Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

SB6 identification
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
T8KC

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:40 am    Post subject: SB6 identification Reply with quote

Hi, I recently purchased an SB6 and would like to know exactly which series it is. The serial number is 008 and it is registered as a 1995 model. I know the main fairing has been replaced because it is the 2-piece style and doesn't have turn signal mounts. The CF tank cover and rear subframe is still there. The bike has been repainted with a non-standard pattern.

I will work on posting a photo as I see this website requires it be posted on a URL first.

The wheels are magnesium (Dymag looking) and the fork has rebound/compression, but no pre-load adjustment. The rear shock is Ohlins. The brake reservoirs are separate.
2bims

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there...I presume you are Tate Casey?

Posted up on Facebook?

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10204307100433322&set=pcb.1572900389494277&type=3&theater&ifg=1

Bike looks like a Mk 1...although I am no SB6 expert...you have built in black coffin pot reservoirs for the front brake and clutch?..as opposed to gold series brembo masters with separate plastic reservoir pots?

The wheels are 3 spoke...Bimota branded "oscom" alloy cast wheels....so less issues than if they were magnesium dymags or others...later SB6's could have Antera or Marchesini 3 spoke wheels

The "splits" on the side fairings are made by a previous owner to assist the removal of the bodywork...which would have been one piece clamshell from new...only splitting at the belly pan...meaning you have to prise it open and drag forwards over and under the front wheel to remove...quite a pain if you weren't used to it....The top and fairings have carbon panels...but are fibreglass mostly with carbon layers where it was due to be exposed for effect.

Numbering system on Bimotas in the USA is different to those elsewhere...the USA got individual new numbers for each year of production...meaning if sold for 4 years..there could be 4 No. 8 bikes over there....but stamped with a year for each year

Theres a few pictures here on the Swiss register for early and later Sb6's and others....the only known register for Bimotas that is maintained

http://www.bimota.ch/register/register_bimota_sb_en.html
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes a mark 1 - missing the rear hugger though Wink
2bims

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evilchicken0 wrote:
Yes a mark 1 - missing the rear hugger though Wink

Good spot....I thought the rear end looked spacious and tidy....must be all that blingy polished swingarm, frame and footpeg hanger plates that blinded my normally alert vision......
2bims

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New rear hugger...would this fit a Mk 1???

Only asking coz its BimotaClassicParts and sometimes parts get mixed up...

https://www.ebay.it/itm/Parafango-posteriore-in-carbonio-Bimota-SB6-SB7-Mudguard-carbon-fib-502670150/222796988273?hash=item33dfbc3f71:g:1b0AAOSwV-RXFOIy
T8KC

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2bims wrote:
Hi there...I presume you are Tate Casey?

Posted up on Facebook?

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10204307100433322&set=pcb.1572900389494277&type=3&theater&ifg=1

Bike looks like a Mk 1...although I am no SB6 expert...you have built in black coffin pot reservoirs for the front brake and clutch?..as opposed to gold series brembo masters with separate plastic reservoir pots?

The wheels are 3 spoke...Bimota branded "oscom" alloy cast wheels....so less issues than if they were magnesium dymags or others...later SB6's could have Antera or Marchesini 3 spoke wheels

The "splits" on the side fairings are made by a previous owner to assist the removal of the bodywork...which would have been one piece clamshell from new...only splitting at the belly pan...meaning you have to prise it open and drag forwards over and under the front wheel to remove...quite a pain if you weren't used to it....The top and fairings have carbon panels...but are fiberglass mostly with carbon layers where it was due to be exposed for effect.

Numbering system on Bimotas in the USA is different to those elsewhere...the USA got individual new numbers for each year of production...meaning if sold for 4 years..there could be 4 No. 8 bikes over there....but stamped with a year for each year

Theres a few pictures here on the Swiss register for early and later Sb6's and others....the only known register for Bimotas that is maintained

http://www.bimota.ch/register/register_bimota_sb_en.html

Thanks for the info. It looks like the bike has been down on the right-side so the fairings were probably replaced at that time and re-painted.
Yes, I'm Tate from FB. Nice to meet you all. My normal passion is Ducati and I have many of those, but also some Suzuki GSX-R so the SB6 is a good combination for me.
Compared to a 916, the SB6 steers much easier, but I miss the mid-range torque of the V-twin. Not surprisingly, the engine feels much like my track modified GSX-R750.
https://www.motorosso.net/1986-suzuki-gsxr750/
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe. You'd have to look at the swingarm and see if the hugger's tabs line up with rivinuts.

Oh and the saddle has been covered with more - poofwoof
vort28

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the bike has been down the road at some stage there were only 2 options for replacement fairings. Pukka Bimota = Mega bucks , copied part made by a bloke in the original Bimota Enthusiasts club = reason price and split for ease of maintenance . So looks like one of his.
Your bike is also an early one with the solid footrest plates. These were later changed due to snapping the frame lugs off if dropped. ( you may want to remove and check as RHS plate does not seem to line up that well )
vort28

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the bike has been down the road at some stage there were only 2 options for replacement fairings. Pukka Bimota = Mega bucks , copied part made by a bloke in the original Bimota Enthusiasts club = reason price and split for ease of maintenance . So looks like one of his.
Your bike is also an early one with the solid footrest plates. These were later changed due to snapping the frame lugs off if dropped. ( you may want to remove and check as RHS plate does not seem to line up that well )
T8KC

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will check the R/S peg mounts for damage.
The brake pedal needs to be straightened out as it is bent inwards.

My intention was to do a 12K mile service on it as I doubt the valves have ever been adjusted from new. The thought was to remove the engine to do the service, upgrade to a 530 chain/sprockets, check/replace the clutch, etc.
At that time, I could check the frame, steering head bearings and so on. The forks were recently rebuilt (Lindemann Engineering), but the rear shock may need service and a heavier spring.

Any advice on this would be appreciated.
T8KC

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a photo of the dash (sorry for the upside down orientation).
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10204316915078682&set=p.10204316915078682&type=3&theater&ifg=1
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup aussie dash Very Happy
I dropped the clipons down the forks so you can get under the screen a bit ... you don't feel like a praying mantis
2bims

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vort28 wrote:

Yeh...I spied that "gap" between the frame RHS and solid footrest plate....later plates were milled thru to just leave a perimeter....thus on dropping the bike they may bend or sacrificially snap...and not bend frame lugs or bend into and damage the swingarm...which I;ve seen before...

Later version footpeg hanger plates look like these...

https://www.ebay.it/itm/SUPPORTO-PEDANA-DESTRA-E-SINISTRA-BIMOTA-SB6-SB7-SB6-R-NUOVE-E-ORIGINALI/222790244035?hash=item33df5556c3:g:AV8AAOSwYmZXDhrX
2bims

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re the rear shock...often overlooked and not serviced...but they are a quality Ohlins piece....possibly 2-3 times the price of what Jap manufacturers were using at the time....adjustable for ride height.....2 locking nuts at base on a threaded rod...adjustable for preload/setting sag....2 locking rings on the spring and lots and lots of thread to adjust...and multi click adjustable for rebound and compression...so I'd have a play setting the sag first and tightening up the spring if heavy loads are to be carried before thinking if it needs refreshing...they seem to stand up to years of use without screaming out for maintenance.....wind compression and rebound all way out...try...and all way in and try...then settle for happy medium....
T8KC

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to know about the ride-height adjustment. My thought was to have it serviced when the engine comes out.

My goal is to get all the mechanical parts working correctly so I can ride it hard on a track day. I don't enjoy riding high-performance motorcycles that are not 100% mechanically. It is my ass in the seat!

Speaking of seats, there was a mention that the seat has been recovered which is correct.

I do have the last 10 years worth of service records. This includes a carb re-jetting and dyno session by Cary Andrews of Hypercycle here in SoCal. The dyno sheet shows 132.7 HP so I'm confident that the engine is in good shape mechanically and only needs some routine servicing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> SB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: