

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gunslinger

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:06 pm    Post subject: SB6 adjustment of fuel mixture screw. and airbox rubbers Reply with quote

Questions:
Is it at all possible to reach the carburator air mix adjust screw, when mikuni is installed on a SB6 ? With original airfilterbox installed ? Mine is a MK1 model

I think they are defaulted to 2 turns out according to GSX R manual.
Is that it.... ?

Confused

Trick:
Rubbers on filterbox gets F****** hard and too small in diameter through time.
So refitting box becomes a nightmare, since it will try to slip off when tightning the clamps. The rubbers seem to be shaped conically while sitting on carbs.
- but boiling them in water and fitting them to a oversized tube approx 61 mm in diameter while cooling. -Seems to straight them out. Also fit a toolsocket inside the rubber to help widen them out from inside.
The mikunis are 58 mm. outside diameter on airbox side.

Question:
However the shape of the airbox-carb adapter rubbers are strangely small in inside diameter on my bike??? - could mine be of wrong type? - or are they because of a power restricted type ? - maybe someone of you have pictures? - cant upload any myself. (and i did buy the bike in Germany yrs ago) - AND the rubbers have no trumpet shape at all. Other bikes have trumpets(yzf/FZR) - maybe italian filosophy ? Shocked

Last edited by gunslinger on Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My airbox rubbers were like that but were changed when I had some tuning done. I think they used some gsxr1100w rubbers which are trumpet shaped. They're cut a little inside to fit the airbox and only the two outside rubbers are fixed to the airbox.

I've probably got some pictures somewhere but haven't moved away from photobucket yet ... which hosting site should I use ?
2bims

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

imgur.com ......hosting site...free again...easier to use once mastered...allows Forums...and Absolutely NO pop-ups, adverts...dodgy links etc etc...should have changed over years ago
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2bims wrote:
imgur.com ......hosting site...free again...easier to use once mastered...allows Forums...and Absolutely NO pop-ups, adverts...dodgy links etc etc...should have changed over years ago

That's something to do in the next few days
gunslinger

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be looking forward for some pictures, if you have got some in stock..

-so Mr helpful evilchicken have removed the old rubbers (that were gsxR trumpet ones? and maybe original) and replaced them with other types ? if I understand correct.
and" some tuning" -was that just jetting ? Maybe fitting Separate airfilters (KN)? - did it work?

My Mk1 -airbox is black plastic and im quite sure its original - all 4 rubber adapters are inserted into eggshaped holes in airbox frontface. Quite simple - and maybe too simple??

Rubbers can be described as approx 35 mm inside diameter plus one separate bore for the two airjets on carb. The rubber is quite thick in body (bulky) and not easy to squash together.
As mentioned, they become hard to fit to carburator because all 4 has to come on in one go..[/i] and the airbox is a bit flexy.

I'll try and see if this imgur.com is easy to operate. Maybe someone can inform all in BIMOTA forum about this new option and explain how to do?

Regards
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No - the original Bimota rubbers were changed for GSXR ones. I had a flat KnN panel cut to fit into the original SB6 box.
The 2 KnN filters instead of the airbox don't fit under the bodywork, I had a dyno jet kit put in it but there was other work too.
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you see it
How do I upload and control the size of the image ?

Last edited by Evilchicken0 on Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:46 pm; edited 3 times in total
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So here we go - the bike without bodywork

Standard airbox and standard rubber - looks familiar huh ?

The GSXR1100 rubbers to cylinders 2+3 fix to the carbs first. You can see they've been cut to fit together in the airbox

The outer carbs 1+4 trumpets stay on the airbox

So to fit up the airbox put on 2+3 and then side the airbox up them and fix 1+4 the box seals itself against the rubbers - they're tight so they don't leak air into the box
gunslinger

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see what You mean now. A bit fiddeley, but if it works. I notice You have made the filterbox bigger ?
The filter has been extended, maybe to make space for the trumpet orchestra inside...
And yes I have the same original trumpet free rubbers... odd
I guess You have two airboxes, original and modded.

About adjusting fuel/air mixture on the carbs. It is not possible i guess.. unless you are a very small hobbit with extra small hands.

Is the heatshield on the exhaust original ?

Neat - extended mirrors with lamps Smile

You have a super nice ride ! Is the paint scheme original ? I have no clue of what they were back then. mine is red white and carbon.
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The filter is the KnN flat panel and is held on with the original plastic retainer the screws are longer and have spacers. The airbox is original and the only one I have. The middle trumpets are longer than the side ones which helps.

Mirror extenders were from Switzerland - through the Swiss owners club. I cut the indicators into the mirrors, I bought some indicators that I though were about the right shape then cut and shut them in. The LEDs are on the circuit board from the indicators I trimmed it down put some foam over the back and stuck it in with gaffa tape Confused It works though. It also cleans up the look of the fairing.

The heat shield on the exhaust is aftermarket - the forum had a batch made. I've also had the pipes Camcoated (ceramic) it makes the bike easier to ride because it doesn't burn your ass after 100 miles.

No the paint is different .... and not very good - you can see theres some on the mirror indicators, I took them sued them in court. Plain simple colours help to show the bikes shape a bit better
brian

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work Boris. One of my pet hates on this bike is getting the airbox back on.
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brian wrote:
Nice work Boris. One of my pet hates on this bike is getting the airbox back on.

I take no credit for this - it was Pete the Plumber who did it. He rebuilt the top end too.
brian

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evilchicken0 wrote:
brian wrote:

I take no credit for this - it was Pete the Plumber who did it. He rebuilt the top end too.

Well... good on Pete the Plumber Laughing . Multi skilled
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> SB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: