Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

YB9sri - race or preserve?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
eLo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:59 pm    Post subject: YB9sri - race or preserve? Reply with quote

I would be happy to get some opinions from other Bimota-owners about what to do. After working on the bike for more than a year, the bike is now more or less ready for the road - or for the track...? It has a fully functional injection system (pulled it apart last year), all the original parts are there and it's red. I have a spare set of bodywork and have prepared this for racing. I also have another engine with carbs and loom ready should the injection system play up.
Anyone with experience with racing the YB9sri perhaps? As I also have other Bimotas, I might be prepared to take the risk bringing it to the track. But then again, how many working sri's are still alive...?
phil-short

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I often wonder how many SRI's are still runners, I know a lot had injection problems.
I have one and it never misses a beat. 42,000 kms about now and I use it as a road bike and do the occasional track day on it. As regards racing I would say why not? I haven't found mine to be stressed by the trackdays I have done (maybe that is because I am a crap rider) but remember the motor is basically a Yanaha in line 4 and capaple of taking a thrashing. I was lucky enough to get a full Arrow race system from the original race prepped batch and that gives a great power boost over the Franconi system.... not to mention an incredible howl when the red line approaches
And you have a fall back position if you do blow it up! But remember a new R6 is still going to have more horses and newer running gear but only half as much soul.......
brian

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to be competitive and win races there are many better race bikes to do that on. To win races obviously you need to be prepared to crash the bike.

However... purely for the WOW factor of a Bimota race bike, it would bee super cool. There's very few Bimota race bikes in Australia, may be more common in Europe
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
eLo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I decide to make a racebike out of it, I'll take part in the Classic Supersport class (1988-1998) here in Scandinavia. I'm no racer myself so I have no thought about winning races, only to get out there and have fun.
The bike has done less than 30' kms and has only had to previous owners so it hasn't been abused (only neglected...).
phil-short

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is the way to go then
You have to race it now so.
And you have to tell us all about it.
And we need to see lots of pictures or it never happened!
I am serious, I wanna know .
Smile
eLo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, I feel the pressure... Ok, so I need to learn the picture thing.
phil-short

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The picture thing is easy enough. Sign up free with these guys
https://postimages.org/

Upload whatever pic you want to show here to that site. Then copy the link marked *hotlink for forums* and paste it here

Job done.
eLo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like this (?):

And this (?):
eLo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehey, it worked - thanks a lot phil-short!
Next thing in line is to modify the angle of the silencer to match up with the lines of the bodywork. I've modified a couple of pipes I had lying around and paired them with a carbon silencer. I plan to use the passenger footpeg bracket as before, but now without the peg and its mounting bracket. I will drill multiple holes in the silencer bracket to allow for some adjustment lenghtwise.
eLo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And now making way for an endurance-appearance on the race fairing...
phil-short

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That race bodywork looks okay. You got them with the bike I assume.Or do you know where I could get a top half of the fairing.
I know Piero in BCP has the moulds for them but a bit more than I was planning on spending seeing as I am not using the fairing anymore but wouldn't mind having a good spare for my box of bits.
phil-short

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want I can send you some pics of the mounting for my Arrow system for comparison?
eLo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pics of the mounting would be great! The race fairing is simply an extra standard bodywork that came with the bike. It's been slightly modified to accommodate an oil/water-spill tray in the underbelly. As it had been painted orange at on stage, I choose to give it a bit of 90's flair...
phil-short

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the set up on mine anyway.

eLo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the pics! That's a bit mor tilted than mine for sure, more in line with the factory racers. I liked the carbon cover for the rear break master cylinder - is that a Bimota part or did you have it specially made?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> YB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: